Code Impulse

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by GD27 BlueDevil, Aug 10, 2008.

?

How would you rate this map?

Poll closed Aug 25, 2008.
  1. Needs work

5 vote(s)
    9.4%
  2. Allright... I guess

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Pretty cool nice job

14 vote(s)
    26.4%
  4. Awsome Map!

34 vote(s)
    64.2%
  1. Transactionzero

Transactionzero Ancient

Intriguing, this map seems worthy of a review. I will have to check this out.

>For some reason your map didn't dl to my box will have to take a look later today.

Will post what I think when I get back from work.

#41 Transactionzero, Aug 11, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  2. evan12075

evan12075 Ancient

Hey, ok. I got a game of "impulse flag" on this yesterday. although it wasnt with as much people i thought i would have... it was good enough (2v2, 3v3)

First off, what i liked. I loved the settings you had for the game. the speed of the flag carrier is perfect because it would be too easy without that slow carrier to get a score because of all the shield doors on the map.

I absolutely loved the merging. i didn't find one bump, everything seemed to be smooth. as well as that geomerged man cannon.

I was kind of neutral on the layout you had. although it's cool and all... a lot of parts of the map went unused. mostly the whole far side of the map (side opposite of foundry's default bases) nobody really found a reason to go in those areas of the map when all you had to do was go straight towards the building from your starting spawn. Those areas would probably be used in slayer tho... still not in objective games.

I was a little sketchy on your weapon placement/choice. the beam rifle and the shotgun balance out pretty much perfectly (long range/short range) But i aboslutely hated the Camo and Ghost balance. The Ghost seemed useless in this map. the only real open area in the map where the ghost is usefull is in the middle. and that really doesnt help the attacking team at all. sure you can drive the ghost up in the base, but it can easily be stuck by a spike grenade or jacked in those narrow areas. Sometimes it can be good to have power ups in maps. but your choice of active camo, i also absolutely hated. first off, the placement. you spawn right next to it (i dont have a problem with this) but, like i said earlier. that general area doesnt really get used unless you spawn there. you would have to go out of your way to get it (which isnt THAT big of a problem) But the biggest problem with your active camo placement is that you gave it to the defenders. the defenders have no use for active camo in an assymetrical game. it just makes them able to camp even more which makes it easier to defend and harder for the attackers. maybe flip flopping the ghost and the camo would be a lot better?

Now, about the flag spawn... it looks cool and all... but it's horrible. the way you have that set up is just camping paradise. if the defenders get a hold of the shotgun, they just camp out in that little hole. anyone who comes by is screwed. sure someone can chuck grenades in there, but that wont stop the camper from coming out of his shell while your that close to blast you and put a shell in you chest.

Spawns... they were pretty bad. i found myself spawning right in the middle of action quite a few times. and that my friend, is a bad thing. you always want to have someone respawn in a safe area. Kinda like playing co op right? they don't let whoever died spawn until the person alive is in a safe area. When i did a forgethrough on your map, i noticed there was no respawn zones. you might want to work with that and use respawn zones. they really do help.

The elevator. It's a good idea, but i found that it's pretty much useless as well. it takes just a couple seconds more to be jumpy and walk up those stairs to get to the top level, or just use the man cannon. And speaking of the elevator... the custom power-ups still made you fast, i thought part of the gametype was to make the power ups do nothing?

well that's my review. i hope you find this helpful

3. dckilla96

dckilla96 Ancient

its awsome in my opinion. Im horrible at geomerging and you did it perfectly

4. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

Thankyou but how many games did you play? Sometimes people don't goto the ghost instead they walk right by it. The shotgun only has 6 bullets and each base has 2 weapons. Attackers- shotgun and ghost.
    Defenders- active camo and sniper. A lot of testing went into this map. Sometimes things are more useful on maps than others.

For example Gardian. Sometimes the gravity hammer is never used but when it is it is domenant.

Thank you for the advice.

5. evan12075

evan12075 Ancient

only one game as of now...

but anyway, im not sure if you read my post in the right way...

