Remake Casket

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by centurionomegai, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Decadence Night

Decadence Night Ancient

I just realized that I haven't commented on this. :p

This is a great Tombstone remake. It's true to the original, but it strays away just a little bit to make it its own. That's a good thing, and for the most part, I like the changes you made.

I really only have a couple of minor criticisms. First, I don't think it's fair to say that it's a Hang 'em High/Tombstone remake. All of the aspects that made TS different from HeH are present here. Therefore, it's 100% a Tombstone remake. Second, I don't like that you have Armor Abilities in place of OS and Camo. I don't think they're interchangeable, but that's a matter of opinion. Lastly, I don't like the stunt ramps. They stand out too much from the surrounding geometry. I think they're alright for the hallway, but not the areas by the bunkers. I recommend using coliseum walls if you have any left. If you don't, then you should use XL Ramps. They won't blend in perfectly, but still much better.

2. Sych0n0ught

Sych0n0ught Forerunner

Thank you, I Dl'd and now I shall play this, this weekend. IMO best map ever. Thank you again.

3. centurionomegai

centurionomegai Ancient

I have it say a Tombstone / Hang 'Em High Remake, and as Tombstone was a remake of Hang 'Em High, the logic follows. Although that doesn't mean it is the most accurate to all the aspects of Hang 'Em High as yours is. Also, Coliseum walls and XL ramps both don't work in that area. They aren't just functioning as a floor but part of the bunker walls. I attempted to find the objects to change this but it just wasn't there without changing a lot of other things as well. Personally I like the stunt ramps, but if I find a way to change this without causing a lot of problems I probably will. But we can probably debate this in forge itself.

Also, new version of Casket is now up! See map notes for details.

4. Decadence Night

Decadence Night Ancient

Well, even though TS was a HeH remake, I still think they're distinct from each other. We'll just agree to disagree there.

Ah, now I see why the stunt ramps are there. Here's my suggestion then. You're using an awful lot of platforms for the trench. I think you should delete all those and replace them with large braces. They're the exact same width as the pieces you're using, plus they're longer. That will free up some room in the platforms category. You then should use large platforms to replace the stunt ramps closest to the wall. Then you should replace the remaining two stunt ramps (closest to the center of the map) with a pair of 1x2 ramps each. It's more objects than before, but you just saved a bunch from the trench. That still wont blend in perfectly with the rest of the floor, but it should be much better.

That's the name of the game, buddy. It's part of the challenge. I was able to improve my map by doing exactly this. I altered parts of the structure in a way that didn't harm it at all, and gave me the objects I needed to make the changes the map required. That's satisfying as hell.

#24 Decadence Night, Oct 26, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. centurionomegai

centurionomegai Ancient

I know exactly what you are talking about and tried that out already, the trench ended up looking very bland. I also looked at placing those instead of some of the stunt ramps and it didn't look great. But it's definitely one of my best options for the floor if/when I change that.

6. needy154

needy154 Forerunner

looks good...add me 4 customs play...

7. centurionomegai

centurionomegai Ancient

There is now a version of this map available. I'd like to explain what the little micro ramp at blue base is. In scoring the flag, the jump behind blue base was made more difficult because of a second jump that was needed to get up to the flagstand, I added a small rail there used as a little ramp to get over the lip and this problem disappeared.

People using old versions should always download the latest version. Thanks!

8. nillapuddin626

nillapuddin626 Forerunner

Wow checked out the updates, it looks great. Frames are gone, plays well, excellent gametype support. Definitive Tombstone remake, great job

9. SP Dark Killer

SP Dark Killer Ancient

Casket is definitely underrated, it doesn't bring as much attention because it is a remake of Tombstone as opposed to High 'em High. However I would have to say that hands down this map looks and plays better than any other Tombstone or High 'em High remake around.

Aesthetically, Casket breaks past the monotonous pattern of silver and grey and spices things up with color and contrast that other remakes were not able to achieve. Additionally, the water running through the middle trench is a beautiful touch, and speaks volumes about the attention to detail of the author.

Gameplay wise, Casket brings back the original weapons of Tombstone or their Reach counterparts along with the welcome addition of the grenade launcher in the command center. The map is set up for all major gametypes and plays exceptionally well in team based 4v4 or 5v5 Slayer, One Flag, Snipers, and even Land Grab on default Reach settings but the map will also play well with increased speed and jump height for those looking for that good “classic” feel.

For many Casket will be more than just a remake, it will be the logical continuance in the Hang ‘em High—Tombstone saga. So if you are going to download one map today, download this one; I guarantee you will not regret it.

10. centurionomegai

centurionomegai Ancient

I have uploaded updated screenshots and an updated tour of the new version of casket. The map looks a lot better now and a lot of work was put into balancing and playtesting.

11. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

It's kind of wierd seeing this thread again, as this map was made just days after Reach was released. I guess that just goes to show how good the map is, and how much effort has been put into improving the map from V1. I was always a bit more impressed by Goliath, but this is still a fantastic map. Hopefully I'll get to play it with you again sometime. I'm not sure why we can never manage to play together anymore.