Anyone Sick of Foundry?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by freezefry, Jan 21, 2008.

1. Rmcski21

Rmcski21 Ancient

For while there was hope that the next DLC would have a forge-tacular map just llike foundry, but after reading the latest bungie update, it doesn't look like thats the case. there has been no mention of a new forgeable map.

Everyone does their maps on foundry because its really the only place you can make a cool map. Although ive never tried on rats nest, but i know standoff is to uneven to even place a box... Besides, standoff is awesome the way it is... the original layout for foundry sucks.

2. Gavintaft433

Gavintaft433 Ancient

no i'm not really taht bored of it i have'nt made enough maps on it yet but when there done i'll post em

3. squidhands

squidhands Ancient

I like that there a so damn many Foundry maps. It makes you think more creatively. Plus I'm willing to bet that if people weren't spitting out Foundry maps every five seconds we wouldn't have all these cool glitches and tricks handed to us. This is going to give Foundry a new aesthetic quality that's bound to move away from just another map full of boxes and ramps. I've got a map coming that should prove this point...

4. Jax

Jax Ancient

I don't have the DLC maps (Didn't think 2 maps that shouldve been included in the original instead of Snowbound and Isolation. And a map where we can forge the geometry? Shouldve been in the original game) and I'm helluva sick of this community almost being based of that one map. Its just to easy to make something innovative that its not innovative any more. For example: Hobo heights>all Foundry maps, because Foundry is to simple. Creating something on a map where the gemoetry is allready set up is much harder than creating something in an empty box. Its harder building dominos on my messy desktop than it is on the floor.

5. El Leone

El Leone Ancient

In terms of what you can do, Foundry has been pretty successful and there's been things on there that we would never been able to do on the other maps. So in that regard, no I am not sick of Foundry. However, I am sick of how the general art style of Foundry. Such a ugly map.

6. Ray Benefield

Ray Benefield Godly Perfection
    Forge Critic

[quote author=Jax link=topic=2287.msg29775#msg29775 date=1201024867]
    I don't have the DLC maps (Didn't think 2 maps that shouldve been included in the original instead of Snowbound and Isolation. And a map where we can forge the geometry? Shouldve been in the original game) and I'm helluva sick of this community almost being based of that one map. Its just to easy to make something innovative that its not innovative any more. For example: Hobo heights>all Foundry maps, because Foundry is to simple. Creating something on a map where the gemoetry is allready set up is much harder than creating something in an empty box. Its harder building dominos on my messy desktop than it is on the floor.
    [/quote]

I agree. Foundry is easy... there is no challenge in actually making a map on foundry. However easy is what the majority wants so that's what they get. The good news is that the geometry of Foundry is not perfect, and you have to work around certain objects of Foundry to make a map work.

With ease comes MANY maps made by people that don't know what they are doing. However, also with ease comes more creativity and possibilities for those that do know what they are doing. Maps like "The Estate", "The Labyrinth", and "Training Ground" would have never been possible on another map. The argument that people don't use the other maps because of geometry is not a good one. The main reason people don't build on them is because of the items available on them. If Rat's Nest had all of the objects that Foundry had... I would love building on Rat's Nest (Standoff, is a geometry factor, but I personally don't like Standoff at all. I fee that it's general theme has been over done by Bungie).

Foundry is easy, but Foundry is also flexible. As already stated, certain maps cannot be created on other maps. Foundry is awesome, cuz you make your own geometry. No I am not tired of Foundry... and yes I will continue building on Foundry. But if I can do it on another level (without loosing anything from the gameplay) then I will. However, Foundry is where it's at.

And by the way, Hobo Height's is cool, but it's luck based... I don't like it. Last Resort is cool, but is either too laggy, or too much of a pain to block off successfully. Just give me Foundry, cuz then I can focus more on gameplay rather than working my way around geometry.

7. Gravedigger5454

Gravedigger5454 Ancient

Why are you sick of Foundry? Although it does allow you to make bad maps easier, the possibilities it has have not yet been fully explored. There is so much you can make on Foundry that wouldn't be possible anywhere else. Or in the case of one map I made, extremely laggy anywhere else. If you have a good map idea, you need to have Foundry available to make it better. You should never not use Foundry unless the map your making could be better on a different map. There are two maps I've created where I've found not using Foundry to benefit the gameplay and look of the map, one of them actually only could have worked on Standoff.