I said that the ghost was useless. not that it wasnt used. it is not a very powerful vehicle in this map because of a lack of open space, except for the middle area. the ghost is limited to space basically. it can go up in that base area, but it is not very powerful due to the spike grenades and it could easily be high jacked.

and yes, i know the shotgun has 6 bullets. but lets say a person from the attacking team grabs the shotgun. they go all the way up in to the base without even having to use it, or run into an ambush, or get BRed down. defenders pick it up, and camp it. seeing as the shotgun can provide one shot kills. 6 bullets is a lot and a big impact for one round.

and what i said about the balance... it is pretty balanced indeed. but like i said earlier which you may have interperted differently. The active camo just allows the defenders to camp more which means again, easier to defend. I suggested flipping the ghost and the camo. the camo would be more useful for the attackers because they could sneak in and grab the flag while the defenders can use the ghost to defend the lower areas.

And please dont forget about what i said about spawns. this map would be so much better if you used respawn zones and there were no respawns right in the middle of action.

i do like the map, i just think it needs a little work. And i do understand a lot of testing went through. but it really helps if those testers give elaborate feedback to you. i dont know who you tested with. but you should definitely test with other good forgers who know how to make a map. that way you have more than one good opinion going in to the map other than your own. you see what i am saying kind of?

6. Celestial Panda

Celestial Panda Ancient

That cave is beautiful. Some of your aesthetic work is just brilliant. Keep it up! I'll DL when my xbox works again :p

7. GD27 BlueDevil

GD27 BlueDevil Ancient

Yes I understand. Thankyou form the advice. I tested it with all members of forgehub including Bl00d F1r3 and a couple of other well known members.

Please play some other games on it. Sometimes ghosts and some weapons are used more than not. Most of the objects in the middle are movable and in the middle there is a lot of space. Check it out in forge mode. It is easy to get around in a ghost.

Plus if you didn't really like Impulse flag try FFA or Team Doubles.

8. Keitapath

Keitapath Ancient

I like all the odd angles you used, none of this boring 90 degree stuff. I think it gives the map a sense of size and impoves gameplay. 4/5

9. evan12075

evan12075 Ancient

alright. i'll try a couple other games. probably one more game of impulse flag and another game of slayer probably. I'll probably get even more feedback for you then ; D

10. LIGHTSOUT225

This looks mighty impressive, sir. I'm going to have to give it a DL and check it out a little closer. Ill try and get back to you with some more feedback in the near future.

11. The Real KingLS2

Dude this map looks very good the layout and the gameplay OMG it is so good!Keep on making maps like these!4.5/5

12. Warfang

Warfang Ancient

Two words: love it! Creative design, excellent forge techniques, and aesthetics. Great for small team assault and 1 sided CTF. It forces you to be tactical, something that so many Halo 3 maps lack. This should be featured sometime!
    Final score: 5/5

13. Thorax tehGREAT

Thorax tehGREAT Ancient

the map looks great cant wait till ur next map which you wouldnt let me see

14. evan12075

evan12075 Ancient

whoa... maybe im just crazy... but did you just delete your post then post it again? i swear you posted that a couple of hours ago...

15. the littel pony

the littel pony Ancient

I wish I could make a map that cool....
    Great geomerging and amazing gameplay!

16. zombiphobia

zombiphobia Ancient

you win at geomerging
    5/5 + DL

17. Lamposts

Lamposts Ancient

Ya this map is amazing, it probably is one of the cleanest and smoothest maps I have ever seen! I really like the caves as well and the geomerging is superb! 5/5 Great map, and keep up making these great maps!

18. Mr Pokephile

Mr Pokephile Forge Labs
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Why didn't you tell me you posted this! Or let me test it! Its freakin awsome!

The Geomerging on this map is to-notch. You did a fantastic job of it. The man cannon in the wall is great I would never had thought of that. All the interlocks are sharp and clean looking. The astechic are amazing too. I am going to half to play a game on this to give you a detailed reveiw. But from what I can see it looks amazing, Feature-able. Nice work, i think this will be on the homepage in due time ;)

19. Zoolader m83

Zoolader m83 Ancient

Am I able to add whatever weapons I want?

20. sexy dude

sexy dude Ancient

wow it is nice to see you care about the game play lol nahh this is a really nice map it looks like it could play well great job