Contest idea: Ten minute map

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Nutduster, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Sugar

Sugar Forerunner

I stand corrected and ashamed...

2. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

I really like this idea, its unique and interesting. My only complaint is that 10 mins is a very shot time, though I understand nott wanting to bump it up far. So how about 13-15?

3. Ociee

Ociee Forerunner

Make it 30 minutes and you've got a deal.

4. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

I'll do some practical tests between now and the launch date on this - I want to see how long of a video clip you can easily upload and download from a fileshare, and how long it takes to fast forward through each minute of video, because those factors will determine how huge of a pain it would be to judge this thing when entries start rolling in. If I can make it longer without sapping my will to live, I may do so.

5. Spawn of Saltine

Talk to SharpShooter or Brocco about this too. They're planning on getting some of this stuff more mainstream, so passing the idea by them wouldn't be a bad idea.

It does need to be longer than 10 mins though imo.

6. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

It would take less time than that. If you play em' in quicktime, you can just scrub through in seconds since it doesn't skip frames. Playing them in VLC would take a little longer, but you could still just click through it a few times to make sure it wasn't chopped together.

7. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

In that case though wouldn't they have to be rendered? That's an awful lot of somebody's Bungie pro minutes.

8. GrenadeGorilla8

GrenadeGorilla8 Forerunner

I'm not trying to be a downer but I don't really see this contest working out very good

9. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Imo, this competiton concept is extremely fail. I spent 6 hours last night building the first version of a map that needs a lot of extra work and it's rather small. 10 minutes would have got me the flooring done in one small area of that map and that's it. People forge with different speeds and accuracy so forcing everyone to the timescale is stupid. Also, what if someone has to lay one block to finish the map and finishes placing it at 10:01? Do they have to delete the block to be within the time limit? Do they have to rebuild the entire map and try and be quicker? If they don't, how long do people have to keep going over the time limit? Would everyone essentially just keep pushing the time limit back eventually getting rid of the point of the competition in the first place?

10. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

I think people are missing the point of the contest.
    This isn't meant to produce perfect maps, it's just a test at how good can you produce playable map geometry given the time restrictions. I'd say 10 -30 mins would be appropriate for this "speedy" map build, and I'm sure you can find a few more judges that would be more than glad to help you go through the films.

You can count me in on this contest.

11. james 24993

james 24993 Forerunner

You'd actually need to finish at 9:59 since the timer is only good to one second :(

I think with this you definatly wouldn't be able to use coordinates...Just not enough time.

12. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

It's not stupid, it's A. deliberately silly, and B. a challenge. It's just for fun, so lighten up, eh? But in response to your example there, the idea is that you can prepare for this brief forge window however you like. If you can build an entire map in advance and then RE-build it in 10 minutes, you'll probably do better than someone who goes in without much of a clear idea of what they're building. You will probably also be able to co-forge (this aspect hasn't been completely decided yet) which would theoretically mean doubling or tripling how much work you can feasibly accomplish, in whatever amount of time ends up being available to you.

They have 10 minutes (or X minutes). If they change the geometry in any way after that limit, their entry is disallowed. How they answer your first hypothetical question there is entirely up to them, so long as that extra block isn't on their map when I load it up.

Why thank you. Yes, that is exactly the point. I hardly expect anyone to make anything truly awesome, but you know what? Even if you really put a lot of pre-planning into it and built a (simple) map first with the intent of rebuilding it in ten minutes, I doubt this will eat up more than an afternoon. And I'm not planning to give out a million dollar cash prize for first place. So people would be encouraged to just take it on its own terms: as a light-hearted exercise in seeing what's possible, within a seemingly impossible limitation. And if I can manage to make it longer than ten minutes without breaking the Reach file system or wanting to commit suicide halfway through the judging, then I will.

#32 Nutduster, Aug 5, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  13. EoT Kavle

EoT Kavle Forerunner

Contest name:
    10 Minute Mayhem

14. SimJiv

SimJiv Forerunner

Awesome ;)

15. james 24993

james 24993 Forerunner

I've just thought of a new rule...The timer doesn't start until the first object has been spawned AND RELEASED.

16. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

I co forged a map that came from a published map in less than 10 min with xtc pants , it was a 16 player grifball map. I will have to ask if he still has the video. It was published as grifball stadium after 3 different versions

17. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

I have to disagree here. The concept is solid, but the 10 minute part is fail. That said, this was simply an idea put on the table so that people could contribute their own ideas for rules in order to form a workable contest.

If I were hosting this contest, I'd require maps to be co-forged and give them a solid hour to make their map. With intricate planning of all aspects (layout, spawn locations, spawn zone set-up, weapons, elevation changes, objective locations, etc) down to a tee, a team of forgers would have a great shot at making something decent.

The main downside to a contest like this is that participants won't get a chance to test their map whatsoever. In a way this is kinda cool too, because it showcases that team's knowledge of what makes a good map, even if they can't see it realized in 3D right away. You have to know that your designs will work at least moderately well without needing it to be tested.

I like the basic idea, it just needs to get some details ironed out. I quickly learned from the 5k budget contest how imperative it is to think of every little thing ahead of time.

#37 Frozenlynx, Aug 9, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  18. v clinical v

v clinical v Forerunner

I think this is a WICKED contest idea. I would make the time 15min at minimum tho, and if your research discovers that it could be more like 25 min, then that's awesome. I would enter for sure.

And for the BPro minutes thing, it doesn't have to be BPro. We could enlist a few people with PVRs and a few extra hours lying around here or there to render the video.

19. Berb

Berb Forerunner
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Next contest: the sixty minute map contest

And hour is a perfect amount of time to give. For alot of forgers, (including myself) would still think that is a very short time frame to build a map. However, a roughish map could be made properly in the time limit if the forger works fast. If the time is an hour, the contest will:
    A) Probably have more entrants due to the added fairness
    B) Entrees will be better
    C) Entrees will still be rough, so your 'just for fun' factor is still present.

20. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

Agreed, I was about to suggest an hour as the time frame.