Convolution

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by JoeyT 23, Mar 2, 2008.

1. JoeyT 23

JoeyT 23 Ancient

Convolution
    Created by JoeyT 23
    [br]
    Supported Gametypes:
    Team Slayer - MLG TS v4 or Team Slayer with battle rifles as starting weapon
    [br]
    Map Description
    I was bored of the everyday matchmaking and was determined for once to make a very playable forge map on Foundry. I had the majority of the week off of school so I planned a weekend project consisting of forge. For the first week I designed the majority of this map working for over 15 hours. The next week was full of touchups making sure the map was just perfect.

I feel that I ended up with a very solid team slayer map. Either MLG TS v4 or regular Team Slayer with battle rifles as the starting weapon works best. As you can see this map has not been thrown together. Great time as been spent trying to make a playable Team Slayer map that looks good, looks clean, and flows well. The other part of Foundry is blocked off making the battlefield a perfect square. It is also impossible for any player to jump out of the map. After playing around on this map for awhile I have found numerous grenade bounces that take certain strengths away from certain areas, balancing the map wonderfully.
    [br]
    [br]
    Blue Side Walkway to Middle
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Red Base
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Blue Base
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Above Red Base
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Above Blue Base
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Below Red Base
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Below Blue Base
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Middle Platform
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Sniper Porch
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Stairs Behind Both Bases
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    Map Overview
    [​IMG]
    [br]
    By taking one quick look over my map you will be comfortable with your surroundings from the beginning. It is not a map with random stuff everywhere. It was well thoughtout and made in a professional manner. If you like what you see please take the time to download, rate, and comment. Thank you all very much and I hope you like my work.

Weapons on Map
    Rocket Launcher - no spare clips - 180 second respawn
    Sniper Rifle - one spare clip - 150 second respawn
    Mauler - one spare clip - 120 second respawn
    Covenant Carbine x 2 - two spare clips - 90 second respawn
    Battle Rifle x 5 - two spare clips - 10 second respawn
    Frag Grenade x 4 - 30 second respawn
    Plasma Grenade x 5 - 30 second respawn

(MLG Weapons and Respawn Times)
    [br]
    Download Convolution
    Download MLG TS v4
    [br]

2. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

Very neatly made.

3. LIGHTSOUT225

i like it already. im DLing and ill get back to ya with some feedback homie.

Welcome to ForgeHub

4. gorebound

gorebound Ancient

Hello and welcome to the forums! If there's anything that you're wondering about then just feel free to ask.
    The map looks really good, it shows that you've taken the necessary time it takes to make a good map.

Peace // gorebound

5. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

This should be interesting...

6. Atheos23

Atheos23 Ancient

Reminds me of Foundation. Nice arena-style map with plenty of nooks. Excellent interlocking so we don't have to struggle with sloppy design and misalignment. I like.

7. BANDiT

BANDiT Ancient

Nice! 5/5 from the pics,
    I'll need tuh download to see how it really playzz

8. alcapone900

alcapone900 Ancient

5/5 im downloading. It looks like a lot of fun.

9. Cr0ok3d

Cr0ok3d Ancient

Very nice, Looks extremely neat. I will check it out.

10. A Nasty Fresh

A Nasty Fresh Ancient

Wow this suprises me alot. Most new members never read the rules for posting a map. This is his first post and he did it perfectly. Also the map is great too. Nice job looks very clean and unique. DLing now. Were you trying to get this map to join the other homemade MLG Maps?

Oh and welcome to forge hub. I'm thinkin this guy will become very well respected just because of this first post.

11. LIGHTSOUT225

great job...im definitely a fan! Love the layout, mostly bi-level with the chance for a 3rd in a couple places.. simple and effective. I havent played any matches on it...just did a forge-through, but it seems well balanced. I like the originality in how you housed the Rocket Launcher, and the unique use of the dumpsters lining the middle run. I like the three pronged set of double boxes coming out from the side, and it makes the map have a sort of forerunner feel to it. And of course the Powerups for Base signs is always a great touch...im gonna have to start implementing this in my maps as its catching on pretty quickly. Id love to see how it works with a full party, and maybe play some objective games here to see how she flows. But overall, there really isnt anything bad to say about this map...well done homie!

