Sandbox Concavity

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by GladiateSmiths, May 25, 2009.

1. GladiateSmiths

GladiateSmiths Ancient

[​IMG]

By GladiateSmiths

-

Introduction

Concavity is my newest map, and probably my greatest to date. I hadn't forged anything in a while in the time that I started Concavity, and I was getting frustrated with myself. Sandbox had come out, and I knew that this was the time to get started on forging again. Concavity really started by accident. I was just messing around in Forge on Sandbox, looking at the pieces and seeing what structures I could make. The map started with the structures that are now the three pillars against the back wall of either base, then I built the walkways around that, and from there, the concave outer walls that gave the map it's name. After that, the entire map was constructed in a relatively short period. I never had a set plan, I just let the map go where it would, so to speak. Thus, the finished product, Concavity.

Description

Concavity is a medium-small, symmetrical, competitive map. The map can effectively be divided into five individual sections: two bases, two side hallways, and one central path. It has a somewhat MLG feel, though this was never intended, and the map is not set up for MLG gametypes. Now, for the tour of the map:

= Overview

[​IMG]
    Overview

This is a perfect overview of the entire map. Red Base and Blue Base are shown by the colored columns, and the two hallways and the middle path are clearly shown.

= Red Base / Blue Base

This is where the teams spawn. The bases have three pillars against the back wall, and wood walkways surrounding them, with the main spawn areas underneath. The bases then turn into two walls, each of which has a slit to shoot through. Between these walls is a straight path through the center of the map, to the opposite base. And on the outside of the walls are entrances to the side hallways. There is a Battle Rifle leaning against the middle pillar on the walkways. A Brute Shot rests against the walls inside the base. Plasma Grenades spawn in each shooting slit. SMGs and Plasma Rifles lean against the ends on the outside of the walls, on either side, right before the entrance to the hallways.

[​IMG]
    Red Base

[​IMG]
    Blue Base

Birds eye veiws of both bases. Here the back pillars and walkways can clearly be seen, with a Battle Rifle on the middle pillar. The red and blue columns mark the bases, and make up part of the walls.

[​IMG]
    Red Spawn Area

[​IMG]
    Blue Spawn Area

These are the main spawn areas for either team. The pictures show starting spawns, against the middle pillar under the walkways. Many of the team spawns are underneath the walkways. The Battle Rifle and ramps leading to the walkways can clearly be seen.

[​IMG]
    SMG Wall

[​IMG]
    Plasma Rifle/Brute Shot Wall

These are the two walls that separate the base from the middle of the map. The weapons can clearly be seen, as well as the Plasma Grenades floating above the ramps to the shooting slits. The shots only show Red Base, but everything is mirrored on the blue side.

= The Center

[​IMG]
    Center Structure

[​IMG]
    View From Center to Base

[​IMG]
    Center with Shotgun

[​IMG]
    Door to Side Hallways

This is the center of the map. It is essentially a straight hallway, but has a center structure and doorways to both Side Hallways. The center structure consists of a hill, and two pillars and a block that create a "gate" of sorts. On this hill, two Frag Grenades spawn, and, two minutes into the game, a Shotgun. The last screenshot shows what the doorways to the side hallways look like.

= Side Hallways

[​IMG]
    Bubble Shield Hall

[​IMG]
    Needler Hall

These are the Side Hallways, that, like the Center, go straight to the opposing base. The hallways are symmetrical, except that one has a Bubble Shield, and one a Needler. Both of these items rest upon a block. Off the ground, on either side of the block, are wooden "rafters". These can be used to gain height during a battle, or to surprise an enemy. Doorways to the Center can be seen in both pictures.

Weapons & Gameplay

= Weapons

Here is the list of weapons and equipment, spawn times, and for the power weapons, clips.

2x Battle Rifle, 30 sec.
    4x (two pairs) SMG, 20 sec.
    4x (two pairs) Plasma Rifle, 20 sec.
    2x Brute Shot, 60 sec., one spare clip
    1x Needler, 90 sec, one spare clip
    1x Shotgun, 120 sec. (2:00), does not spawn at start, 0 spare clips

2x Frag Grenade, 60 sec.
    4x Plamsa Grenade, 45 sec.
    1x Bubble Shield, 60 sec.

= Gameplay

Concavity plays symmetrically. Gametypes supported are Team Slayer, Multi Flag, and Slayer, though I would not recommend FFA Slayer.

Recommended:

2-6 players, even teams.

- Team Slayer: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, Battle Rifle starts recommended, but by no means required.
    - Multi Flag: 2v2, 3v3, Battle Rifle starts recommended, but by no means required. Works best when flag return time is set to 10 sec. and flag reset time is set to 15 sec.

= Action Shots

Team Slayer 3v3

[​IMG]
    Proper Use of Side Hallway Rafters
    I'm the red guy. I got assassinated.

