Avarice

Discussion in 'Featured Maps' started by LIGHTSOUT225, May 9, 2009.

?

What do you think of this map?

1. Not my style

13.5%
  2. Okay

5.8%
  3. Average

9.6%
  4. Good

19.2%
  5. Great

51.9%
  1. LIGHTSOUT225

Avarice
    By squidhands

Recommended Players: 2-8
    Recommended Gametypes: Team Slayer, Slayer, KOTH, Oddball, One Flag, One Bomb

Good ol' squidhands is back at it again. His latest, Avarice, is a mid-sized marvel complete with both matchmaking and MLG varieties. Varying elevations and a mix of medium and long range sight lines truly capture the classic Halo: CE feel in all its glory. Fantastic for a wide array of gametypes, of both FFA and team capacities, Avarice has something for everyone to enjoy.

Fan of those one-sided objective games? Assault the blue room with coordinated attacks in search of that coveted objective. Like you some King? Avarice shines in both Team and FFA Hill games. Lost that slayin' feeling? Use the high ground to your advantage and always watch your teammates' backs. Make sure you grab the recommended gametypes SkyFlag One and Team Skyball for optimal CTF and Oddball settings. Forged expertly, Avarice's unique geometry and its uncanny way of promoting movement throughout keeps this map fresh and exciting for about as many games as you fancy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Download Avarice

Download MLG Avarice
    Download SkyFlag One
    Download Team Skyball

Original FH Thread

If you have any thoughts on this article, or the front page in general, that you would like to share with us then we invite you to post your opinions in the Front Page Feedback thread.

2. xSharpshooter94

xSharpshooter94 Ancient

first infraction^. never saw this map. Ill download and take a look but the layout looks good for slayer and CTF so I'll check it out. Congrats on the feature.

3. ape man 117

ape man 117 Ancient

relly like the layout but for some reason reminds me of something ive seen before, hmm wish i could remember what, but anyway i love the layout and cant wait to play on it overall 9.5/10 would be 10/10 but because of the strange familiarity.

4. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11 Ancient

Congratulations on the new feature Squidhands! I figured this was one of the few maps going to get featured soon. And I was right! I have snuck a few games of this in with my parties, and if you know me *wink wink* I host a lot of parties. (Apologies to those whose testing sessions I have ruined by bringing my parties along).

5. Xang

Xang Ancient

Looks really good but its not the best. I would like to see some more screen shots, because all im seeing is basically blue base, red base and an overview. I`ll just download it to check it out but i rarely do that... :(

6. LIGHTSOUT225

/facepalm. this is standard featured map thread format. there is a link at the bottom that says VIEW ORIGINAL FORGEHUB THREAD FOR MORE INFORMATION

*shakes head in disdain*

also, you suck for voting already on a map you know practically nothing about.

#6 LIGHTSOUT225, May 9, 2009
    Last edited: May 9, 2009
  7. Thuckey

Thuckey Ancient

WOW,

I am so glad this was featured, cause I was JUST checking out this map in the forge and thinking "wow this is awesome"

Great map. I can't wait to try it in customs when I round up enough people.

8. Psycho

Psycho Ancient

The first time I played this map I had no idea Squid forged it. I was amazed at how balanced the map was and (as my party would know) fascinated by those holes in the floors at the top hill. Such a well-deserved feature, Squid, make more asymmetrical MLG maps like this. These play so well. Congrats on the feature dude.

EDIT: Just a little side note: King plays amazingly on this.

#8 Psycho, May 9, 2009
  9. JoshRicks

JoshRicks Ancient

When i first saw this map it looked like a feature! Congrats on it Squidhands it's a Amazing map:)

10. spazmonkey92

spazmonkey92 Ancient

WIN!

i think i played this in a previous TGIF and it was pretty fun, the only bad side was people on my team died too easily...at our own base, i mean our AVG life was about 5 seconds.

REALLY great map though.
    but when you play make peoples shields a little stronger.

5shot br kills or somthing?

11. ShaddoBlade

ShaddoBlade Fuzzy Little Man Peach

I love this map. It's the first slayer map that I kept on my harddrive for more than a week, and I plan on keeping it there indefinitely. The aesthetics are wonderful, as they complement the gameplay perfectly. The gameplay is great as well. I always have fun playing this map, even when I lose, which is often since I fail at sniping. The weapon placement fits the map well, and the map design gives you the feel of playing on an entirely different map from Sandbox. My favorite part of this map is the fact that there are few places that you can walk off the side. This really completes a map and makes it seem so much more professional. Great job and congrats on the feature. This map truly deserves it.

12. Forge|Designer|C13

nice map, i reckon a v2 could be released , with more rooms underneath , short and small chambers to hide in a strike at the opposition at the last second.

13. ezekeil20five17

ezekeil20five17 Ancient

I played this last night and it is very good the map flows extremely well and the gameplay is very fluid you never feel like one area has an advantage over the other

I played 3v3 slayer I can't wait to try other gametypes

Probably the best skybox map so far

Nice work

14. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

Do you play UT3? If you don't, then I don't know what you're talking about, lol...

15. Master Debayter

Master Debayter Ancient

Yeah, that's what I was thinking when I saw that post.

Either way, I had no idea you made this. This map really shines in its KOTH gameplay (really) and when I played it last weekend, I never knew that squidhands made this map. Well, I do now at least. Great map.

16. Awkward Silence

Awkward Silence Ancient

Huh? Why is it important to do that for this map?

Anyways, the map looks fantastic. Downloading it now. But what do the gametypes do? What do they change to make the map play better?

17. iRaynne

iRaynne Ancient

Great map Squidhands, this is well deserved. I remember when you, me, and a couple of others played this, and we had a lot of fun. The hills are placed in great spots, and the weapon placement compliments the gameplay really well. Avarice is always gonna be on my hard drive.Congratulations!

18. TraiiT

TraiiT Ancient

Congratulations on The Feature! Love the Layout, Really nice map to play on and it would be even better if this got put into matchmaking :surprise:

19. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

The one for Oddball sets the inactive ball timer to 10sec so the "play ball" can still work in the skybubble. It's basically a matchmaking version of Pulsekiller's Cyn Ball that plays for his excellent MLG Cynosure skybubble map. The one-flag variant that I made makes for a pretty fast-paced match, with five 3min rounds. There's a very quick flag return of 3sec, and an idle flag will reset after 10sec if no one is around it (again in case the flag falls off the map, you won't have to wait around for it to respawn). I chose an odd number of rounds to help alleviate the chances of a tie game, which I encountered a lot of when playing one-flag. This may seem unfair to some, since the attackers will have an extra shot at scoring. But as it turns out, it focuses more on a coordinated defense rather than just a Slayer game with a flag in it. Anyway, the gametype isn't mandatory, but it makes for some very interesting one-flag games.

Thanks again for the downloads and the praise. I'd like to thank The Academy, Jesus, Unreal Tournament, Cthulhu, and Bea Arthur for making all this possible.

20. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented
    Forge Critic Senior Member

^
    You say there are five rounds for the One Flag variant? Shouldn't there be an even number of rounds so that each team has an equal chance of winning?

The map is very good and I like some of the original architecture. Good map squidhands. Add another poop bar to your belt.

#20 AceOfSpades, May 9, 2009