Buying A New Monitor

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Combat P3nguin, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Combat P3nguin

Combat P3nguin Ancient

Hey guys im in a stage where my screen is a bit small ( 24 inch Hisence TV ) and i was going to get a 27 inch Monitor.

I need help cause im not sure if i want to go for a higher resolution screen ( 2560x1440) screen which would have a 60hz refresh rate with a 5ms response time or to go with another 1080P Screen monitor which would have 120hz refresh rate and a 2ms response time.

I use my computer for gaming. I play the regular games.(Black Ops 2, Battlefield 3) the usual shooters. i do play strategy games as well but not as much. I watch blue ray movies as well.

Im not sure my computer could handle newer games with a higher resolution, it plays every game maxed out on 1080p though.

So any suggestions?

2. ChronoTempest

ChronoTempest Senior Member

Go for the latter. Higher res displays aren't yet the "standard", and they will carry a higher price tag until they are. Buzz words like 3D and 4k displays have similarly inflated prices for the same reasons. 120 and 2ms is better for gaming anyway.

3. Combat P3nguin

Combat P3nguin Ancient

That's what i was thinking. I just wanted to be sure on what i buy cheers :)

4. Zatherla

Zatherla Sweet Lemonade

I would definitely not recommend a 27 inch for gaming at 1080p. I have a 21.5inch and I was thinking of upgrading to three 23"s. (acer H236HL). 60Hz is fine for gaming, and so is a 5ms response time, as it used to be the optimal time for gaming monitors. Although you will see improvements with 2ms/120hz/144hz, it really isn't worth it for me. I would much rather spend that money that would be going into cutting the response time by a few thousandths of a second, and put it into getting a better resolution (1440p, etc.) because resolution makes a big difference in gaming. They are also coming down in price a lot since they first came out. Nevertheless, do what you want. If you do decide to bump the specs instead, I recommend BenQ.

5. Combat P3nguin

Combat P3nguin Ancient

I used to game on a 32 inch tv screen it was to big so i went back to my 24 inch and its a bit small. a 27 inch is in between so it would be pretty good for me. I have order an Asus 27 inch monitor. Its full 1080p, 2ms response time and only 60hz refresh rate but that doesn't really bother me.