12. TXGhost

TXGhost Ancient

Looks like a good map with very nice interlocking.

13. JoeyT 23

JoeyT 23 Ancient

yes, i made it with the intention of MLG in mind

14. MNM1245

MNM1245 Ancient

This map looks very neat and well made for your first post well done. 5/5 from me!

15. TC DJHellish

TC DJHellish Ancient

Very clean, and very sweet looking. Downloading now.

16. XxTexasHornxX

XxTexasHornxX Ancient

I am impressed too, and I saw this over at MLG and have already given it a go. This is a really nice map, and it seems that MLG and Forge Hub are becoming intertwined more and more. I have seen quite a few maps on both websites recently. I love the idea of us helping them to make really solid competitive maps and them helping us incorporate the competitive (MLG) ways into our maps since I am a big forge guy and competitive guy. Maps like this, inertia, exacted, different level, and others will make MLG showdowns more exciting than the boring Guardian or The Pit showdown.

17. JoeyT 23

JoeyT 23 Ancient

The thing that surprises me TexasHorn is that my map has gotten many more replies and views over here at ForgeHub and it has gotten next to nothing over at MLG. Thanks for all the other comments guys.

18. XxTexasHornxX

XxTexasHornxX Ancient

That is a little odd, especially considering Forge Hubbers are more into casual maps while this map is match made in heaven for MLG. It is really nice none the less. The only problem I can see in this map (haven't gotten a real game going yet) is it seems like it could be a little crammed. When I say crammed, I mean there are so many structures in the middle that it seems you can hop around the map a little too easily easily. The bases are fine, but the only issue to me is how there are the dumpsters, the rocket spawn, and the two sides which protrude out all in the middle. This creates a lot of places to hide and makes grabbing the rockets seem like an easy task. IMO, you need to make the rockets a risk to grab such as the ones in Narrows or The Pit. In both of those maps, the rockets are isolated making it a tough task to grab them unharmed especially at the beginning of the game when everyone rushes them. In this map, you run out, jump to get them, and can escape easily with all of the congestion by their spawn. If I were you, I would create the spawn higher up where they are more exposed, or clear out a few dumpsters or push back the sides to isolate the rockets more. If I were you, I would also create a way back onto the catwalks outside of the base and the rockets. I realize it has the onslaught feel, but on onslaught there is a lot of cover when you are on the ground. On this map, you are a dead man standing out in the open unless you can get behind the dumpsters which are only in the middle lane. Basically, cover is sparse on the sides, but in the middle, there is too much of it. I would either consider placing the rockets higher up and creating stairs to the catwalks, or spreading out the cover which creates less congestion by the rockets and more cover near the catwalks.

I am just spitballin' right now. The map might run perfectly, but I am basing this off my forge through. The map is really clean, and I really love how you set up the stair in the bases. I hope this map gets more recognition. Keep up the good work.

Edit: I just took another look at the screenshots, and the elevated catwalk is so close to the rocket spawn that I feel cover is plentiful on that side. I would focus on the opposite side because it is wide open. I just saw how you created a step up to the base with a crate and really like it. I would put two of those near the lower side to add another way onto that catwalk. With maybe a wall on each side to add cover, you should be set. What about a V wall with a mauler on the ground to add some appeal to the other side since it is opposite of the high ground and the furthest point from the rockets. Just some ideas.

19. LIGHTSOUT225

ive never been much of an MLG guy, but i dont know why youre not getting any attention over there for Convolution. It's impressive. i might just have to go over there and see just what the competition actually is like...must be pretty stiff. anyways, i love the columns you created using the wire spools, and i tend to disagree with texas about the rockets, i like them there.

20. JASONYO

JASONYO Ancient

just wondering if u could get those powerups, if u cant how, gametype or hight