Carbonite

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by Audienceofone, May 10, 2013.

?

What do you think of Carbonite?

1. Not my style

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Okay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Good

1 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Great

11 vote(s)
    91.7%
  1. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

[​IMG]

Carbonite
    Created
    by Dax

Recommended Gametype: Slayer, Heads Up Slayer
    Recommended Players: 2

Carbonite may be a somewhat familiar map to some of you who were around during Halo 3. Especially if your name is either squidhands or LIGHTSOUT225. The original Halo 3 map Carbon was built by these two brilliant designers for Forgehub's 1v1 Conflict Tournament, and though I wasn't around personally, I only hear great things from their original creation on Sandbox. Now, with Halo 4, Dax has taken their design and ported it onto Impact. He's altered the size of the map just a bit so that sprint works well on it, and tweaked the weapons for Halo 4, but the design is proportionately the same as it once was.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the design, Carbonite features an asymmetrical layout with an array of powerful positions and ways to counter said positions. They say in space, nobody can hear you scream. This was clearly not applied to Impact, for whenever I played on Carbonite I screamed like a child whenever my foe would pop up from one of the many ways to shoot at me. There are some areas that are clearly superior, but there is always a way to fight back to an opponent.

Carbonite is the best 1v1 map I've ever played in Halo 4, and many agree with me in its greatness. I've told Dax more than once how glad I was that he brought this map back from years of obscurity. It flows like water and no encounter feels repetitive. Speed Boost and the railgun offer a Halo 4 twist on the old map, and other pickups like the sniper and plasma pistol echo back to a simpler time, when Halo didn't have any of these glowing silver bugs with fire-skulls. Carbonite may not be an original Dax design (which we would still suggest you check out), but it has been made with an aesthetic beauty and a pinpoint accuracy that is impressive to say the least.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We hope you enjoy Carbonite as much as we did. To Dax, you did excellent work with this one. Forgehub looks forward to your next project.

Love,
    xAudienceofone.

Download Carbonite

You can view the original map thread by the author here.

If you have seen a map floating around the board that you think is worthy of a feature then head on over to recommend that map for a feature. Additionally, if you have any questions about this article in specific feel free to voice them in our front page feedback.

#1 Audienceofone, May 10, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2013
  2. a Chunk

a Chunk Blockout Artist
    Forge Critic Wiki Contributor Senior Member

This map was excellently designed by squidhands and lightsout, and reconstructed beautifully in Halo 4 by Dax.
    I'm very happy to see it become a featured map.
    Congrats to everyone involved in this project.

3. LIGHTSOUT225

Great work Dax! Thanks for bringing this to life in H4.

(do i finally get a feature for this map, since it was originally deemed only good enough for the consolation bracket of the Conflict tournament? The design is all mine, created in Sketchup. Squiddy was kind enough to help me forge the thing, cause I'm lazy)

4. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

This is very deserving. I just played the original in Halo 3 a few days ago, and I must give kudos to Lights and Squid. Excellent design. Dax did a great job adapting the map to Halo 4. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a THFE feature for this map in our stockpile just waiting to be made public ;)

5. Dax

Dax Mhmm.
    Forge Critic Senior Member

What a nice way to end the week! Thanks a lot guys, especially Lights and Squid for creating the map back in Halo 3. I was just glad I could bring it back to it's former glory. It's really great to see this up here. :)

6. theSpinCycle

theSpinCycle Halo Reach Era

Yay, Carbon knight featured! lol

Definitely deserves it. Solid 1v1 map.

Also, nod @ FH staff for reinstating "not my style," not that I'm going to use it here. :)

7. Elliot

Elliot BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

So god damn pwetty. Yet to play it, but I will make sure I do in the near future!

8. Chron

Chron Ancient

Love love love this map! It's great to see that Dax has managed to transfer the map into Halo 4 while maintaining the quality that was present in the original.
    Good job Daxy <3