Carceral

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by I Shadowsth I, Jun 28, 2009.

1. I Shadowsth I

I Shadowsth I Ancient

Update (11/8/09): Due to Atlas restrictions, Messiah has been renamed to Carceral for Conquest in Matchmaking. It's still the same map, but has a different name now. Be sure to support Conquest in Matchmaking!

Description:

[​IMG]

"Going deeper into The Brig will only bring you closer to your demise."

About the map:

What started out as a little project on the side while I was working on Project Zodiac became a full fledged map pushing my forging skills further than any map I've done to date. Originally I was going to release Project Zodiac first (still in production) before releasing Carceral, but of course things change and here we are with the long awaited Project Conquest that's been in production for the last 3 weeks.

Carceral is a change for me considering my previous work was nothing but competitive maps. This proved to be a challenge because not only was this my first map that caters to only one gametype, but I had to do some research on the gametype itself in order to get a grasp on how to make Carceral work for conquest. My decision was to keep what makes Conquest successful and yet make a layout that's different. I didn't want to make another U map or letter, so instead I created a layout that hasn't been used before.

[​IMG]

This early concept picture I drew during a slow day at work clearly shows my plan of attack. The areas are colored based on their respective teams (red and blue). However the areas in purple are places designed for aesthetic purposes and are inaccessible without going into Forge. I wanted to give people the feeling that you're not on rails even though you are, so creating extra rooms in the prison along with a window for the upper hallway gives the map life and reduced the feeling that your "going through another long hall". Now don't get me wrong, the most successful Conquest maps are going through a long hall, but I wanted to make the theme for mine interesting and convincing.

You will still find the same classic Conquest gameplay here, and the weapon set is heavily influenced by Conquest maps such as Artifacts, Rally Point, and The Cellars. Taking a page from these maps along with the Conquest tutorial and a few pointers from AZN FTW, I laid out the weapons at certain areas of the map that makes it fair, balanced, and fun. While the map can support up to 16 players. It's best played with 8-12 (4v4, 5v5, 6v6).

Without further adieu, let's take a look at why Carceral should belong in your hard drive:

The Territories:

Territories are designated as follows: Red team gets even numbers (2, 4, 6), Blue gets odd numbers (3, 5, 7), and "The one" territory being neutral (1).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Red 6

The starting point for red team and where all the power weapons reside. If you had the ability to open the door that is in red's starting room, it would lead you to the purple shrine room in The Brig II (hence the purple light emitting in this room).

[​IMG]

One neat thing you will find at Red 6 is a window that overlooks "The One" territory and Blue 7. Of course, the other team can see the same thing through their window as well. Don't plan on taunting your opposition too long as you have territories to claim and spartans to teabag!

Weapon set:

(weapon name) - (amount/clips) - (respawn time)

Sniper - 1/1 - 60 sec
    Brute Shot - 1/2 - 45 sec
    Spike Grenades - 2/na - 45 sec
    Carbine - 1/2 - 45 sec

[​IMG]

Blue 7

Blue 7 is the same layout as Red 6 but the only difference (and the reason why I'm even mentioning this territory) is Blue team's starting door. Where it leads to is currently under wraps right now, but let's just say you'll find that answer out in a future map.

Weapon set:

Same as Red 6.

[​IMG]

Red 4 / Blue 5

The second territory for both teams is nestled on the ramp leading to the lower level. Should your opponent get to this point, the high ground along with falling back into your starting territory may save you. It also holds two sets of dual wieldable weapons that caters to those who like to go in guns blazin.

Weapon set:

Plasma Rifle - 2/na - 30 sec
    Brute Spikers - 2/2 - 30 sec

[​IMG]

Red 2 / Blue 3

The smallest territories in Carceral also happen to be very active battlegrounds. This is where you'll be seeing the other team for the first time and is great place for your sniper to fire a few rounds. However he/she must constantly be on the move as the other team will make use of the column to avoid sniper and rifle fire and prepare to invade the center territory. A BR settles on the colored column along with a few more dual wieldables and a plasma grenade behind the cameraman in this picture.

