Blockout

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by LIGHTSOUT225, Jun 22, 2009.

?

What do you think of this map?

1. Not my style

8.2%
  2. Okay

2.7%
  3. Average

3.4%
  4. Good

20.4%
  5. Great

65.3%
  1. LIGHTSOUT225

Blockout
    Created by MickRaider

Recommended Gametypes: All Gapmetypes Supported
    Recommended Players: 2-8

Lockout. That multi-leveled, strategic playground we all came to love in Halo's past.. That abstract, yet infamous environment of former battles both gloriously won and lost, which retains such fond memories to many of us all... Lockout. Bungie themselves attempted to revive that beloved spirit with the likes of Blackout, yet some purists of the original iteration were still left wanting. At long last, nearly 19 months after the dawn of halo 3, the map most of us have since longed after has returned, in the most accurate form Halo 3's Forge can imagine.

Blockout captures not only Lockout's essence, but its near-pefect form and function as close as possible within Sandbox's limits. If a simple game of slayer doesn't take you on a trip down memory lane, then perhaps a short hiatus to Halo 2 is in order. The angles, lines of sight, and tactics remain about as faithful to the original as they can, and really serve not only as a fantastic map to add to our bolstering featured collection, but also a reminder of the glory and great times experienced by millions in the history of the Halo past. Thanks for the time machine, MickRaider. Cheers.

YouTube - Blockout

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download Blockout

Original FH Thread

If you have any thoughts on this article, or the front page in general, that you would like to share with us then we invite you to post your opinions in the Front Page Feedback thread.

2. Given To Fly

Given To Fly MP Level Designer
    343 Industries

This map was a fun play and definatly deserves this. It looks a lot more Aesthetically since I played it, but Idk what I'm talking about.
    Congrats on the Feature

3. halo kid

halo kid Ancient

I dont know why you would make a remake of a ma with an offical remake,but what ever,a good map is a good map.

4. Xang

Xang Ancient

Finally! This got featured! I loved playing this before with friends and now that it is featured i hope that even more people will see how good this is. Honestly i also like this better then Blackout, i dont know what it is about this map but the forging just looks spendid.

5. Silva Sniper

Silva Sniper Ancient

Yes!I love this map and now it is finally featured.Conrgats Mick and this plays so well.This is a very accurate remake in my book great job!

6. Leoparddude

Leoparddude Ancient

Well unlike everyone that posted here I hadent seen this map before haha.
    Lockout was my favorite original Halo map, Blackout was pretty cool also, now one on Sandbox :D

So congrats MickRaider on getting a feature, and making my day.

7. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11 Ancient

Congratulations MickRaider! The first remake I have seen so far that actually deserved it's feature! That is my opinion, if you don't like it, go to hell. It's the most accurate Lockout remake up to date. I still can't believe you were able to get in every last detail including the shotgun room and the lift, but you did. Amazing job Mick.. Now let's see if SWAT plays as well on this map as it does on Blackout..

8. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like my map as much as I do. Hopefully my future maps can live up to my first map :p (seems ironic huh?) When I have time again v2 should be even better to play on.

9. Ix Massacre xxI

Ix Massacre xxI Ancient

This is a great remake there are like no flaws. I remember playing this map in halo 2. My favorite thing to do is only swords battle. Anyway congrats and i hope to see more of your maps.

10. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11 Ancient

What kind of capture card is used in that video by the way? It's in such great quality...

11. Paragon Fury

Paragon Fury Ancient

While this is very good map.....I don't see the point of re-making a map that already has a spiritual successor as well as an official remake.

That, and original maps are more fun to play on, as they showcase creativity, and usually provide a fresher experience.

Or, in simplier terms, on pure Forging Skill, I'd give it a 9.5 or 10/10, but for overall, 6 or 7, because I can already play Blackout, or if I really, really want to play Lockout, I'll put in Halo 2.

12. Gunnergrunt

Gunnergrunt Ancient

I called it! Wait, I gotta go find that post!

Here it is:
    Congratulations MickRaider! I've been waiting to see this featured for quite some time now! If I would have accepted your offer to help, I'd be premium right now lol. But man, this map just rocks. It is, by far, the best remake out there, hands down. I mean, sure the forgotten treasures were good, but this....
    The map is an absolute blast to play. I always find myself resorting to the old halo 2 tactics out of habit. Its incredibly accurate, even down to the tactical jumps. And you even threw in your own touches in the end. I mean seriously, the guy put a block in front the of Guardian tower so players wouldn't have an annoying light in their eyes while they walked across the map. That just shows how much effort and time he put into forging Blockout. Once again, congrats man. Very well deserved! I can't wait to see your next project!

