AstroTurf v1.4

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by Pegasi, May 27, 2008.

?

Does this map need SMGs added?

1. Yay, more guns! I like guns!

16 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Its fine the way it is.

14 vote(s)
    35.9%
  3. Killing is bad.

9 vote(s)
    23.1%
  1. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

This is my first 1v1/2v2 project and also my first completely enclosed map, it uses none of the walls or floors of foundry.

Gametypes: 1v1/2v2 Slayer, FFA, Oddball, King of the Hill, (Duel)
    Players: 2-4
    Recommended weapon start: Assault Rifle

Download AstroTurf

This map guarantees fun 1v1s, 2v2s or FFA games, its so hard to watch all directions at once that you'll find folding ground for a long time very difficult. Be prepared to run around the 2 large triangular (ish) divides and move about the map for key weapons. The plas pistol is your good friend.

Now with added cover! A little cover was added and I managed to make the outer walls on the roads higher allowing me to put objects in there for cover, aesthetics etc. Top middle still remains quite open to stop it becoming overpowered:
    [​IMG]
    Please download this new version if you liked the first one, gameplay will be improved, there were 40 downloads already which is a really pleasing response, even though it now says 0.

The name comes from this maps initial inspiration, Turf from Halo 2. It is hardly the same level, and definitely not a remake, but is just inspired by the large L-shaped roadway of this Halo 2 classic. I loved the way the level balanced 2 long, perpendicular open roads forming the backbone of the level with smaller alleyways completing the square shape of the level.
    Obviously this was not completely transferable as foundry is alot smaller than turf and materials limits meant that an equally detailed alleyway section would have been impossible and too cramped.
    Instead I decided to take further inspiration from Construct, designing longer, bare feeling hallways with high walls to create a simple but effective layout.
    This map is really simple to learn as it is quite small and is very visually logical.

On to the description:
    There are 3 height levels in this map, but they are definitely not different floors as the top of the level is open, think closer to the different heights of Unchained and Fractured (both of these maps were a great help and technical inspiration from this map, it owes alot to Furious D18 and IvOrY Snak3, so thank you. If you haven't seen these maps somehow, check them out straight away).

The highest point on the map is the corner of the 2 roads which has good views along the left hand road:
    [​IMG]
    There is a barrier at the end with a bubble shield and firebomb grenade to provide some cover for attackers and the entrance to the tunnel is also down this road.
    [​IMG]
    The tunnel comes out on the lowest level:
    [​IMG]
    The lowest level is floored with walls and has access to both roads and top middle. Sniper spawns against the back wall of this level, up against the fence boxes.
    Access to the right hand road is via stairs:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    there is a regenerator at the top of these stairs to counterpoint the bubbleshield and aid attackers moving toward the dominant position of top middle.
    The middle corridor can be dangerous to traverse and so a single crate has been added for cover. I have not put in too much cover as I liked the way the bare corridors in Construct focused gameplay around movement and made both holding areas and attacking them a challenge.
    Top middle is quite bare so as not to overpower this position as it has dominating views down all 3 main corridors, there is a mauler and a single plasma grenade.
    Here is the view from the back wall where sniper spawns:
    [​IMG]

This level is set up for Slayer/Team Slayer/ King of the Hill and Oddball.
    Its really a 1v1 level but works for 2v2s or FFA.
    Please be honest as I'm always ready to change my maps based on suggestions.

This map uses alot of interlocking to completely enclose itself, its not the most aesthetic map but this is partly because I chose function over form when building it, some objects look a bit odd but are chosen to optimise gameplay. Also, I've run out of all walls, fence walls, corner walls, double walls, even doors. The only immovable objects left are a couple of signs, window panels and a single box or 2, so the last bits of the outer wall were made out of what I had left. I think it has worked well though and I worked hard getting walls flat and interlocking objects so that they look good.

Here is an overview of the level with all weapon, grenade and equipment spawns marked and listed. Blacked out areas indicate inaccessible areas (the outer boundary is solid though, I just didnt want to colour the entire outside of the map black) or cover-boxes, dumpsters, barriers, wire spools. Arrows indicate a staircase or ramp and point towards the higher end. 16 and 17 are SMGs that I'm considering adding but am not sure so let me know on that if you have an opinion, for some reason it cut the end of my text in the image but it reads 'considering adding' (EDIT: no 17 SMG has been added, no 15 plasma rifle has been removed and no 16 SMG has been moved to behind the adjacent cover):

EDIT: v1.3, spawns have been fixed for FFA, now plays well up to 4 players on all gametypes.

