Can you create a large force field/barrier ?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by jcarey72, Sep 29, 2010.

1. jcarey72

jcarey72 Forerunner

For example, in Forge World, I don't want anyone to go over the cliffs - so the area is restricted to the hangar and the islands by the waterfall. I can block the cave with no problem, but how do I keep banshees from flying over to the other side ?

Thanks.

2. Magical Zonkey

Magical Zonkey Forerunner

look in "spawnings"

there you will see kill barriers.

you can do a soft kill barrier that gives the intrepid explorers 10 seconds to return to the battlefield.

Or a hard kill barrier that will stop them in their tracks a little quicker!

3. jcarey72

jcarey72 Forerunner

Thanks, i'll check it out.
    I thought i tried kill barriers once and i placed one down (default was cylinder shape) and then i walked in it but didn't die ?

4. LegendofLink

LegendofLink Ancient

They don't do anything in forge mode, but they work when you run the map for real.

5. jcarey72

jcarey72 Forerunner

cool, thanks.

6. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

FYI, the kill area doesn't do what it says, it does the opposite. Everything outside of a kill area is a death barrier, everything inside is good to go. So enclose your map in a soft killzone and don't place them around as you want them, or else you will insta die! :p

7. cj822

cj822 Ancient

Just pointing out that those are the Safe barriers not the kill zones. If the map were to be enclosed in a soft kill zone, then people would have 10 seconds to get out of that area. If the map was enclosed in a soft safe zone, then when they leave that, they have 10 seconds to get out of the area. Btw if you have any regular safe zones on the map, all the soft safe zones will be treated as safe zones.

8. shidarin

shidarin Forerunner

Place a soft safe zone and enlarge the area to be the entire play area. You can overlap multiple safe zones if one volume isn't big enough. Anyone venturing outside of the safe zone will be a 10 second "Return to the Battlefield" message.

Place a soft kill zone on areas player's might try to get an unfair advantage with. Weird high rocks people can jetpack up to and snipe from- tops of high high towers that you still want in the safe zone for banshees/falcons, but don't want people camping from. Players entire a soft kill zone volume will get the same warning as when they leave a soft safe zone.

Place hard kill zones where players need to die instantly- lower thirds of cliff faces they're falling off of is the primary use.

Hard to think of an example where one would use hard safe zones.

Soft Safe zones are overruled by soft kill zones. Soft kill zones are overruled by hard kill zones. Hope this helps.

9. Chan

Chan Forerunner

You could place a grid as well.

10. shidarin

shidarin Forerunner

You're only allowed to place 2 grids, that wouldn't be super useful.

11. B3NW

B3NW Ancient

WRONG, if you put a soft kill zone in the center of your map and make it large enough to cover your map, you will not die inside your map, and if you go out your map you have 10 seconds.

12. Ursus

Ursus Ancient

I have to disagree. If you put a soft kill zone in an area in your map in forge, then, in custom games, go into that area, you have ten seconds to leave it. If you put a hard kill zone instead, you will die instantly. You repeatedly seem to be referring to soft and hard safe zones.

Seriously. Go try it. I don't use safe zones, but I know that's not how kill zones work.

13. shidarin

shidarin Forerunner

B3n, this is entirely incorrect. You're thinking soft SAFE zones. Soft kill zones KILL inside of them after 10 seconds. You use them to designate anti-camping areas.

14. Aquatic

Aquatic Forerunner

Isn't it like this?

Soft safe area:
    If you are inside, you're safe. If you go outside you have ten seconds to get in before dying.

Safe area:
    If you are inside, you're safe. If you go outside you will die instantly.

Soft kill area:
    If you are outside, you're safe. If you go inside you have ten seconds to get out before dying.

Kill area:
    If you are outside, you're safe. If you go inside you will die instantly.

#14 Aquatic, Sep 30, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2010