Buying a laptop,any advice?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Supa Midget, Feb 14, 2009.

1. Supa Midget

Supa Midget Ancient

I'm currently saving my cash in the hopdes of buying a laptop in may.
    This is the current build I made on dell.com.(Used he US as the exchange rate at the minute makes it sizably cheaper,naturally though thats probably not going to be the case in may)

My Components(PRODUCT) RED(PRODUCT) REDPROCESSORIntel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5GHz/800Mhz FSB, 6MB Cache)OPERATING SYSTEMGenuine Windows Vista ® Home Premium Edition SP1PRODUCTIVITY SOFTWARENo Microsoft OfficeWARRANTY AND SERVICE1Yr Ltd Hardware Warranty, InHome Service after Remote DiagnosisLCD AND CAMERAHigh Resolution, glossy widescreen 15.4inch LCD (1440x900) & 2.0 MPMEMORY4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHz (2 Dimms)HARD DRIVESize: 320GB 5400RPM SATA Hard DriveINTERNAL OPTICAL DRIVESlot Load DVD+/-RW (DVD/CD read/write)VIDEO CARD256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GTWIRELESS CARDSDell Wireless 1395 802.11g Mini CardBATTERY OPTIONS85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary BatterySOUND OPTIONSHigh Definition Audio 2.0

Im by no stretch of the imagination a computer whizz but am I missing any thing integral?
    Hoping for it to play most games over the next year or so and I'll be using it for basic roject work and the like for school.
    Penny for your thoughts?

2. Jake Pajamas

Jake Pajamas Guest

Yeah definitely buy a consumer report magazine on laptops. They do a really nice job of evaluating products.

3. iZumi

iZumi Ancient

Get a Macbook. It's better.

4. M.Jelleh

M.Jelleh Ancient

I have to agree with iZumi. Get a really nice macbook pro and if you want it for games, either make a partition for a windows OS on your computer or get the crossover games software.

5. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

I'd need to know your price range and what you're going to be using this laptop for to know what to recommend for you.

And unfortunately, Macfags, not everyone can afford $1000+ laptops that look nice.

6. Nick Novikov

Nick Novikov Ancient

MacBook OS X G5
    2GB RAM
    $1299.99
    My friend has one, it's the best computer I have ever used!

7. n00bsk00lbus309

n00bsk00lbus309 Ancient

8. Nemihara

Nemihara Ancient

Honestly, gaming laptops are overpriced and underpowered. Buy a cheaper dedicated tower PC for gaming, or don't and just get a normal laptop.

9. Matty

Matty Ancient

10. Norlinsky

Norlinsky Guest

My advice: use legal tender.

11. CHUCK

CHUCK Why so serious?

macfag here.

for basic computering, since you werent too specific, get a macbook yo.

sure it can be a bit pricey, but it will last you a long time without stress. It's like an appliance, does what it's made to do easily and it's for life. I'm poor, and it was worth scraping up every penny. I've got the only smooth working computer in the house ;) Windows be crashing and sucking all around me.

If you want to do some gaming, get a windows operating system disc(by whatever means you feel) and run bootcamp, having windows there for merely gaming. Trust me, it's an easy process. OS X Leopard is made to be able to run windows as well. I don't do this because dealing with windows can be serious bullshit that i'd rather not deal with anymore.

Unless you're into building your own computers and other hardcore computer ****, go mac.

12. M.Jelleh

M.Jelleh Ancient

I too am a macfag.
    Yes, macs are a bit pricey, but think about how much money you are going to spend on your computer over the years, for getting people to look at it, get rid of viruses, and other stuff.

The total price is at least as much as a macbook and with a mac there is no hassle. I'm a mac and damn happy.

People say you can't do much on a mac. They's wrong lolz

13. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

Laptops just aren't meant to play games, they don't have the lasting power that Desktop units have. Upgrading them is near impossible as well. Get a cheap notebook for portability, and buy a desktop unit for games.

If you're looking for a dependable notebook, get a mac. I've seen many people's laptops die in the past year or so after they were purchased for college, but all of the macbooks I've seen are still running strong.

14. xxAl Capwnagexx

xxAl Capwnagexx Ancient

You need a desktop for serious gaming.

If you go laptop, go mac.

Nemi, I take offense in macfag! Harumph.

15. PwnCakes

PwnCakes Ancient

Even if your still gonna ignore everyone and buy a lappy.

Please get an hp or alien wear.

I've had 2 dells so far, one fried two of my ram sticks.

The other's disk drive exploded and killed everything.

Dell sucks for everything and anything that's entitled 'computer savvy'

If you're looking for premade comp's or wanting to build your own heres a good place:

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!

16. M.Jelleh

M.Jelleh Ancient

I have to agree with PwnCakes in that if you for some reason that is beyond me, get a pc, don't get a dell. My mom has a dell and it sucks. I had an hp and it worked OK for a few years and my friend has a nice alienware.
    So what I'm trying to say is, get a mac for god's sake.

17. desert elite

desert elite Ancient

Id rather get an alienwear....

18. PwnCakes

PwnCakes Ancient

alienwear is a labeled buy- its like northface, you arent paying for the material, you paying for the right to say that you own one. w/ alienwear you arent getting as much bang for your buck if you make your own hp

19. PwnCakes

PwnCakes Ancient

2grand seems a lil' much BUT it is a quad core so w/e'z