Big Question..

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by GpSnyder, Jul 13, 2009.

1. GpSnyder

GpSnyder Ancient

I feel kind of ashamed to be asking a question like this, but I guess I have to eventually. Many maps I see on here seem to be built from the ground up, not based off of a pre-existing map like mine. I was wondering, how do you make these maps? I'm thinking you need to have Sandstorm, which I do not, but I'm not sure about that. If anybody could fill me in here, I'd be more than greatful. Thanks for putting up with my noobish ways.

2. Rifte

Rifte Ancient

Well, if you plan your maps out, and discuss it with some people it's accomplishable. Making maps over other ones are for teh newbs, and if people found out you'd probably get bashed for it. Making good maps is never easy, it takes time. The only thing you should be building your maps on is a canvas.

3. Glasgow

Glasgow Ancient

What's Sandstorm?

Also, you could make a map out of a pre-existing one, such as keeping some elements like a tower, or a wall, but change drastically so that only the landmarks you chose to keep are still standing. Also, if you want to make a map from ground up, it takes a lot of time and effort, so don't think it will be over and done in just an hour. You might want to put it on paper as well.

4. HunTedMeat

HunTedMeat Ancient

I think he means this map, Sand-Blasted which is a canvas map. Personally, I build all my maps from the ground up as I like to know exactly how many objects were used for what, without any missing objects and what not. Also, If you do want to build a map from ground up, you should plan it out on paper or in sketchup first. This will give you a better idea of how your map should be built, how much geomerging and interlocking is needed and how many objects you're going to use.

5. GpSnyder

GpSnyder Ancient

Okay, thanks. And yes, I did mean Sand-Blasted, or any sandbox type of Forge map. And, I didn't mean taking a published map and posting on top of it, I meant taking one of the default maps and using that, because for some reason I thought you could customize it completely. My question has been answered, thanks.