MLG Amalgam

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by SecretSchnitzel, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

When I played this, it felt basically like Guardian with a floor under it. It was actually very enjoyable though, and I would have thought it deserved a higher score. Ah well, that's what you get when Stevo joins the review hub.

2. PacMonster1

PacMonster1 Senior Member

Technically 3 people wrote this review lol...Also since originality is not weighted it has minor impact on the final score. Had you got a 10 in that your score would have only improved by .8

Psycho...the middle of guardian has a floor under it...

#82 PacMonster1, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  3. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Believe it or not, the score reflects the opinion of everyone who has rated the map at the moment as it gets a score of 6.2 by average of people who rated the map.

But, I didn't know that before I gave it my scores. It just isn't as visually appealing as it could have been and there's nothing new or original about the map as it's essentially two maps made into one.

If anything, it's a great score to have as an MLG map that's taken inspiration from other maps. If you disregard the Aesthetics and Originality sections it scores 55/75 which gives a rating of around 7.3.

Oh and I'm not a "member" of the RH... I just like to help them out when they hit rock bottom so we can keep a rivalry going ;)

4. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Yep, and that's a damn fine rating. As for the other sections, like you say, most MLG maps chuck aesthetics out the window except for trying to make sure everything is smooth and not messy; and this map came into the world very honestly named Amalgam. It's all about gameplay. And for gameplay alone, it's a very fun map.

5. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump

Actually, contrary to popular belief, the MLG community is really pushing aesthetics lately. You should check out some of the stuff coming outa Sethiroth and Solo for instance. And my latest goodie also is fairly aesthetically pleasing too. ;)
    Anyhow, I'm real happy you guys took the time to review it. And glad you enjoyed it too.

6. Zlayer VII

Zlayer VII Forerunner

Why is this map so popular? it doesnt seem all that special to me.

7. Matty the IV

Matty the IV Forerunner

Another classic MLG map that has captured the spirit of an old favourite. Very nice work again!

8. SecretSchnitzel

It's not that popular. It struck gold with a small niche of players, but thats about it.
    As far as "special" goes, its one of the few asym maps out there that capture the fast action arena style game play of MLG while promoting dynamic team set ups and emphasizing map control. Essentially, it plays like a more free flowing guardian.

9. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

The only time that there's something wrong with aesthetics is when gameplay suffers because of it. Aesthetics are completely fine as long as you don't go overboard with them. Plus, they also have many uses to improve the gameplay of a map. For example, they can help point the player in the right direction. From my experiences, the MLG community was never completely against having aesthetics.

#89 4shot, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  10. SecretSchnitzel

Sooooo I'll be getting my xbox again within a month or so, as well as renewing my long expired gold account. Been thinking of revisiting this map... Or at least the ideas behind this map. Any suggestions for a future iteration of Amalgam?

11. Psychoduck

Psychoduck Spartan II
    343 Industries Cartographer Forge Critic Senior Member

Schnitzel! Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy. I don't have any suggestions for revisiting Amalgam off the top of my head, I'm just glad you're coming back finally!

12. WALDO the lemon

WALDO the lemon Legendary

Welcome back, I don't have any ideas off the top of my head but I'll make sure to add you again.

13. Hulter

Hulter ^Raindear

Get rid of the 4x4 floor for that curved area.

Good to hear you're coming back.

14. SecretSchnitzel

I've got a few ideas for the map, just its more of a complete redesign of the thing. Still looking for a gold account btw. I'm a poor student. :(