EDIT: Now up to version 1.2, shotgun has been removed and mauler has moved to where shotgun used to be- in the tunnel. Grenade spawn times have been taken up as they were just everywhere and the sniper respawn is now up to 180s with no spare clips.

[​IMG]

The scaling isnt great and so the bottom right looks kinda bunched with weapons and grenades but its bigger in the actual map and is all spread out properly. Apart from that I think it describes the level well in simple terms.

Download AstroTurf

Please let me know what you think.

Here are a couple of reviews of the map:
    And this is a review from Bungie.net, please bear in mind that the aspects of the review that deal with the thread are based on the Bungie.net thread, not this one, so please take notice of what it says about the map.

#1 Pegasi, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  2. desert rat 852

desert rat 852 Ancient

Thank you, you finally posted this. this is a awesome 1v1 map, Pegasi, 5/5, great work! You never seise to amaze me,I just hope that our upcoming project will be as good.

#2 desert rat 852, May 27, 2008
    Last edited: May 27, 2008
  3. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Cheers man, nice one on the 1st post as well ;). Its really nice to have someone keen to play my maps, its much appreciated and I'm looking forward to working with you.

4. Chicken Dippah

Chicken Dippah Ancient

looks orgasmic very clean and neat but damn cant wait to pay it

5. silentblade117

silentblade117 Ancient

looks awsome! Hope it plays as well as it looks. Can't wait to try.

6. Kagemusha

Kagemusha Ancient

Kinda looks like a zombie map based on the pictures, but this looks fantastic. I can't wait to play it.

7. Etgamer114

Etgamer114 Ancient

looks good,but a bit to big for 1 vs 1

8. HumBoys

HumBoys Ancient

Looks sweet. The interlocking looks practically seamless.

9. Sacred x War

Sacred x War Ancient

Looks like a fantasticly designed map. I'll have to use this as inspiration.

10. shortspeedy

shortspeedy Ancient

Interlocking is flawless, along with the rest of the map. This should be featured. I think this map would be more fun with more people, but thats just me.

11. Mount Killamonjaro

Great Map! Like the stairs Btw.

12. Thom Barbarossa

Thom Barbarossa Ancient

10/5 lol, this is incredible all the walls and floor are interlocked superbly and the stair thing is super cool, you forge a nice map

13. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Thanks for the replies.

A couple of people have said that this map looks suitable for 2v2 in size, and I have considered this. It is set up for 2v2 in slayer/KOTH/Oddball but I need feedback on my spawn placement for more than 1v1 matches. Its something that's really important on these smaller maps (I know this map is bigger than most 1v1s but its still smaller than any other map I've attempted yet, mostly due to it being enclosed which takes up alot of space in itself) and I would like to know if people think my spawn placement is set up well for 2v2s before I propose this map for games of this size.

Thanks for picking up on that as well as its something I'd thought about but was unsure if it would be well recieved.

14. The Cheat

The Cheat Ancient

looks pretty well forged! I like the use of interlocking, it shows that you have some skill in the art of forge!
    I love enclosed maps and will Download as soon as I get a new Halo 3.

-The Cheat-

15. locoidontknow

locoidontknow Ancient

Really nice looking map. I really like the 1v1 concept, because my son and I play split screen and there are very few good 1v1 maps.

16. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

Wow, I wish my dad played Halo. It sounds weird to people who don't play computer games but I find it a great social activity.

17. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

This map looks beautiful when it comes to your forging skills. The walls and ground look immaculate. The map looks a little open from the screenshots, but I won't really be able to tell until I've ran through the map. I really think this map will play very well, and I'll get back to you on the spawns. Good work Pegasi, your maps are getting better and better with every release.

18. The Hudacris

The Hudacris Ancient

Looks quite incredible. I believe this is one of the neatest maps I've seen so far. Are there Alleys in the map?

19. Pennywiez

Pennywiez Ancient

wow cool it looks very neat and the way you placed the fence walls looks amazing

20. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

the tunnel acts as a kind of alley, and the central corridor gets kinda narrow but its arguably too central to the level to be considered an alleyway. The back areas are narrow and give some interesting gameplay fighting across the back wall of the map.