Anyone Else Angry?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Naughty Badger, Aug 31, 2011.

?

Should Forge 3.0 Kick Ass?

Poll closed Sep 14, 2011.
  1. Yes, like Far Cry 2's map editor

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  2. No, it is fine now

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Maybe just a couple small fixes

20 vote(s)
    64.5%
  1. Naughty Badger

Naughty Badger Forerunner

I don't know about anyone else, but I am gonna be pissed if Forge 3.0 doesn't have ridiculous new features. I do not want to hear any whining about how hard it is to make a good map editing system or anything, if you wanna say that, check out this video (the link isn't perfect, so click the words Far Cry 2- Map Editor or whatever in the top left!)

Sexy Map Editor - Youtube

If they can do that, then Forge 3.0 could at least have some better maps/options.
    Feel free to discuss.

#1 Naughty Badger, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  2. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

Yes, I am very angry about something that hasn't and likely won't ever happen! Lets riot!!!

3. MockKnizzle008

MockKnizzle008 Ancient

4. iTz Longshot

iTz Longshot Ancient

Im cool with what we have...but something around that would be amazing. probably wont happen.

/rage

5. Noxiw

Noxiw Ancient

It's due to filesizes. Forge as is can be uploaded in text files. 100% custom maps would have MUCH larger file sizes--something that would take up an overwhelming amount of space for 343 to cater to if the fileshare system is kept intact.

Also, no I am not angry.

#5 Noxiw, Aug 31, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  6. Naughty Badger

@Reflex Ion- chill out, I was just saying that forge could be better
    @Nowix- thanks for being cool and just saying what yiu neede to say instead of bumping yourself with a post like

7. Skisma

Skisma Creative Force

I hope forge never gets this flexible. It would be taking it too far; kind of how armor abilities took it too far. All we really need in H4 forge is an improved framerate system, a few new small features, and more than one "forge world". Possible just one UNSC themed forgeworld, one Covenant themed forgeworld, and a Forerunner themed forgeworld. This would allow for more diversity in maps.

8. Naughty Badger

See, my mind has gone to sort of agree with you Skisma, because you put up a compelling and reasonable argument as well as provided examples. You do things right sir, and fir that I salute you!

9. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

I think you're missing the point of Forge. It's a map editor and its simplicity is the beauty of it. Since it's a map editor, you don't need to take the time to download a map before joining a game as all the game needs to do is rearrange pieces on the map. That's what makes Far Cry 2's level creator so flawed. You could download and load up a map in Forge World in less than half the time it takes to even download a map for Far Cry 2.

Forge's simplicity also makes it more accessible, which is better as a whole since most people don't want to invest the time in learning every single mechanic of a level creator and just want to build things. Forge allows you to pick it up and learn the basics in about 20 minutes.

Why yes, I think Forge can be improved, I don't think it needs to be a full blown PC grade map maker. That would be a huge step down in comparison. Especially for a game on a console.

10. Naughty Badger

I have changed my mind, Scobra has convinced me, good job! Although I have to ask, what is your avatar? Is it your arm, leg, or what? I must know!

11. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

It's a picture of a man and a woman with tattoos wrestling. Nothing more. They are definitely not having intercourse or making out in the nude. I don't know who those two people are as I just found it randomly online one day but I can assure you it's definitely not me.

Oh, and you're welcome for convincing you, I guess.

12. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

I'm game!

Is this for real? If it is, then perhaps it is time for me to switch games...

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

From the video, i dont see how you can make this claim. There are a lot of people that had trouble figuring out how to forge reach. Some are still confused.

What I got from the video is that we won't be limited to a small palette of objects that are gray. So many people would love to make structures that are simply not possible now, because the palette is so "simple".

I want to see it and try it out myself before I pass judgment. It looks nice.

And the difference between the canvas and the map is the objects you place on the canvas. The canvas takes a while to load. The map is nearly instant.

#12 MrGreenWithAGun, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  13. availablemoth

availablemoth Forerunner

Overall I believe that it is fine the way it is. I think what makes forge so good is that it is simple. If you want to make a good map then you have to think about how you are going to use the pieces that are given to you. I think it is much harder, and more rewarding, to make a good map in halo than in far cry. The reason is simple. In Far Cry you can manipulate almost everything, yet halo forge forces you to be very creative with what you are given. Really the only thing I believe that needs to be changed are minor things like texures. Just my own thoughts though.

