Backlash

Discussion in 'Reach Race Maps' started by ShaddoBlade, Jun 21, 2012.

1. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

[​IMG]

Halo Reach Racetrack: Backlash - By Rohg - YouTube

Fresh off the back burner comes my first Reach racetrack complete with jumps, shortcuts, and super smooth turns. ...and some FRL. :/

Oh, and it's reversible.

I started Backlash in December of 2010, but struggled to find motivation to work on it, thus the large gap between the start and finish dates. The map does contain some FRL, which is regrettable, but as it is my first map, I really didn't know how bad it would be when I finished. I managed to significantly reduce it by blocking certain LOS with Dishes and Pyramids (which just float above the track due to budget restrictions). The amount or intensity of the FRL isn't too terrible, but it is noticeable in some places. For that, I apologize.

Roundabout, shield door "peak", and first turn
    [​IMG]

Skill jump (tap the Hand Brake just before the jump to land in the sweet spot)
    [​IMG]

First square turn, complete with "drop-down" shortcuts (using the shortcuts can result in not making the shield door jump; use at your own risk)
    [​IMG]

Shield door jump and S-turn
    [​IMG]

Hill leading back to roundabout
    [​IMG]

Second square turn
    [​IMG]

Big jump [hit the man cannons (marked with receiver nodes) dead-on for best results]
    [​IMG]

Banked turn following jump
    [​IMG]

Flat 90 (skill turn) and shield door transitions
    [​IMG]

"Final" turn with shortcuts (the randomly placed buildings)
    [​IMG]

At this point in Race, you will go around the roundabout and backtrack until you complete a full lap (appr 2:50).

Backlash is also BT compatible, making good use of the "gametype-specific" setting by turning a reversible racetrack into a one-way uncheatable Battletrack. The big difference is that part of the roundabout is gone, forcing racers to turn right instead of going around and continuing straight. This creates a unique lap exclusive to BT gametypes. Other changes include some added bordering, a starting area, and the removal of some LOS blockers and other objects not needed in a one-way lap.

The spawn/finish
    [​IMG]

Split roundabout
    [​IMG]

(Author's Note: The BT lap contains less FRL and combined with the lack of collisions due to its one-way lap, is the more competitive lap for any hardcore racers out there.)

Anyway, that's my map. Download it from my fileshare by searching my GT; Rohg, or by searching the tag: Backlash. Thanks for giving this thread a looksie, and any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Special thanks to everyone that joined my games, kept me motivated, or helped out in any other way. YOU are the reason this map was finished.

Download

#1 ShaddoBlade, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2012
  2. Zigywig

Zigywig Forerunner

Even though there aren't many aesthetics, I like all the cool tricks you used (roundabouts, shortcuts, skill jumps, etc.). Definitely checking this out later. Nice job!

3. Benji

Benji Ancient

It's great to see you forging a map on Reach! I remember downloading your Halo 3 race tracks. This map runs smooth (apart from the framerate) and the roundabout adds an interesting dimension to it. The only problem aesthetically is that the underside of some of the pieces look out of place, but that was largely out of your control. Great map.

4. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

Ooh, I'm downloading this. I loved tracks so much in Halo 3 (including some of Shaddo's), and I've been largely disappointed with the tracks in reach. they just lack the feel that they had in H3. This looks pretty awesome though, so I'll have to check it out.

5. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

Thanks, guys. Let me know what you think after racing it. I've learned plenty about Reach's forge and how it works with racetracks from making Backlash, but I want to make sure I didn't overlook any flaws before I finish my next track.