[​IMG]
    Aftermath

[​IMG]
    Teamwork

Multi Flag 3v3

[​IMG]
    Making a Getaway

[​IMG]
    Stopped

[​IMG]
    Returning the Flag

=

Thank you very much for checking it out, and again, the download link:

))Concavity((

#1 GladiateSmiths, May 25, 2009
    Last edited: May 25, 2009
  2. Mr Sped

Mr Sped Ancient

Hey I remember playing this Yesterday. Its a Great map, I just love the way it looks and feels. I was confused while playing it yesterday, but now that i can see these pictures the Layouts much more clear to me. Once again Great job GladiateSmiths.

3. JIF or PNUT

JIF or PNUT Ancient

Small but functional, I like the tightness of it. I'll give it a DL and see how it plays. . .

4. Eculc

Eculc Ancient

looks amazing...seamless interlocking and nice balance. plus, you choose to go through the center, around one side for the needler, or arount the other for the bubble shield. looks great, I'l DL.

5. OMGItzOrion

OMGItzOrion Ancient

Nice, this map has great asthetics and I can tell that you did a really good job making it symmetrical. Keep up the great work.

6. J4M NUTST3R

J4M NUTST3R Ancient

Great map, well done gladiate. Yes, you did get assassinated XD, i loved playing it yesterday, once again, well done.

7. GladiateSmiths

GladiateSmiths Ancient

Thanks for the download, I appreciate it. Let me know what you think.

Yeah, thanks a lot for testing!

8. ShadowVanish

ShadowVanish Ancient

This map looks nice and plays well but there are some spawn killing problems still. I helped you test this a few times so I have seen it. I havent looked at it in Forge yet but have you tried having carefully places respawn areas and central neutral spawn points so they have a place to go when spawn killed?

9. Forge|Designer|C13

loving the wooden beams, and walkways nice anesthetic feature, also in game pics seam to have a good game play vibe a defo DL.

10. GladiateSmiths

GladiateSmiths Ancient

Since you played it last, I had the spawns checked by a better forger than myself, and I worked with them and have eliminated most of the spawn killing.

11. regulargonzales

regulargonzales Ancient

Very nice map. I really like the look of this and I can imagine it would play pretty well with small numbers, 2v2 and 3v3 I guess would work very well indeed for slayer, flag and bomb.

I do have one suggestion though to add another dimension. I notice you have a reasonable amount of budget left... I propose that the entire middle hallway section should have another floor above. I think this would aid gameplay immensely. At the moment, although I can see it playing well, it does seem pretty tight and almost needs another way to get from one side to the other.

Do you think you might be able to go back and simply add a floor in where I have said? I think it would be an excellent addition and hopefully won't be too difficult. If you don't fancy it I might, if I have the time at some point, try incorporating another floor myself (albeit I'm working on another map myself at the moment).

12. cory21

cory21 Ancient

Nice layout, especially with the center area. I'm sure its a great area for BR fights and holding off the enemy in CTF. Overall, the layout is nice and well forged. It's good that you didn't put any weapons such as rocket or sniper, that would have made the map really unbalanced. Great job.

13. GladiateSmiths

GladiateSmiths Ancient

Though I have a considerable amount of budget, I'm only a few objects away from the item limit. Playing on it really didn't make many people long for more, it's not too crowded, and I wanted the gameplay to be simple and straightforward.

14. R0FLninja

R0FLninja Ancient

Well, this looks interesting and very well forged at that, yes it does have an MLG feel, so much actualy that if you edited your weapons list to MLG standards i would have recomended before the map was posted to put it in the MLG map section.

The forging and aesthetics are amazing, and it seems that you put a lot of time in to making the map perfectly symmetical as well as good looking, and same with your map post, excellent job gladiate, a download and a 5/5 from me.

-R0FLninja

15. SmartAlec13

SmartAlec13 Ancient

Ide probably get the layout confused a bit. Glowballs on each side would be nice.

But other then that, looks sweet! Love the use of Scaffholding.

16. GladiateSmiths

GladiateSmiths Ancient

Thanks for all the compliments. The thing is, I actually hate MLG, this map just sort of turned out like that. Again, thanks.

The colored pillars worked fine during the playtests, it's not a very confusing map when you're in it.

17. Flying Dice

Flying Dice Ancient

It looks great, especially for small games of TS. I'll give it a try once my 360 gets back from repairs.

18. Bloo Jay

Bloo Jay Ancient

Amazing map. What gametype would you recomend out of them all to play the map on?
    I'll download and try to get you back a longer review

19. Spanko

Spanko Ancient

Nice map, nice name. Very origional, looks like a gr8 map for doubles. Ill DL and check it out.

20. GladiateSmiths

GladiateSmiths Ancient

Team Slayer and Capture the Flag are equally fun, it just depends on your preference.

And thanks to everyone else commenting.