Burning Vehicles!!

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by IceFire Studios, Oct 27, 2010.

1. IceFire Studios

IceFire Studios Forerunner

Ok, so I don't know if anyone else figured this out... BUT I've figured out how to make burning/smoking vehicles in forge for aesthetic purposes (IE. Infection maps)

Video:
    YouTube - Burning Scorpion (and any other vehicle) in Forge

My "not-so secret" method:

1. Place landmine where you plan to have the vehicle. Leave properties as they are.
    2. Place fusion coil nearby and change properties:
    SPAWN TIME=45
    3. Move coil over landmine until boom.
    4. Place vehicle over or near the explosion and wait for the next explosion to occur.
    5. If the explosion totally destroys the vehicle move it a bit further from the explosion.
    6. Repeat 5 until the level of damage only causes fire but not total destruction.
    7. Once this is done you need to change the landmine and coil properties:
    PLACE AT START=TRUE
    SPAWN TIME=NEVER

That's it. The vehicles would still be driveable, but not many people are gonna jump into a near toast scorpion. If the vehicles aren't in view on initial spawn then they'll just "look" that way when players come upon them.

P.S. In my messing around I've also figured out how to make "random" explosions occur... Should be very cool for adding that "wartime" feeling to maps! I don't have this one 100% yet, so I'll post more once I've got down.

Happy Forging!

#1 IceFire Studios, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  2. Boots

Boots Ancient

This thread is worthless without pictures or instructions. Why not just tell everyone how to do it? You'll still have the first map with this in it...

3. gabotron15

gabotron15 Ancient

4. ProtoFury

ProtoFury Ancient

The thread is borderline spam as it is,and is basically an unsuccessful map advertisement... Without pictures or details, it's going to be buried in the back pages or locked in no time. Excitement-creation fail.

5. FlamingArmadillo

FlamingArmadillo Forerunner

He probably just dropped the vehicle from a height or had some fusion coils drop on top of it and blow it up, not that hard.

6. IceFire Studios

Yall gotta get the pickles out of yer butts ;) (Serious prove it or die attitude here...)

Video is coming momentarily...

7. Havok SCO

Havok SCO Forerunner

It says your video has a error. Or is that only me?

8. IceFire Studios

Ya there was somethign wrong with the bungie player... I've uplaoded to youtube. video is now working.

9. xWooden leafx

xWooden leafx Ancient

no. this is spam, because you are adding nothing valuable to this board by posting this.
    not only is this very easy to do with fusion coils, killballs, heights, whatever, but you also arent telling us this "secret" which makes this spam.

10. NlBBS

NlBBS Forerunner

I've done something like this on two of my infection maps (except with Falcons). I simply had them spawn on land mines, and BAM, the same result as this.

11. IceFire Studios

If this is the kind of reception someone can expect to receive on this board for just posting about something I figured out, why would I share how I did it.

If you and/or other people have ideas on how to do this great! Go for it. I hadn't seen this yet, hence the post.

If the admins/mods don't like it, feel free to delete the thread and I won't bother posting anything I find again.

12. xWooden leafx

xWooden leafx Ancient

this is how we react when you post something begging for attention, saying hey guys look what i did! and nothing else. if you posted how to do it, you will get props, or if its something we all know, than we will leave it alone. but when you post something that has 0 chance of helping anybody, than what do you expect us to do? ooh and ahh at your simple idea? beg for more? praise your mighty prowess? no. just no.
    we are here to help each other get better at forge, get ideas, get maps to play, and entertain ourselves in some way.
    you are here begging for attention, trying to build suspence for your new map or something. dont. be helpful. if you find something else, post it, and than tell us how to do it.

13. Havok SCO

Havok SCO Forerunner

Prolly does have something to do with fusion coils or something since he had it spawn so far away from him. It also looked like he had to go look for it which prolly means it blew up and flipped away in a different direction.

Sry man but I have to agree that posting something just to say look what I can do is kinda wrong in a forum thats built to help people in forge and to showcase maps.

14. SPARTAN 121

SPARTAN 121 Ancient

You can "barely" hear an explosion in the beginning of the video, which explains why he set up his spawn point so far away from the tank... so he can keep his "secret"...

But yeah, this is almost like posting a map with no embedded pictures, just a bad map post all around, and the only text says, "hey guys, check out this map i made, its the best and all my friends like it"...

Now I know which map I will NOT be downloading when it's released.

#14 SPARTAN 121, Oct 27, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  15. DMM White

DMM White Ancient

Having destroyed vehicles on a map isn't hard. Keeping them from disappearing is hard.

Unless your secret method allows you to have a destroyed vehicle permanently on the map I don't think anyone will be interested because we already have a number of ways to destroy vehicles and have them temporarily on the map.

16. lncendios

lncendios Forerunner

I've known how to do this for along time. Everyone has. You can do it in matchmaking. Halo reach has destructible turrets, allowing drivable but unshootable vehicles. Its not a secret.

17. IceFire Studios

alright alright, I think I've been spanked enough.. lesson learned... be helpful, don't show off... fine no prob...

It wasn't meant to cause anything like this and my only intent was maybe to have someone say "neat!" Not looking to seem like a god...

My "not-so secret" method:

1. Place landmine where you plan to have the vehicle. Leave properties as they are.
    2. Place fusion coil nearby and change properties:
    PLACE AT START=TRUE
    SPAWN TIME=45
    3. Move coil over landmine until boom.
    4. Place vehicle over or near the explosion and wait for the next explosion to occur.
    5. If the explosion totally destroys the vehicle move it a bit further from the explosion.
    6. Repeat 5 until the level of damage only causes fire but not total destruction.
    7. Once this is done you need to change the landmine and coil properties:
    PLACE AT START=TRUE
    SPAWN TIME=NEVER

That's it. The vehicles would still be driveable, but not many people are gonna jump into a near toast scorpion. If the vehicles aren't in view on initial spawn then they'll just "look" that way when players come upon them.

18. jonesmcmoney

jonesmcmoney Forerunner

lol you should've waited until the video was up and working and then you shouldve posted it hahhhwehhe

19. Facts

Facts Forerunner

I always get a chuckle out of 'kids' on boards posting this and that about spam when they dont even realize that they are really contributing to the problem. I saw the whole post at one time so I cannot judge if what was originally posted was spam or not but it doesnt really matter, you made good on your video and your method so everyone who got all up in arms really didnt need to waste the effort.

Dont be thrown off by some of these reactions, even tho I am a lurker I am sure that lots of people feel the same as me. And I thought it was a useful tut... a good way to fix the driving of vehs. that you dont want is to custom gametype -> vehicles driving -> disabled.

20. ManRayX

ManRayX Ancient

I thought about doing this on a map I'm creating. Do you know if theres a way to extend the amount of time a vehicle will sit there smoldering? Like maybe extending the spawn time to 90 or 120 min?

MRX