Canyon Jumper

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by musikBoi360, Dec 5, 2010.

1. musikBoi360

musikBoi360 Forerunner

Canyon Jumper 2.0 (Testers, please!)

Update history:
    12/07/10: Made some changes from slight feedback, and now it is better. Replaced pics with newer ones, labeled the rest. Please, check it out, dl, comment!
    12/05/10: Added more pictures to show more features

Map DL link: Bungie.net : Halo Reach : File Details

Canyon Jumper (unless someone has a more awesome name, I'm open to suggestions!)

[​IMG]
    Player's perspective from the canyon floor. (v1.0 picture, but mostly accurate)

This map has been a work in progress since the day I got Reach. First I was just messing around with a buddy, then I kinda just kept working on it. It snowballed into this thing, which I'm very excited for people to see.

[​IMG]
    Slayer splash screen (v2.0)

As wide as its shot is, this picture shows only about half of the map. It is huge. I used not only the canyon floor, but the clifftops on both sides as play surfaces. Not to mention big bases built into the cliff sides.

[​IMG]

(v1.0) One clifftop roost area. This one has a focus rifle, and is accessible most easily by red team via a grav lift on the ground near their vehicle hangar.

[​IMG]
    (v2.0)One of the suspended vehicle depots (both red and blue have one). Players can launch vehicles off of them. In addition to the shown vehicles, there are two mongooses on the ground.

[​IMG]
    (v1.0) Each of the vehicle depots are home to each team's sniper rifle. While this is a good vantage point, there is still plenty of cover for players on the ground to survive under. And like I mentioned earlier, players can carry these snipers to more advantageous positions.

I'm really excited to hear what people think about this map, because as far as I know, there hasn't been a forge map made that's really good for Big Team Battle. Obviously, that's what this map is designed for, and a lot of work went in to making a fun experience with at least semi-professional quality. I squeezed every last ounce out of the forge budget; I have the maximum allowed objects. Yet I do feel confident in the placement of every one. I really hope this map is a notch above what has been done in Reach Forge Yet.

However, the map is not yet done. It still has to be play tested, and tweaked for balance. Until I have my next LAN party, I can only test it out with 6-8 people on Live: so I call on you, the Forge community, to please help me out by volunteering to play it yourselves, in groups of up to 16 people.

So please, try it out, and give me feedback! But otherwise enjoy.

P.S. My map is rigged for the Gametypes it is listed for, but for Infection to be most fun, I suggest you try it with my own custom gametype, located here: Bungie.net : Halo Reach : File Details

UPDATE:
    Here's some more pictures of things I couldn't fit above. (Revised 12/07/10 for v2.0)

[​IMG]
    (v1.0) This is what a base looks like from the outside. It has three stories. The teams spawn in the back. The dish on the top serves as a handy landing pad, which has a drop chute in it that sends you down to the room on the second floor. There is also a chute in the second floor that sends you down to the hallway on the first.
    In the most current version, there is no falcon on the base itself. Instead, they are on the ground.

[​IMG]
    (v1.0)This is the back, where the blue team spawns. The Red and Blue flags also show up here in CTF.
    In the new version, a teleporter receiver node is located on the lip on the upper left.

A back door exists on each base, which links up to the longer clifftop ("Montana") via 2-way teleporter. Up there are two mongooses for each base entrance. This area primarily serves as an alternate method of travel between the bases, though the spartan laser, and its roost, are located in the middle:

[​IMG]
    (v1.0, mostly accurate)

[​IMG]
    (v2.0, accurate)

Also, there are two miniature 'bases' on the ground. While not really serving as bases, they provide places for players (primarily green and orange teams) to take cover, and the more powerful vehicles are located here. These areas are homes to the map's scorpions, gauss warthogs, and falcons. Green and Orange's flags, in the event of 4-flag CTF, are also located here, as are a few hills.

[​IMG]
    (v2.0)Orange

[​IMG]
    (v2.0)Green

New in version 2.0 is the inclusion of mid-field teleporters that send you to the bases directly above them, and man cannons that offer a quick means for players to travel to the top of the vehicle hangars from a distance away. Here are the teleporters:

[​IMG]
    (v2.0) to Red Base

[​IMG]
    (v2.0) to Blue Base

And here are the man cannons:

[​IMG]
    (v2.0)To the Blue hangar

[​IMG]
    (v2.0)To the Red hangar

That is all. As before, please DL, play it, review it, and tell me what you think!

#1 musikBoi360, Dec 5, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  2. MRGregz85

MRGregz85 Forerunner

The map looks interesting. I would suggest that you would add more aircraft, as vehicle like the ghost and revenant can't move between the airborne bases. I myself made a map with a similar purpose, called Midway, which focuses on air combat. It has two main "hangars" with smaller defenses spread around the map, which are teleporter accessible. This map does look interesting, though.

3. musikBoi360

musikBoi360 Forerunner

Thanks man. I'm already doodling with making the bases more accessible, likely moving falcons to the ground. I can think of two great places to put them, but the thing is, that's also where green and orange team's flags spawn. and the location of two hills. Someone else also told me it seems vehicle heavy, which is something I'll work on. Thanks for your input, please dl and look at it if you have the inclination and the time.

4. Sikaxis

Sikaxis Forerunner

If only I had more friends to play on this map...

5. musikBoi360

musikBoi360 Forerunner

I updated the map, this is now v2.0. Check it out!