Caves R Us/Eternal Fountain

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by The Sir Toppum Hat, Mar 22, 2008.

?

Did you Like it

1. Yes

57.1%
  2. Somewhat

38.1%
  3. no

4.8%
  1. The Sir Toppum Hat

Download Map

Caves R Us

Author: Sir Toppum Hat 1

Summary:
    This is my first and latest map that I have posted on Forge Hub.
    The map is surrounded by sheering cliffs formed by surrounding mountains.
    There are two bases. One on top of the waterfall and the other carved into the cliff.
    The main cave travels under the map connecting the two bases together. The other cave was formed by years of erosion by the water fall and travels under the map from one side to the other. Unlike other maps that just have open boxes in a row to make a hallway, I put slanted walls and floors that creates an atmosphere of a real cave or tunnel you would see in a mountain rang.
    Above the caves are wide open spaces. (great for epic battles)

There is no specific game type for this map, but I do recommend ether slayer or team slayer. (Other game types are not currently set up on this map)

Because this map is relatively small I
    Recommend a party size from 4-8 players

Name
    The original name of the map was caves, but that was to lame for a map like this so I pondered over some possible names but never found one that I liked. I temporarily called it Caves R Us just because I thought it was somewhat funny and never got around to changing it.

[​IMG]

The Eternal Fountain (updated version of Caves R Us)
    The name of the updated version if this map is going to be, The Eternal Fountain.
    The Eternal Fountain is a cave in Northern Vancouver Island, British Columbia.
    It consist of one waterfall and many passage ways that dip below the earths surface leading to underground caves.

In EternalFountain I have fixed all of the annoying bumps that you got stuck on in the floor. Also I have moved the shield doors on the bases so that they stick half way up from the ground. That way you had a chance when a person with a sward was coming towards you, but you are still protected by bullets from long range.
    The waterfall has also been completely redone. It looks more realistic and plays much better.
    I have also made it so you don’t have to crouch any more to get the active camo.
    Also I have removed the sentinel beam from the map, and have moved weapons around.

Overall the map is a lot cleaner.

The updated version is on my file share I just haven’t posted it yet on Forgehub, I’ve been very busy lately. So if you would like to see the updated version without seeing any pics click here

Weapons

1 Energy Sword
    2 Shotgun
    1 Mauler
    1 Sniper Rifle
    3 Battle Rifle
    1 Needler
    2 SMG
    1 Magnum
    1 Brut Shot
    1 Plasma Pistol
    3 Assault Rifle

Equipment

1 Deployable Cover
    1 Bubble Shield
    1 Trip Mine
    1 Health Regenerator
    4 Plasma Grenade
    2 Spike Grenade
    2 Fire Bomb
    4 Frag Grenade
    1 Active Camo
    1 Over Shield

Picture of 1st Base
    [​IMG]

Picture of 2nd Base
    [​IMG]

Inside 2nd tunnel
    [​IMG]

Inside main tunnel
    [​IMG]

#1 The Sir Toppum Hat, Mar 22, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2009
  2. bib bob

bib bob Ancient

Re: Caves R Us

this map is needs a little work but good idea 7-10

3. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Welcome to Forgehub! I was wondering when you were going to show up here. You first map looks pretty good, but I think it could use a little cleaning up from the look of the pictures. But that could just be from all of the interlocking. I love the waterfall, its a nice aesthetic touch. I think we'll be seeing more and more waterfalls since Two Salty Nut's map Rat Tunnels was released. I'll have to run through it in forge to give you a more detailed opinion though. Good first post.

4. The Sir Toppum Hat

Thanks for the comments.
    Yes I do think it needs some work, it would be amazing if you could helped me out on what you think needs to be changed

5. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

It looks like an interlocking dream but there could be some cleaning up. If you clean it up you got a 9.5/10 from me but until then 8/10.

6. ferrari504

ferrari504 Ancient

It does look like a great map... but i agree that it does need a little cleaning up.
    I give it a 8.5/10

7. MealonX

MealonX Ancient

I am kind of confused from the two pictures, it seems like there is more to the map then shown, can you please add more pictures?

8. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

I love the way you made the geometry. Completely messed up, and not straight lines like how most maps are. Bravo.

9. the predator720

the predator720 Ancient

wow looks really cool gonna download it
    also creative name

10. WD911

WD911 Ancient

i like how you laid out the bases
    but not to be rude, it looks a little conjested in the second picture

11. Indie Anthias

Indie Anthias Unabash'd Rubbernecker

This is very good work. I really like the way you made it feel like an irregular cavern, with tunnels a waterfall. This is the third time I've seen a waterfall like that, but hey, you pulled it off. This reminds me of Tunnel Rats as well. Good job, it looks great

12. Mallet

Mallet Ancient
    Banned

Wow and I downloaded this and its very unqiue indeed.

I don't know whether to hate it or love it lol. Though interesting, I don't really think the layout would make for that good gameplay. It's very messy and I find myself tripping up on some unevenly joined floor every few seconds, which is an instant turnoff for many of us I'm sure. However, I love how completely unique it is, and how complex the tunnels are. Somehow i think the bits of wall sticking out the roof of the tunnels add to its charm. It's an inspiring map.

For future tips, having weapons hidden like with the shotgun isn't really good in a map. I know it's not hard to find but still it gives people an unfair advantage over those who are new to the map. Also since there is a shotgun and a sword, I don't think the base shield doors are a good idea (not the waterfall ones).

I wish more people were this ambitious with their designs. Great job dude.

edit: Also the name sucks =)

13. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

Well, you should get more picks. i didnt expect something like this to come on Foundry. From whatI hear, the map has a great and unique design and idea. But the execution of it was rather unsucessful.

14. rusty eagle

rusty eagle Ancient

I uploaded the map and I was thoroughly impressed. The interlocking must have been a pain. I am not sure many people realize the difficulty in interlocking these many objects into an irregular shape to prodcue 'curvy' tunnels.

This is very impressive and inspiring. However, while I loved the layout, the weapon choices and the 'bumpiness' were a major turnoff.

With a little more work, I think you can make this into a pretty decent map.

15. American10

American10 Ancient

Nice map 8.5/10

16. VestigeL

VestigeL Ancient

Really nice map. Everything is so messed up though... or is it what you want it to be? 8/10

17. The Sir Toppum Hat

Thank you all for your comments and ratings
    Yes I will go back through and fix all those uneven walls and floors.
    It’s a great map with a lot of potential, just needs a little work.
    Even though it’s not quite finished it is a must see and don’t be shy to download. I worked very hard on this map to get it to were it is, and even though it looks a little sloppy every item is placed exactly were I want it.
    Thank you all again for your comments they really do help out.

Also I have recently updated the map

More Pics are coming soon
    It just took me a long time to figure out how to put pictures on my post

18. The Sir Toppum Hat

[size=10pt][size=10pt]!!!!!More Pictures Just For You!!!!![/size][/size]

19. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

From the new pics it may look sloppy but hey your working on that right. Other than that this map just makes a tent. Somewhere.... 8.5/10 (new version if it is neater should become 9.5/10)

20. The Sir Toppum Hat

It’s not as sloppy as the pictures make it look. If you go though the map yourself you will see that everything is put to use, and placed for a reason. If I were to take something away there would be a gapping hole in the floor or it will lose that rocky mountain feel I was going for. I am fixing a few bumps here and there to make moving around the map easier, but there’s just not that much I can do. The reason the map is so small is that after making the tunnels and the floor I soon realized that I’m going to have trouble inclosing the whole map without running out of items. By the time I finished I did all I could do.

Thanks again for your comments keep them coming