8. Insane54

Insane54 Ancient

lights wouldnt be that hard to do, we had them in JKA like this:

/place t2_light <z-axis> color,<R><G><B>,radius,<radius>

and that was it...it would be very possible to put a 'Light' entity and u could set color and radius in the settings, then the z axis is of course wherever you just placed it

still, i feel like it wouldn't change the atmosphere...tho u might be able to do a disco ball like we used to :squirrel_giggle:

9. Admiral_Mubutu

Admiral_Mubutu Ancient

I'm making a map now on Foundry, but the map I'm making after that is on Rat's Nest.

It's the first map I'm making there, the budget is surprisingly large.

It will make a very sick race map.

:squirrel_giggle:

10. ICTUS TACTUS

ICTUS TACTUS Ancient

Yes-- the ambiance for Foundry can get kind of gloomy and overused.

11. ShadowSnip3r RC

ShadowSnip3r RC Ancient

I think in a sense people are getting tired of Foundry. In another sense though, Foundry was intended for Forge which makes it always possible to construct something that looks nothing like the map. Thats why my expectations of created maps built on Foundry have been raised because its better to see something that looks like a completely different map than see one that has similarities to the original Foundry. There you have it.

12. Reap3r 13

Reap3r 13 Ancient

I'm tired of the look of Foundry not the maps on Foundry.

13. The Jon B

The Jon B Ancient

I agree that forging is very Foundry-heavy these days, but look it, no other map offers you the variety of useful scenery that Foundry offers. Take The Pit for example. You get a budget of about $275, and your options are crates, fusion coils and camping stools. What the crap am I supposed to do with a camping stool? Sure, if you want to make crazy, ridiculous KOTH maps or air bases, some of the other maps are great, but for serious, original map-making, no other map can stand up to Foundry, largely because of the lack of objects available for actually building an original structure. I've forged a few maps that weren't on Foundry, and I found it so limiting that it was scarcely worth my time. Creating is hard, and I'll take every advantage I can get.

I look at it this way. If I'm a painter, why would I want to limit myself to only the primary colors? Give me a whole pallett. Foundry offers a whole pallett.

14. FallDamage

FallDamage Ancient

with a creative mind, forging can never get old. the only problem is that the only decent building space is on foundry. and yes those rusty walls are starting to look a little repetative. Its a shame that everything looks so 'shanty' because it makes even the best built map look decrepid

15. LEGION

LEGION Ancient

I hear what everyone is saying and all are valid but now that we have the budget glich i find my mind wondering to new and exciting places

16. o2oGodsMistake

o2oGodsMistake Ancient

Foundry is the God of all forge maps at the moment since it offers pretty much everything that your heart desires, and it will never really get old to a point where it gets repetitive since there are limitless possibilities with all the techniques and glitchs we have found on it. like the Underground space, umlimited budget, interlocking, which allow aweseome maps to be created. But hopefully in the next new maps that come out later they will offer awesome forge capabilities and maybe unlimited budget w/ a limit on items but its like 300 not just 100. But that is why its the best map right now!

17. Stolenpoo

Stolenpoo Ancient

I'm getting really tired of it, but it is true that the other maps suck for objects. Pretty mutch the best you can do is limit areas of the previous maps. Foundry provides forging needs.

18. Draxfear

Draxfear Ancient

I think foundry is great. It does loads of stuff that the other maps just don't have. But yeah, its getting a bit old and I hate the same looks of the maps. If only they released the same map but with different colour schemes. And it is getting harder to come up with new ideas for maps on foundry, cos its probably already been done.

19. freezefry

freezefry Ancient

I find it hard to believe how some of you don't find Foundry repitive. Pretty much every map in the Forge Maps section of the Forum is in Foundry. I am yet to see a good Standoff map.

20. Twinbird24

Twinbird24 Ancient

It would be pretty nice if Bungie releases a "sandbox" map. Somewhat like Sandtrap except empty, and you can place larger objects, like parts of a base. That'd be awesome