Community Playlist

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by thesilencebroken, Jan 4, 2011.

1. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

ForgeHub: Our **** does indeed stink.

2. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

^ Lolz.

3. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

Was just looking at that fail of a thread, and wondered Who is Purple Mushroomz? Because +rep to them.

Also, I think that comment by Pac summed it up perfectly. Our **** stinks the same as everyone elses, we just force them to post pics.

+evenmoarrep

4. MaxSterling

MaxSterling Ancient

[​IMG]

5. Neoshadow

Neoshadow Forerunner

:p Yeah I realised about 50 seconds after I posted...

Back on topic, I played a few games on Obsidian today which were fun. Again. The map is better than I originally thought, and the only one I find fun in the entire playlist.

6. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Yes but atleast our **** hasn't been shoved into an international playlist for the whole world to see and play on.

7. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Elevation

Reverence

Funny, those look a lot like Forge Hub threads to me.

But sorry, you were saying something?

8. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump

Ball buster right here! Nice find.

9. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

Don't pretend people aren't referring to the "Forge Hub" forgers. Sure there are tons of people posting maps on our open community but it doesn't necessarily make it a Forge Hub map. Yeah there is a ton of crap..but there are still solid maps that are posted here. Our good maps define us as a community and that's all people are saying.

I honestly find it just as disheartening seeing all these Forge Hub vets going on and talking about how "our **** does stink". Well, if you think that is the case, you only have yourself to blame. I'm not saying anyone has some sort of silly "duty" to forge or anything, but if you want to stop making quality maps, then complain about the lack of quality maps you are being quite hypocritical. This attempt to save face in the eyes of Bungie is a waste of effort. If we can't voice our opinion then why the hell do we have a forum? I'm not saying every map is better here than in that playlist, but there are most certainly some. If Bungie chooses to recognize them or not that is their business, regardless of the reasoning. Everyone is allowed to say they don't like the maps in the playlist, or they do like them, or they think Forge Hub has better stuff but continual bashing of both our site and Bungie's decision is both petty and destructive. This thread is supposed to be about the Community Playlist, not some bullshit comparison between Forge Hub and Bungie.net.

10. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

i dont think anyone was trying to bash FH,
    i think its more like just acknowledging the fact that we arent perfect.
    i see it more as backing us up rather than bashing us.

most other people see us as a stuck up perfectionist elitist corrupt community,
    all these "bashing" people are doing is admitting the fact that we arent perfect,
    and that there is crap here like there is everywhere else.
    sure the "Vets" always have, and always will make great maps, but lately that means nothing anyway.

11. Noble V1

Noble V1 Forerunner

I was pretty disappointed with these maps. Nothing really original about any of them. A few of them have decent layouts but some are just really bad with poor weapon choices too.

12. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Sorry, but bullshit. If the good maps to come out of Forge Hub are worthy of note against the backdrop of discussion on these community playlist choices (which they are), then they should stand on their own merits and be talked about in their own right. The suggestion that Forge Hub as an all encompassing terms means something, especially with respect to a given standard, is senseless. The idea that we can pick and choose which maps represent us doesn't quite fit to me, it seems somewhat cliquey and indefinite, especially considering the context in which most of these B.net comments are being made. By that I mean that being 'from Forge Hub' should mean something as to how a map is looked at by Bungie, as if those taking this advice should be able to look at our content and see what represents us. Featured maps is the only definable quantity in that regard, and there are hardly enough options there for that point of selection to mean anything to Bungie.

The fact is that 'a Forge Hub map' cannot be concretely taken as anything except a map posted here, without going in to the inner workings of respected forgers and a perspective throughly embedded in being within this community in the first place, thus a senseless point of reference on B.net especially when addressed to Bungie and how they should select these maps. And since we have open membership and open posting, any map is potentially a Forge Hub map. FH does not represent a distinct section of the forge community imo, rather it's the most defined single meeting point for the whole of that community, even if not everyone chooses to engage with it as their main path for sharing content. How many people post a map on B.net (and I'm talking about actual publishing, not make a random map and put it on your fileshare, maybe telling a few friends about it) without posting it here at all? The only reason this playlist contains many exceptions to that is likely because they were created for the purposes of the contest and went straight from build to submit without the posting stage being considered necessary by the creator as they built it specifically for that purpose.