Weapon set:

Battle Rifle - 1/2 - 45 sec
    SMG - 1/2 - 30 sec
    Plasma Pistol - 1/na - 30 sec
    Plasma Grenade - 1/na - 60 sec

[​IMG]

Facing Blue 3 (UPDATED).

[​IMG]

Facing Red 2 (UPDATED)

"The One" territory

Just like any conquest map, this is where most of the battles will take place and is the "make" or "break" territory. Things go downhill if your team is unable to maintain control and it only adds more pressure for the next round. In regards to ammo, you'll only find a set of pistols at the entrance of each hall that may save your ass if you run low on ammo. Oh and if you have a few seconds, be sure to check out the aesthetics.

Weapon set:

Magnum - 4/2 - 30 sec

Inaccessible areas:

As I've stated before. There's a few areas where you can look at but can't touch. The reason for adding these areas is for aesthetic purposes only and to make the map more convincing. I wanted the player to look at these areas and say: "Wow, this doesn't feel like I'm in the crypt" although most of you will scream "WTF WHY KAN'T I GET TEH HAMMERZ OR GET IN THA CHOPPA! THESE ROOMZ R POINTLE55!!11111one!eleven!!!" Regardless of your opinion, they are here to stay.

[​IMG]

This room seems to house a few vehicles along with a weapon that would just ruin the conquest experience. Luckily it's only here for show. Also from looking at this pic there seems to be a ramp going up. A possible way out of this prison? Who knows.

[​IMG]

Just another angle of things you wish you had.

Of course there's also the prison cell and hallway blocked off by a prison door. After several tests all I got to say is "Good luck trying to get out of this bad boy". You might as well just shoot the fusion coils and move on.

However I could just for once give you an angle a spartan would never be able to get:

[​IMG]

Popcorn anyone?

Videos:

YouTube- Halo 3 Carceral Video Walkthrough (Conquest)

YouTube- Halo 3 Carceral Conquest

Pictures:

[​IMG]

New or old version. Your face will still be sniped off.

[​IMG]

The Push

[​IMG]

Action between Red 2 and Red 4.

[​IMG]

3 vs 1? I don't think so Tim!

[​IMG]

"I always feel like, somebody's watching meeeeee"

[​IMG]

Making out with the aesthetics will not increase your chances of winning (sorry AZN).

Download Carceral here
    Download Conquest here

Special Thanks to:

- Everyone who helped me test this map out. You know who you are.
    - AZN FTW for giving me the green light after doing some fine tuning.
    - My boredom.
    - Your mom.

- .Timothy

#1 I Shadowsth I, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  2. Silva Sniper

Silva Sniper Ancient

This was really awsome to test this map.I love the theme of the map.The aesthetics are so nicely done on this map and especially the jail cell.I love the epic pushes that were pulled off on this map and all of the chaos at the bottom was epic.Also nice window sort of thing you have up near the spawns.

I can see this being a very sweet conquest map in the future it really is a nice map.

3. Gunnergrunt

Gunnergrunt Ancient

Ah very nice! It will make a great addition to the library! And it will also make an excellent addition to my Conquest guide! Mind if i post your layout there along with a link to the map?

I really like the theme you have here. But there is one thing that kinda throws the whole theme off lol. Those golf balls >.< I think the map would be much cooler with something more interesting in that cell. Maybe an energy sword or rocket launcher (I always hear people say that they wish they had a rocket launcher while playing Conquest). Or something like that. But that's my only complaint thus far! I'll get some games going on it right away! But i can already tell that BR is gonna dominate, woo!

EDIT: alright its in the FH guide as well now. There are more on the list here but yours is at the bottom

#3 Gunnergrunt, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
  4. Ell3ment

Ell3ment Ancient

It really shows that you put a lot of time, effort, and research into this map. I can't wait to get some solid games in with fellow conquest fanatics. The fact that you took it a step further to add those little extra aesthetic touches shows that unlike some, you take that extra care and attention for your map that others should strive for.

