Sandbox Attic

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by makisupa007, May 13, 2009.

1. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Download Attic

[​IMG]

The Attic is a floating map constructed utilizing the slanted walls and ceiling at the very top of the Crypt. It is totally symmetrical and is a smaller sized map meant for 2-6 players. I went in to forge this time knowing that I wanted to use this upper level of the Crypt. I also knew that I wanted to try making a map with a lighting filter on. In the past when I had tried using lighting filters in the Crypt it felt way to dark for my liking. Because the Attic is such a brightly lit and enclosed space the filter really brings out the colors while not taking away the light. Each team spawns underneath their team's colored beacon structure. There is a main bridge at the very bottom of the map that leads straight into the opposing base but has little cover. There are ramps up to a second level along the outside of the map. From this level there are also two more ramps leading up to the Crypt ceiling level, where the flame thrower is found. Two killballs border the center bridge below and make quick work of any stumbling short jumpers. The tube up to the surface has been turned into a bright ceiling light structure. Download Attic for some intense small team games in a unique and visually vibrant environment.

Gametypes:
    1. Slayer/Team Slayer
    2. Multi Flag
    3. Assault
    4. KOTH
    5. Oddball
    6. VIP
    7. Territories
    8. Infection

Weapons:
    1. 6 BR's
    2. 2 Brute Shots
    3. 2 Spikers
    4. 1 Flame Thrower
    5. 2 Needlers
    6. 1 Shotgun

Equipment:
    1. 1 Power Drain
    2. 1 Regenerator
    3. 3 Fire Bomb Grenades
    4. 1 Bubble Shield

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please enjoy Attic. Comments and feedback are appreciated.

Gameplay Video by cheese and fries

YouTube - Halo 3 - Attic

Download Attic

#1 makisupa007, May 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  2. MASTER016

MASTER016 Ancient

wow this map looks amazing i was wondering were is the map made like what level of sandbox
    sorry for the dumb question i was really tired when i posted

#2 MASTER016, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 14, 2009
  3. RunTime83

RunTime83 Ancient

If you actually read the description, even the first line, you wouldn't have to ask that question.......

Another great job, Maki! And, I must admit, very ingenious of you to utilize the top of the crypt. I do believe that is a first! Map looks amazing. Sorry I couldn't get in on that game but I'm sure I'll have plenty more chances. I'm not normally a fan of lighting effects, but you pulled it off with this map. Extremely unique map that I can't wait to get a game on. 5/5!

4. R0FLninja

R0FLninja Ancient

Hmmm, the layout of this map is quite unique and contradictory to the average sandbox forging style, i have not seen a map like this, and it looks cool, utilizing the kill balls as a "lava pit" sort of feature, the effects make the kill balls turn purpelish, which does not look that aestheticly pleasing, but besides that, it looks great.

4.5/5 excellent forging

5. ehand88

ehand88 Ancient

Wow this is a very artistic looking map. I like how this map has 1 main walkway in the center, which is the most direct route from one base to the other but also has the least cover. I also like the overhanging walkways on the upper level, but i think you should remove the long wedges and just maybe put a small wedge (see pic 1 or 7* *starting from the bottom) so you can see more of the map from up there. Nice aesthetics overall, and I think I will dl and give it a try.

6. Blazeinator

Blazeinator Ancient

Dang it, I was going to be the first one (that I know of) to make a map up in the top part of the crypt. At least mine looks nothing like this.

The map is very good, clean, well laid out. You seem to be the first person that has truly pulled off a filter effect well in a competitive map. This looks like it would be cool played with the rave gametypes too, because of the colours. Over all 4.5/5

7. Xang

Xang Ancient

Once again, another amazing map from you, and you posted this one quicker then others... I also love your use of killballs, because i find that it adds to the effect of the map.

8. nuvnuv123

nuvnuv123 Ancient

wow...just wow. I really thought this was great.

9. Killsbury3

Killsbury3 Ancient

I never thought of using the roof of the crypt as a ceiling! Nice job. I like it when people make maps that play well but are still pleasing to the eye, and I love it when it is something that I haven't thought up. This fits all three categories perfectly. 10/5.