Holy Shmoly, 9000 dl's? And thats before it got featured....

#12 Gunnergrunt, Jun 23, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  13. NinKeith

NinKeith Ancient

Well it's about time this map got its feature. I've had this map on my HD for as long as I can remember. Most accurate remake I've seen and excellent gameplay. Gratz Mick.

Gunner, where'd you get the specs for your time machine? =] lol nice call.

#13 NinKeith, Jun 23, 2009
  14. Nondual

Nondual Ancient

Congrats dude! I really think this map is great. It definitely shows that you put a lot of time into it. I really like that it plays closer to Lockout than Blackout. Keep up the hard work, I can't wait to see some of the other maps you've been talking about making.

15. ChoasMaster

ChoasMaster Ancient

congratulations, this is a great map and definitely deserves a feature. ive played a good amount of customs on this with my friends, this is one of the best.

16. Zanitor

Zanitor Ancient

Congratulations, This deserves the feature, it is a perfect remake, we may have blackout, but still this was a greatly done map, with excellent Forging, I'm glad to see it got featured. Good luck with future maps :p

17. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Well how bout this for reasons. ;)

1) I wanted to do something simple to build my forge skills. I already had most of the know how to interlock but I wasn't great at it, and I knew Lockout was a map that was definitely remakeable. After about 40 hours in I was forging a piece every 5 minutes or so, instead of every 20 minutes like when I was starting.

2) Remakes are insanely popular. Before this feature I had 9100+ downloads. Racetracks and bungie favorites are really the only maps that get more hits than remakes. People want to play maps they're very familiar with, and I knew a lot of people out there wanted Lockout again (because I know I did) so I thought I would give it to them.

3) I absolutely loved Lockout. I couldn't even begin to count the number of hours I've spent on that map just practicing the tactical jumps, trying to string together trick jumps, and trying to find the quickest ways around. I knew it like the back of my hand. Then blackout came out and all the jumps were gone. Suddenly the map lost all it's flare and now it's to the point where I cringe when it comes up in doubles because it's so unbalanced. I felt like bungie took an A+ map and turned it into a B. I wanted to fix that.

Really I could list reasons all day, but beyond anything else I did it because I wanted to play halo 3 on lockout, and blackout just didn't cut it. It was too different and didn't feel the same at all. Now I have my map that I feel plays the same as lockout which makes me very happy.

If you like Blackout that's fine with me, but I didn't feel like the person who made blackout even spent any time actually playing lockout (in fact he said he never played video games). He didn't understand what made it special, but I would spend hours just practicing tactical jumps on lockout because I loved it so much. Not only was it a blast to play on, it also had some of the most fun tactical jumps of any map, ever. When blackout came out it felt like we got this stripped down step brother of lockout and the disappointment never wore off. That is until bungie released Sandbox. I could go on and on listing the ways that Blackout is different but even if I did all I'd hear back is "All they changed is the window, it's the exact same map" or "If you hate it so much just go play Halo 2". So it's not really worth my time.

I hope you enjoy my map for what it is. :) I tried to replicate the gameplay as best as possible, any "Aesthetic" aspect of the map is purely a coincidence as I tried to make it as true to the original as possible. I'm hoping I can remove some of the unnecessary pieces in the next version to improve performance on split screen.

#17 Vincent Torre, Jun 23, 2009
  18. jpitty

jpitty Ancient

Ya good job. Way to take a **** on Bungie's face because they wanted to give to the community a popular map from Halo 2. Good ****ing job.
    We should just start remaking a "better" Guardian, Pit, Isolation & Narrows.
    Hell after we remade every damn map we should just start remaking other user-created maps. Let's go for Onslaught and maybe Amplified next. Oh, I got an even better idea, let's remake Sandbox, that'll show those Bungie Bastards.
    I wish I was creative enough to remake a map...If only I was...

19. Vincent Torre

Vincent Torre Ancient

Wow man, chill out. I just wanted to give a truer remake, I didn't say I wanted to improve on lockout.

20. Tartan Spartan

Tartan Spartan Ancient

hell I agree with Jpitty they want an f-in map remake of Lockout, they should of employed you and made our moneys worth it. This is awesome btw and blackout didnt flow the same way.

I took a look at my heatmap for Blackout and the red was at Grav building, Sword top and bottom and lower center whereas if I done it for Lockout it would be Snipe Tower, Br tower, Snipe elbow and lower snipe and br.

What im trying to say is Bungie you have Flaming Recon, this guy should get the ULTIMATE armour! GTF BUNGIE, MICK RAIDER ALL THE WAY!!