Basketball Tryouts

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by shawnatacobell, Nov 14, 2010.

1. shawnatacobell

shawnatacobell Forerunner

I don't know if many people play sports here but next week on monday my high school will be having tryouts for the basketball team. I've been going to conditioning and weights so the coaches know who I am. I play wing, and am one of the top 3 jump shooters on the team. I also play tough defense as well. I don't have to good ball handling though and am not too quick either. Does anyone have any tips on what to expect and how I should try to perform?

2. Bloo Jay

Bloo Jay Ancient

Lots of running. And it doesn't always matter about the skill, but also about how good of a guy you are.

3. V

V Ancient

First off, like Bloo said, running. Lots of it. High school ball is much faster than grade school ball. Also, you should generally always run anywhere you go; in game (duh), when a coach calls you over, etc. unless the coach gives you a break.

Also LISTEN to what the coach has to say. (Again, duh, but you'd be surprised how many kids don't simply listen to what the coach says). Be respectful. If you get advice/criticism, acknowledge it and make a point to put it into practice as soon as possible.

Also, make it a habit to be AS LOUD AS POSSIBLE on defense. Get your whole team talking too. There is nothing you can do to rattle an offense more than have a disciplined, chattering defense constantly pressuring the offensive players.