I'm definately gonna download to get some good test runs in, and if all proves well and good this should be a keep on my HD.

5. FaTaLiiTY5

FaTaLiiTY5 Ancient

very nice i love the part were the gulf balls are in jail LOL!!! overall a nice map. i am going to have to give you a 9/10!!!

6. Urban Myth

Urban Myth Ancient

The map I downloaded had a teleporter in the center hallway =/

Wtf?

I don't mind going into forge and removing it, but I just thought you should know.

7. I Shadowsth I

I Shadowsth I Ancient

The teleporter is there only so I could edit the map. It's not there when you play conquest.

8. R0FLninja

R0FLninja Ancient

Dude, im tempted to nominate this for a feature, its so beautifuly made, with an amazing conquest layout i have never seen before, but still complies to all of the conquest rules. Although in the picture showing Blue territory sector 4-5, the weapon holders holding the spikers are ugly and kind of not smooth, i would suggest interlocking them into the ground. I know that is not important, but weapon display in conquests maps are very important and i thought i oughta just point that out.

Amazing, will DL, 5/5

#8 R0FLninja, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  9. Caucasion Tift

Caucasion Tift Ancient

Wow... i don't even really like Conquest that much but this map makes me want to play it. Love the idea of extra inaccessable areas. The windows are also cool... can't wait to see the next map you release.

10. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

This looks amazing, I <3 the aesthetic work that you've done. The shield door windows I liked as well, and the fact that you made a 'doncha wish you had' room, is original. Ima download, and give you a full review tomorrow(if I can remember).

11. Silva Sniper

Silva Sniper Ancient

Dont you mean nominate for a feature?Yeah the layout is very unique indeed.Oh and agreed about the whole spiker thing it can be smoother and I just love the structures on the walls and again sweet layout and nice vids.I like this map it has a future.

12. Xang

Xang Ancient

Well fro mthe looks of it your design is great and i love Conquest. Everthing looks very neat and gameplay looks great, along with the aesthetics which by the way looks amazing.

13. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

Woot it's over here now... I can definitely agree with the spikers on weapon holders being a bit ugly, but they do have quite a bit of eye catching cuz of the color variation. Great map I just wish there was some sorta bit of cover in the center.

14. T4K Shadow

T4K Shadow Ancient

This looks amazing. I like conquest anyway but this stands out. The extra rooms you have added give it a larger feel, yet it sticks to the rules of conquest. I also really like the layout, it's different from other conquest maps. This is one of my favourite conquest maps now, good job. 5/5

15. I Shadowsth I

I Shadowsth I Ancient

Yeah the spikers seems to be the biggest complaint so far, and that will be fixed in the not so distant future.

16. R0FLninja

R0FLninja Ancient

i doubt thats the largest problem of the map, trying to get a good party to test this out, i did a forgethru and it looks great.

17. HLG FlashPoint

HLG FlashPoint Ancient

I love it. It looks very fun I can't wait to try it out at next week's WoW. I think i might nominate this for a feature... But first I must play the map. I agree with gunner replace those golf balls with some thing more interesting, like a monster or something. Btw those cells gave me a great idea for map. This map looks very interesting and I can't wait to play... I think i already said that i think...

I will edit this post with info about the gameplay after I try it out.

18. CyraxZ

CyraxZ Ancient

Along with that, you might want to use something other than stone bridges to make the crossover from 4 to 6 and 5 to 7. There's something that is really unaesthetically pleasing about it, and it'd probably look better if it was made from something that doesn't need to be overlapped. I'd suggest a wooden bridge, though there's probably a lot of other things that would work.

19. MetaLemur

MetaLemur Ancient

i like this it is a different style for a conquest map. i mean honestly its cool and all but i was gonna make a map almost the same to this but i little different. i also love the way that you did the bars to make it seem like a jail. woth a download from me even though i got the RROD

20. I Shadowsth I

I Shadowsth I Ancient

The new upgraded version is now up. Hopefully these will be the map's only adjustments.