Balanced Maps Guide

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by freezefry, Mar 22, 2008.

1. freezefry

freezefry Ancient

The more I play Halo 3, the more I realize the importance of balancing maps. I like to compare balancing maps with balance beams. If you add something to one side, you must add it to the other (keep this in mind). A team can only rely on skill when playing on a balanced map; they cannot rely too much on luck, camping, or an overpowered weapon. When forging a map, it is necessary to keep in mind some principles of balanced maps and input them into your creations. I hope to supply a helpful guide for those interested.

1. Make distances between weapons equal.
    For example, the run from a set of grenades to a BR should be similar on both the attacking and the defending sides. If on one side the distance between 2 weapons is greater than the other, you want to make the run between a set of 2 other weapons shorter than the other side, thus evening it out. - This ensures that when the 2 teams clash at a point, they will be equally equipped.

2. Limit power weapons.
    Power weapons, such as the rocket launcher, shotgun, sniper, are tools of destruction that are much better than normal weapons, such as the assault rifle, BR, and SMG. In certain scenarios, these weapons are too powerful, and can give a team too much of an unfair advantage. It is important to not include too many power weapons on a single map, or limit the amount of ammunition in them. But while these weapons are essentially powerful, they can be next to useless in certain situations. For example, the shotty is not as effective in open areas, the sniper is not as effective in enclosed areas, and the rockets are not as effective over long distances (usually). Keep these principles in mind when placing power weapons. - Limiting power weapons ensures that both teams are evenly matched in a game of skill.

3. Effective spawn placement.
    This is similar to my first topic. Before I discussed that the distance from a weapon to another weapon should be equal on both teams' sides. This is basically the same thing as before, except now it is the distance between a spawn location and another titled object. For example, when a player spawns at the start or during the game, they want to be just as distanced from, let's say, the sniper tower as the other team's player. This is more of an issue for starting points than respawn points. - Placing spawn locations well ensures that both teams are spaced out among the map properly with an equal amount of weapons.
    *Remember, this is just spawn placement for making maps balanced. I am well aware of more spawn-placing techniques.*

This is just a short list for starters on how to forge balanced maps. When I think of more ideas, I will add them to my list. I hope this helps the forgehub community who is less knowledgable in the "balancing" area. Please comment with ideas to add to my list. I only listen to constructive criticism, though.

SlasheI2 likes this.
  2. SwordScar

SwordScar Ancient

Good post, lots of info. Another thing on spawn placement, make sure that each spawn has at least a small amount of cover, or is not in the line of sight of main fighting areas, and using most/all respawn areas can never hurt a map, only make it better.

3. freezefry

freezefry Ancient

Thanks for the idea. I appreciate getting constructive criticism.

4. Gamekilla1

Gamekilla1 Ancient

It's when you make a uneven map that it's difficult. Most people test a map alot before actually sharing it.

5. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

Eh, I would hesitantly agree with your points. I don't think that the respawn points matter as much as the starting points. Time yourself from the closest start point to each power weapon in team games, or make the teams have equivalent power weapons, i.e. one can get a sniper rifle while the other gets a rocket launcher.

But I wholeheartedly agree with the point about powerweapons. Too many times I have seen posts where the weapons lists contained at least one of every power weapon, sometimes two. I'm not advocating a specific number or type, but you need to test your map and know it's gameplay. If it has a lot of tunnels and corners, a shotgun of sword would be a primary power weapon, while a sniper might be given to each team to deal with the places that lack cover.

For power weapon balancing, look at the default map The Pit. It has 2 shottys, a sword, rockets, and two snipers. But it's geometry makes it so that each weapon can really only dominate in certain areas, i.e. the shotgun usually stays in that corner, unless the player has a middle range weapon to make up for the shotty's weakness.

So power weapons in moderation, and test with as many power weapons as you want before you find the ones that really matter in your map.

6. Jax

Jax Ancient

Nice guide.

And Kap when you point it out it appears to me there are too many powerweapons on the pit. It's got like 6 of 'em + 2 powerups?

Yet it seems very balanced. Thats because the geometry on that map is made like it is. Using those 6 power weapons and 2 powerups on a map like Guardian or most forged maps wouldn't work. So you can't just put that specific set of powerweapons into any map and have it work. The set of powerweps and powerups must be carefully selected.

7. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

That is exactly my point. Limiting power weapons is good, but see how the map plays with more of them, and cut them down after posting.

8. ferrari504

ferrari504 Ancient

WOW...thank you very much for the guide i needed it.

9. Commander_Ocy

Commander_Ocy Ancient

These are certainly good things to keep in mind. Thanks for posting them up.

10. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

Another thing: Armouries. Bad.
    [​IMG]

Most people think that this would be a good idea, but it isn't. This generally shows lack of effort, and it means that the players don't need to use any kind of strategy whatsoever. I am guilty of using the poor excuses for map balancing before, but if I see another zombies map where the humans can have any weapon they want, I will kick a poodle. If you are going to do this, at least limit the weapons, so the entire team doesn't get rockets and lasers. Not fun.

11. winRdie

winRdie Ancient

:squirrel_eyebrow:Great post been looking for something that would give me direction in ensuring a good map.

12. sham93

sham93 Ancient

Nice guide, but maybe you should say somthing about dual weilding weapons? Like, put them near others so you can have different ones?

13. a dumb cat

a dumb cat Ancient

If you have taken a look over at the maps forum, you will find quite a few "less than stellar" maps that seem to have been posted with little or no testing. I anticipate this will continue for the next few weeks as the Heroic map pack is now free to everyone.

Thank you for this guide. It will definitely help our new members coming over from Bungie.net.

*Prepares for onslaught of ForgeNubs*

--dc

P.S. I was a ForgeNub when I first came here too. But everyone here is cool and helpful, so I stuck around and learned about the community. I am now a Grade 2 ForgeNub. Lol.

14. Dans ego

Dans ego Ancient

I always tend to avoid putting any rocket launchers in as its my worst weapon.

I love the sniper and shot gun though so you will usually find one of each in my maps. I tend to find the most important thing to limit is battle rifles otherwise it turns into a match of battle rifles (which if you wanted you may as well have started with).

15. Kapura

Kapura Ancient

Eh, I wouldn't say that's accurate about dual weapons. I would say for the most part, they should be placed in pairs or symmetrically, and if you do one pair of duels, you should do at least 3. Also note that the spiker is waybadass, and keep that in mind when building your map.

16. XarabianNinjaX

XarabianNinjaX Ancient

i dont feel infection maps should be balanced, i feel strong in the instant kill, but alpha gets pistol and nades

17. spacemarine

spacemarine Ancient

Nice guide, very informative. I will keep these in mind when I make my next map.

18. astronum

astronum Ancient

i do agree with you in most cases but i have seen maps with armories which first you must try to reach as they are far in distance and that have low supllies of weapons and amunition

19. Sacred x War

Sacred x War Ancient

Armouries in my opinion = FAIL. Most of the infection maps made by Forgers who don't even know how the interlock yet, have had armouries. This just causes major camping and again, just lack of skill required.

I have yet to see a completely balanced Infection map where humans have their disadvantages as well as the zombies.

But I do like the idea posted above where there is limited supplies in a far away location.

20. BiG QwackER

BiG QwackER Ancient

Good guide. I was currently making an MLG map (in Sig) and this will help me out when I start to place grenades and weapons along the map.