Anyone else slightly disappointed with Forge?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by PatchworkZombie, Nov 7, 2012.

1. PatchworkZombie

PatchworkZombie Forerunner

I just get the impression that 343 tailored forge towards idiots who want to mess about driving warthogs through mancannons, rather than people who want to make serious maps. Here are a few things I don't like, I probably won't be the only one:

1) They took out precision editing. The reason for this is totally unknown but now forging in detail and fixing Z-Fighting is extremely difficult.
    2) The objects don't line up correctly with co-ordinates, especially if you turn them upside down.
    3) The brace large, one of the best and smoothest objects in Reach, has some bullshit texture on it. So have the Bank 2x2, the bridges (which are also curved at the edges and too wide) and most other objects.
    4) If you turn an object upside down (especially bridges) they don't seem to fit against other objects (there is usually a large bump when walking between), meaning 343 basically are trying to force us to use objects actually how they intended.
    5) You can't see how an object looks because while you are holding it, it glows yellow.

There's other things as well but I'm running out of time here. By the way I still think forge is awesome and will be forging, just a little disappointed.

#1 PatchworkZombie, Nov 7, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  2. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

I love the forge pallet, but yeah

things I find troubling:

1) they put the parts list in a strange order (that might just be me)
    2) the new forge object skins are too busy
    3) everything seems muddled (the crisp edges of Halo Reach are gone)
    4) atmospheric effects are great in multiplayer, but it makes it hard to see the entire map in forge
    5) the magnet system is only selectively useful
    6) the noise the monitor makes (entering editor mode, exiting editor mode, editor mode) basically any point where you are the editor, the noise it makes is irritating after a while.

on another thought, there is a underhang of rock behind Ravin that would be perfect for a lockout remake

3. LIGHTSOUT225

Not only is precision editing gone, but you can no longer zoom in with the Monitor. It's pretty annoying trying to line up some pieces. WHY ARE THERE NO MAGNETS ON THE SIDES OF THE BRACE, LARGES?!?!

I almost want to just throw some braces up Halo 3 style.

4. REMkings

REMkings BIOC
    Forge Critic Senior Member

You forgot the exclusion of Falcons, and the removal of the popular gamemodes Race, Insane and Invasion, as well as the lack of VIP, which we all missed in Reach.

And of course they screwed up Infection because they decided not to enable the zombies/flood to use vehicles or other weapons than the flood claw.

#4 REMkings, Nov 7, 2012
  5. LIGHTSOUT225

Race is do-able using KotH, believe it or not. You just have to make the hills move upon one point gained, which is one second. Make them move in sequence, and make sure the hill is large enough that when racing through it at full speed, you spend a full second inside it, ensuring the point.

BOOM!

Took me a little while to figure that all out

EDIT: Using nearly the same formula as above, I've created Rocket Race already. Play testing is happening today (Wednesday). Get at me if you want in. Ragnarok Speed is done already. Gonna work on Meltdown, Vortex, Exile, and Compound tomorrow.

#5 LIGHTSOUT225, Nov 7, 2012
  6. Agamer

Agamer Ancient

I'd be interested in joining you for Rocket Race. My gamertag is Roobinsky.

As for this thread, there's only one significant thing off the top of my head, that hasn't already been said and that's objects turning invisible.

7. Carter1234

Carter1234 Forerunner

I hear they will be adding a UNSC flyable vehicle in a Title Update or DLC.

8. Auburn

Auburn a dope soul

Other than some odd textures, I don't mind forge to be honest. The only real problem with the lack of precision tools is z-fighting and moving an object along the z-axis, but aside from that, you simply have to make steadier movements.

I dislike the magnets, though. I honestly feel like it's faster to just freehand/edit coordinates than mess around with that clunky function.

9. REMkings

REMkings BIOC

Where did you get that information? That's really interesting to hear.

10. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

I don't like that you can't slow move objects and on top of that pieces BARELY line up with coordinates. :/

Oh and they took out my favorite rock.... Why would you take out something if you are copying the rest of the pallet?

11. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Does anyone see the hideousness that is Halo 4's forge pallet? The textures/ skins, or whatever you want to call them, are all the same.

Whiteish-brown, or just white..Where's the creativity in the design of the pieces?

All 343 did was keep all the same objects, but re-skin them and make them look ****ing terrible.

And not to mention the maps we have been given to forge on...Good god..

12. Korlash

Korlash Remember Isao

Soiled it

Soiled it

Soiled it

Soiled it

Soiled it

Soiled it.

I'm calling it guys. I'm going to reforge a majority of my better maps and compare the two, then make a thread rant including them. And you will realize how Bad the Forge really is.

13. GrenadeGorilla8

GrenadeGorilla8 Forerunner

Meh. I'm disappointed with a few things but overall I'm enjoying it.

14. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

Anyone have a clue why my rocks suddenly turned black and won't turn back??? After my map was completely finished this happened.

15. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

I think the movement animation/stomping animations for the mantis were a bit sloppy, also, it doesn't show any signs of damage until it's ready to explode.

16. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Talented

As someone else said, I'm super miffed you can't zoom in with the monitor. Why? Why would this be removed? That and precision editing being removed is silly. Not all of us want to be able to throw our maps together in 2 hours. I enjoy spending the time to make sure everything is lined up perfectly, and that's hard to do now.

Also, why the hell did they remove the rock arch?

17. SilentJacket

SilentJacket Forerunner

can anyone else see the noise the monitor makes getting annoying really fast

at least in reach, it was a soft, easily ignorable jingle, but now it sounds like you have a jet turbine behind you at all times

18. Zombievillan

Zombievillan Ancient

At least the wall double is usable now, lol

19. Korlash

Korlash Remember Isao

I have to say they are just ****ing idiots.

It's hard to move a coliseum wall somewhere precisely because everything else is just tiny (considering the camera snaps to a distance to where you can see the entire all).

I clearly don't understand 343. Their priorities are so screwed up that they take away feature after feature (Can't drop the flag, Can't remove Sprint, Can't change instant respawn, etc.). It annoys the hell out of me. They seriously don't know what they're doing.

20. Dax

Dax Mhmm.

Let's not blame 343 for everything here. I vaguely remember something about certain affinity being in charge of the new forge