Bowser's Castle (Mario Kart 64)

Discussion in 'Reach Race Maps' started by Oopooo, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Oopooo

Oopooo Forerunner

[​IMG]
    (you'll have to use your imagination for the flames blasting out of his face)

Well I thought I had a great idea when I first decided to make this, but apparently I'm far from first to remake this classic map. I looked around at the other versions out there and it turns out we had a lot of similar ideas (moving crates, killballs, etc). There are some great remakes out there but they all lacked one thing... size.

I chose not to have a roof for the section inside the castle and that allowed me to make the whole track to scale. A good lap in mario kart will take you about 1:13, and a perfect (no deaths, no bumping walls, good corners) lap on this is about 1:10. It's not all narrow tunnels either, as you can see. The rooms are as wide as in the original and I included as much detail as possible (trees, arrows, bowser, etc).

Enjoy!

*About the obstacles:
    -the crates in the first room are static, I liked this better then dropping them and waiting for them to respawn.
    -the blocks in the next room would normally come from behind and drop in front of you in pairs, i chose to drop explosives in pairs. They respawn immediately and will send you flying if you get too close, but they're not hard to avoid. Next there are three fixed crates guarding the exit. Again I chose to have them stay still rather then risk blocking off the exit completely (It also let me give them faces).
    -the next room has a pair of covenant crates flying back and forth. They won't hit you too often, but don't forget about them.
    -I used flying killballs for the lava at the first jump, pretty self-explanatory.

pics:​
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Oopooo, Apr 27, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  2. konradtacular

konradtacular Forerunner

wow this map is pretty cool I must say. Man this is pretty smoking hot. The idea is unique and the last picture makes the whole thing look really good. I think that this is one the better race maps.

3. AboveHaloMaster

AboveHaloMaster Forerunner

This is a really well constructed map, I like the turns and jumps that you have, I like the rolling kill ball. I am going to test out this map and I will give you any ideas for your map if I find any that you should use. Great job on the map.

4. Xtermin8R645

Xtermin8R645 Ancient

Wow, this looks like a very close match with the original, the lap time varies more but of course, this isn't Mario Kart. Very good map overall, if you have any budget, maybe add more around the map so the outside isn't as blank.

5. Poolio

Poolio Forerunner

I'm amazed that only two people have replied to this. It is amazing! The aesthetics on this map are great and remembering back to Mario Kart 64, this is a perfect recreation of it. The only thing that might make this a little better is that room with the bridge above the Water, place a Red light in there to make it more sinister IF you have enough money. Anyways great map and great job with the smoothness. Also on the bridge is some Z-Fighting which means they are overlapping each other and are the exact same height, just move one of the pieces a little bit Up or Down so that they don't flickker and reduce the framerate. Anyways, Great job!

6. mcclintonsl

mcclintonsl Forerunner

This is amazing. The attention to detail is brilliant. There's nothing else to say.