Community Favorite Map #7

Discussion in 'Features' started by WAR, Dec 23, 2015.

By WAR on Dec 23, 2015 at 11:03 AM
  1. WAR

WAR Cartographer
    The Creator Forge Critic

[​IMG]

We finally reached the light at the end of the tunnel...forge is here and we've been using it for a week now. Our eyes still adjusting to the brightness and magnitude of what it offers. Some of you have acclimated swiftly but most have been asking questions and its great to see everyone helping each other out. The most robust forge system has been handed to us so we thought it was a more than appropriate time to bring back the 'Community Favorite' series!

When this poll was first conducted we only had 10 forge maps to select from which you can see below. Thanks to all that participated on our map page when providing your selections. Here are the nominees:

[​IMG]
    1ST PLACE
    [​IMG]
    By PsychoDuck and 343 Industries
    view map thread

"With Guillotine, I set out to create more of a true remake rather than a reimagining, though I absolutely took the opportunity to make a few adjustments. I took an organic approach to map scaling, tuning each individual jump and line of sight to make the most sense for Halo 5's mechanics and sandbox. Studying how players like StrongSide moved around the map helped me make informed decisions about these scaling adjustments (and allowed me to add lots of new trick jumps). Another thing I wanted to improve was Headlong's vehicle circuit, which was originally somewhat convoluted. I opened up a new movement option for vehicles, allowing them to ramp up to the broken bridge landing, jump through the hanging basket, land behind Blue Building (Soda Room), and re-enter the circuit from there. This new route not only preserves the travel time balance which the original circuit created but also opens up some exciting new options as well." - PsychoDuck

2ND PLACE
    [​IMG]
    By NOKYARD and 343 Industries

view map thread

"I was more than delighted when Standoff was revealed as one of our options, so I grabbed it up and requested another Xbox One with Halo 3 on a second monitor so the original Standoff map was in view at all times. My objective was to remain as faithful to the original as possible, while transposing the angled surfaces with these wonderful new chunky round blocks. The bases were intended to feature a more organic flow which is apparent the first time you experience the right side entrance which features smooth flowing lines and (hopefully) an electrified ambiance. Where this map really shines is the way it showcases the new terrain pieces and how they seamlessly meld with adjoining pieces. In fact, the entire map is floating high above the natural surface of Alpine in order to recreate the cliff on the open end of the map. I am just as excited as any other BTB fan to see how the map looks and plays since the 343i's Forge and multiplayer teams took over construction." - NOKYARD

3RD PLACE
    [​IMG]
    By 343 Industries
    view map thread

Basin is a spiritual sibling to revered playspaces such as Blood Gulch and Valhalla. Basin is loosely based on one of the scattered ONI Research Facilities clustered together on Gamma Halo during the UNSC’s exploratory occupations of the ringworld in 2553, though now the site lives out a virtual purpose to hone the skills of the Spartan-IVs, doing its part to prepare the supersoldiers for the certain danger that lies ahead in the uncharted future forged by the Guardians’ awakening.

Congratulations to our winners! Don't forget to submit your maps to the ForgeHub Map Database to become eligible for future Community Favorite polls. You can play each of these maps in the current Big Team Battle playlist. Stay tuned for the next poll and please vote whenever possible.

REMkings, MartianMallCop and a Chunk like this.
Tags: this article has not been tagged

Comments

Discussion in 'Features' started by WAR, Dec 23, 2015.

1. ukilledkenny7
      ukilledkenny7
      Gotta agree with this. Headlong has always been my favorite map and, due to a bit of synicism, I knew that whoever remade it was going to f*** it up. But it's actually really amazing. And that fact that my favorite map of the game is a forge map is something new for me. Great job PsychoDuck. Can't wait to see what everyone else makes.
    2. Psychoduck
      Psychoduck
      Oh, neat! If anyone's interested, I'm working on an improved version of Guillotine which I'm hoping will eventually replace the current version in matchmaking. The new version sports a different Strongholds setup, tweaks to weapon setup, improvements to driving routes for 'hogs, improvements to spawning, more lines of sight into Cargo, and even more nerdy jumps. So far I've had a blast testing it with magnum starts. I'm glad you guys seem to be enjoying the ma for the most part. It was a challenge to build given our limited time frame, but I think it turned out pretty well in the end.

I can't wait to see all of the new maps which will be contenders for the next Community Favorites!
      Nitro, REMkings, Red Paint and 3 others like this.
    3. purely fat
      purely fat
      dammit orion didn't win
      Xandrith likes this.
    4. WAR
      WAR
      Orion was surprisingly really close to getting 3rd place. It was around 4 or 5 votes away from Basin. None of the Breakout maps made it into the top to 5 though...
    5. purely fat
      purely fat
      if only there were 4 or 5 more trolls that voted
    6. AceOfSpades
      AceOfSpades
      Does anyone actually like Breakout? The maps all seem the same anyway.
    7. Suicufnoc
      Suicufnoc
      I enjoy it, but you're right, it feels like there's 2 maps
    8. cluckinho
      cluckinho
      I actually love playing breakout with my three buddies. I love 1 life games.