14. pyro

pyro The Joker

At first I read this as "Anyone Else Hungry?
    I guess that's what I get for not sleeping enough.

nonspam:
    No.
    Fix rotation snap and I'd be happy.
    Simplify objects to eliminate disco and framerate problems and I'd love 343.
    Allow fine (.01) coordinates adjustement with the other joystick and I would fly to wherever they are to hug them.

tldr:
    as many people have said it's fine as is. just a few bugs bungie missed.

15. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

I agree 100% on the point about how the files work as a version of an existing map (ie. Forge World) being why it's so successful. Not only does it make it quicker to download, this more importantly means that you can play a map you've never downloaded yourself, either in someone else's custom lobby or in MM. Testing would be horrible with forge maps being a whole new map file, or rather it'd barely ever happen, you wouldn't be able to just show your friends something that you'd found really easily, and putting custom content in to MM would (I imagine) be really difficult. How they worked Forge is incredibly clever, and I think this aspect of quick, easy sharing and potential to be exposed to new content is even more important in how well Forge has done than the accessibility of the tool itself (though I do obviously agree that this is a big part of it).

Though I do sometimes wish there was a way to please both ends of the spectrum, or even just one for each. If you've seen what people did with the HEK for PC, I'm sure you'd agree that it's not simply a case of more advanced editing being a step down, but having the best of both worlds being what would bring the most benefit. Even Halo CE on console shows this, I've got some fantastic user made maps for CE on my original Xbox. If we could have Forge as it stands now and a fully fledged map creator for user created content to stand on a par with DLC maps, it'd be amazing. Totally unreasonable request, but it'd still be amazing.

16. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

So...since the thread starter has changed his mind...and this thread has turned into a thread that 3 other threads are about...can this be locked now?

17. MrGreenWithAGun

MrGreenWithAGun Forerunner

As I mentioned before, there is a difference between the canvas and the map. You are talking about the map on the canvas. I suspect they also would only require maps to be downloaded and the canvas already on the game system.

Does anyone know if FC2 also uses maps on canvas or do you have to download the entire canvas?

Well, I can't stop them from locking the thread, but I don't see why they would. It is a lively discussion.

18. Carter1234

Carter1234 Forerunner

You see, I ****ing hate when people ask for LESS other than MORE. If you only wanted a few new things, why won't they just do a title update for Reach? A new Halo game should actually be a new game instead of a little bit better graphics system and a little new features (AKA Halo Anniversary) and then slap a $60 price tag on it. When I invest in a new game, I want to see a whole new game, not the same recycled concept with only 4 or 5 things edited?

My rule for buying recycled things:

Insanity, is defined as doing the same thing, over and over and over again, and expecting a different result.

That. Is. Crazy.

19. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

What I'm mainly referring to is the simple act of moving, placing, and generally creating new geometry. It's much more difficult to do in Far Cry 2 compared to Reach. Things like spawn systems are indeed complex and I, and a lot of people, still don't fully understand them (though you're guide did help in giving me a lot of insight on the matter.)

Simplicity can be bliss. Making a complex and beautiful set of structures out of whats essentially just a bunch of gray blocks feels much more gratifying to me. This is why I appreciate Sandbox so much so over Forge World as those pieces were even more simple than the ones we have now, but they allowed just as many unique possibilities when using the right mindset coupled with a healthy dose of human creativity.

In FC2, you start out with a blank slate that allows you to manipulate the terrain however you like. You're tools are also way more complex than necessary on console, especially when you have the limits of a controller. When you're downloading a map, you're downloading everything from the terrain to the object placement so it takes a while. In Forge, you're just downloading a rearrangement of pieces. The beauty of Forge though is you don't NEED to download the map to your hard drive to play it, unlike in FC2 where you must.

EDIT

A little off topic, but people have been asking for a CE remake for a long time. The reason it's just the same game with a better graphics engine (actually, it has two graphics engines running at the same time) and new features like skulls and online co-op is because of demand. Besides, no one is forcing you to invest $40 on a remake.

#19 Scobra, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  20. Jakisthe

Jakisthe Forerunner

Some easy changes which I dont imagine would be -that- massive

-Fix the moronic angling system
    -an undo button
    -a resize button
    -more than just Forerunner pieces
    -an option to move pieces 1/0.1/0.01 at a time, as opposed to just the 1/0.1 we have now.
    -have a light/dark setting instead of us having to disco for some odd value
    -a "what does this setting/object do" button

Everything besides the resize, I'd think, wouldn't be that big on the filesizes. Even that might not be so bad, since it's just a ratio value to be adjusted...

Of course, it could very, VERY easily be improved beyond that, but my limited knowledge of computers doesnt allow me to, say, ask for piece by piece boolean editing or corner manipulation. But my god...just imagine...