Again, I'm not saying other maps that we celebrate here shouldn't be noted by users in B.net discussion as what they would like to see in the playlist. But saying the fact that the best maps come from here means something is just as senseless as saying the same about the worst maps.

Basically this point sums it up:

Anyone is totally allowed to say that they think we have better maps, but to make the kind of pushy, even bordering on self entitled sounding comments that we've seen without accepting that we also have worse maps (because we contain the entire spectrum, in that for the most part our entire content library is the entire spectrum), puts out a self satisfied image that doesn't even help the maps being put forward as 'FH's best'. All it does is create factionistic attitudes where there are no basis for them and give anyone looking at it another excuse to look at the overlaying bracket of 'FH' rather than play the damn map and see how good it is. That is destructive of the entire purpose of any mature discussion on what is thought of the playlist compared to other known community content. Admitting the good and the bad of FH (and seeing the point in dropping such a division because of this spectral nature) is not 'bashing on FH' and I don't think anyone in here criticising the Bungie thread zealots is saying we've never made good stuff, I think you took that bit the wrong way.

#172 Pegasi, Jan 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  13. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

No that's overstating peoples pro-forgehub attitude. No one thinks bungie could come in here and pick any ten maps have a solid playlist. You can't do that with anything anywhere. However a "forgehub playlist" would be comprised of what we think is good; our feature quality stuff. The forge hub map.

Nonetheless this thread is not about forge hub so if discuss steers away from the community playlist again this thread is going kaput.

14. Cosmic Rick

Cosmic Rick Ancient

Is mentioning how awesome it is that they pushed a community playlist out so fast off topic? User created content is the wave of the future. I'm just glad we're all riding on it.

Also, I don't think I've ever agreed with both sides more than in that little Pegasi v. chrstphrbrnnn argument there. Nice work, yous twos.

15. Toastman

Toastman Ancient

Agreed 110%. Too bad Bungie has been dense this whole time and never has allowed custom game searching.....the 1 missing piece of the Halo puzzle to be complete. Now we have to rely on MM playlists....

16. chrstphrbrnnn

chrstphrbrnnn Guardian

No definitely a valid discussion

You know for some reason I've never really thought of that. It would solve a lot of issues wouldn't it. Not a matchmaking system, but rather the lobby system employed by most PC games.

17. Ladnil

Ladnil Ancient

Bungie and Microsoft are too controlling of their content to allow custom game searching. They want a controlled environment at all times so that new gamers aren't exposed to some off-the-wall gametype with poor balance and questionable fun as their first experience. Not to mention that new gamers need the protection of TrueSkill matchmaking as much as possible in order to get a few kills and have fun.

That was the rationale for no snipers or other specialized playlist when Reach first launched, remember? They wanted to make sure everyone was playing the standard version of the game to ease in the newbies before opening things up to stuff like SWAT, Snipers, Grifball, Infection etc.

18. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

no.....the largest problem with a custom games lobby would be product control and server load. Just imagine having to type in with your controller the map creators name every time you wanted to play a customs game over MM. For every 20 or so maps I'd love to play over and over again in such a customs lobby there would be thousands I would not want to play and never would want to play. The server load for allowing full parties of people to search over MM in a customs lobby would be much more than Bungie could handle without massive rebuilding of their infrastructure.

So while people keep asking for it, and while I personally think it would be cool, as a fledgling developer, and avid Bungie podcast listener, it's not going to happen nor ever going to happen.

19. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Sadly this is true. So this community playlist is as close as we're going to get to that system, which I still think is pretty cool. I'm just looking forward to the next hopper that they're going to offer.

20. Loscocco

Loscocco Ancient

Love the maps and wish that more would be added + the playlist would be longer lasting, but 1 or 2 of the maps have pretty bad spawns placed. Also, Ziggurat has no death barriers at the top- jetpack on that map = ultimate exploit.