10. porkstein

porkstein Ancient

Wow, using the roof of the crypt gives the map such an atmosphere! The whole idea that you don't feel like you're on solid ground, and the low ceiling, give this map a very unique presence. Congratulations.

11. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Mullet

Thanks for the positive feedback. I kind of like the purple heat vision that the killballs give off. Aesthetics are definitely in the eye of the beholder. For example, this guy went somewhere and asked them to cut his hair like this:

[​IMG]

I'm not familiar with the Rave gametype. Sounds cool though. Just because I was the first to post a map at the top of the crypt doesn't mean mine will be the best. How close to done is you lofted map?

#11 makisupa007, May 14, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  12. RunTime83

RunTime83 Ancient

^^^^ Freaking halarious!!!

This map is great for 3v3. I think doubles would be perfect though. The gameplay seemed to flow really well too

13. luckeas

luckeas Ancient

For the most part I liked playing 3v3 on this map, just a couple things though. I think I got maybe 5 or 6 kills from spawn killing, who knows how many assist to go along with that. But with a smaller map the only thing I can suggest is somehow creating safer spawn zones.

Another Thing. The red is to red for me, not only was it wicked bright of my HDTV, but the opposing red team blended right in, meaning I could hardly see them when they were standing directly in the Red Base. The blue has a nice tone but red is to much. I also personally hate playing with Filters on, but this is one of the maps that actually pulled it off. Really nice use of filter.

Overall I'd say this map would be good for 2v2 and 3v3 Flag and Bomb games, maybe not the best for slayer though, wow now I feel like playing neutral bomb on it. I'll send you FR so we can play this map more.

#13 luckeas, May 15, 2009
    Last edited: May 15, 2009
  14. Rho Fs

Rho Fs 2x2 Forge Judge

Yea i pretty much agree with what he said maki. Some of the spawns were questionable. Maybe we could work on fixing it for a v2. Gameplay wasa fun but i was dissapointed at how little i got to play. You nail everyone of you maps and ther are only 1 or 2 things that would make this map much better. I can't wait to do a collab with you.

15. whiizzle

whiizzle Ancient

i love how unique this feels, especially on sandbox with the lighting. it looks like a different map. very special map in my books. 5/5

maybe add like a little tunnel underneath the map kind of like narrows

16. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

Team Size

I've found that for FFA Slayer, 5 players is a good number. Team Slayer supports 2v2 the best(3v3 is a little crowded and can cause some unprotected spawns). 3v3 works though for objective gametypes like Multiflag(touch return recommended) and Assault where there are respawn areas to separate the spawning. It is a fairly small map and if you are not playing the right gametype 3v3 can seem pretty hectic.

17. Shlbamobinladen

Shlbamobinladen Ancient

This map has one of the coolest... fellings of any map i think. What i mean is your right about the lighting up higher in the cryp. It just gives it a open/enclosed feel at the same time. Crazy i know the omly thing i dont like is the kill balls.

18. II ELITE II

II ELITE II Ancient

Really interesting design. From what I can see all the walkways and floor look nice and smooth. This looks like a great map for small sided slayer or CTF games and the FX adds a really nice atmosphere to the map. A definite dl for me. 5/5

ELITE

19. XxHG Br K1ngxX

XxHG Br K1ngxX Ancient

I enjoyed downloading this map. It is the first one I have really downloaded and looked at. The map itself is amazing, the fact that the Crypt is the ceiling is amazing, and also I noticed the flamethrower, really nice.

I like this map, really fun map to play on, I will be playing 3v3s and 4v4s on it soon. Thanks :) 5/5

20. Nestik

Nestik Ancient

And people complained about the slanted roof in the crypt when sandbox first came out.. now look at it! it's a MAP! oh the irony.. it looks amazing, sadly i haven't had a chance to DL it yet. BUT i will tommorrow and i'll post a review when i'm done playing on it :D so far from the looks and what you used and just the all around uniqueness.. i give it a 3 out of 5.. and thats without gameplay!