MLG Amalgam

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by SecretSchnitzel, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Thanks a ton man, glad you like it.
    There are still some tweaks I'm throwing around. Mostly aesthetic at this point. Needless to say, there will be a V3 out in some time.

#41 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  2. DWeight

DWeight Forerunner

I've only a chance to play this 2v2 and am looking forward to 4v4 on this map.

The layout is nice and navigating it is very easy. I can tell that a lot of thought and tweaking went in to heights and distances, insuring that jumps can be achieved. Also the size of the map and layout of obstructions should discourage campers. Once familiar with the layout, your never far from a quick escape or quickly reaching an advantageous position. There are elements of this map that play similar to some of my favorites going all the way back to Halo CE.

Well done.

#42 DWeight, Dec 21, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2010
  3. Proximo

Proximo Forerunner

Saw this in the favorites voting thingy. This map likes a little small. I don't have many friends on reach so I can't play it either. I'm not saying its bad, but it does look tiny and really open.

4. Nyte

Nyte Forerunner

well sir although it does look like that, it has a lot of cover that is useful and not just thrown down so its like hey guise look at this block that you can hide behind when your getting shot at derp da derp.

it plays hella good and with his improvements that he made, i can most def see this on the circuit

5. SecretSchnitzel

No so much cover really, but the map's geometry breaks up line of sight, thus creating the safe virtual effect. Just better presentation really. Elevation change, walls, floors, aethetic towers.... they all serve a similar purpose in this aspect.

@Dwight: Glad you enjoyed it man. Maybe we'll get the chance to game sometime.
    Careful with the quick escape routes though... Might just be leaping out of the frying pan and into the fire. ;)

#45 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 22, 2010
  6. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

I'm afraid your quite wrong there. Its about the same size as Guardian. And Guardian is one of the best playing maps of all time, In my opinion. The walkway cover tower provides immense amounts of cover. And gold and blue, being walled in, provides even more cover. S3 And Evade Spawn need to be open, or they would be monsterously overpowered.

All I can say is that he did AMAZING on this map. Near flawless, I can easily see it making the Circuit. But, if I may ask, will it be in the MLG playlist in MM, if it makes it into the circuit, then? I'd love to rape some kiddies who don't know the map there :)

#46 Erupt, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  7. SecretSchnitzel

I've heard some rumors about the forge maps that make V3 not making MM, which would be stupid. Something to do with Bungie or Microsoft being jerks about it... Not entirely sure, hope its just rumors. Soooo, if id does make it then it should go into MM as well. We'll see. I think Ladnil's new one has a solid chance as well.

#47 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 22, 2010
  8. Proximo

Proximo Forerunner

I looked at it in Forge today and saw it is the size of a grid. That is a good size right? I want to make a map that is non-symmetrical like this one and thought it would be good to ask.
    Sorry I said the map was small. It looks small at first but I was wrong.

9. Bleuprint

Bleuprint Forerunner

Grid would be a good size to approximate but all depends on what you want. I can totally see why you thought this map would be too small for 4v4 as I thought the same at first. It's almost an illusion even when running around it. Before I ever played a custom I questioned the size and when I finally played it, for me, its perfect.

I do hope to see this on circuit, also agree with you Schnitz on Ladnil's chances as well..hope we see more than 1 imo.

10. SecretSchnitzel

Bleu's right here. If the map is "open" in the sense that your on a flat plane with multiple levels, a grid is more the sufficient in size. If the map is linear and cat-walk based it may prove too small depending on how many paths you have available.

#50 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 23, 2010
  11. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

Could you link me to Ladnil's new map? Also, Bleu, Snit I'm looking to run customs... I will have my mic and no lag. :) I have a 4v4 that's ready and I'm confident in its gameplay.

12. SecretSchnitzel

I'm about to log on and kick off some customs. Got a new map on temptest to run as well for those who are down. ;)
    Keep in mind, its early morning and I'm slightly drunk. :O

#52 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 23, 2010
  13. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

Well. I got crap about my voice halfway through the first game. Soo my mic is staying offf.. oh well.. its mostly just my crappy mic though.

14. Adelyss

Adelyss Hotdishhh

Keep the topic about the map guys...this is your warning.

15. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

It was some dude on my team in Oddball. I don't know.

ANYWAYS, OT: I think the drop from S3/S2 should be a little more difficult. It seems overpowered (that word isn't being used correctly here, but you know what I mean.) in Oddball. Too easy to go up the lift, then drop back down. No one can ever really get you. I mean, my team was getting wrecked and I managed to have the ball for a good 30 seconds doing that before Nyte took my head off.

Maybe it should be like the one in Guardian from mid to bottom mid? I don't know, it's just my opinion, I think that it's too easily executed.

I feel like I'm trying extremely hard to come up with any problems with this map. It's extremely difficult. Sorry if it feels like I'm just giving you a hard time. ^^

Sorry, it won't happen again.

#55 Erupt, Dec 24, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2010
  16. SecretSchnitzel

I recieved two complains today from one of the MLG guys... One is that blue room is over powered. I'm obviously going to throw that concept out of the window as blue room has four different approaches to it and offers even less reason to camp that the blue room from Guardian. The other complaint was that S3 is too open, also from the same guy. I've added some short railings to S3 which help break LoS and provide cover if the player steps back towards the lift. It also requires the player to jump now to fall to the S1 landing, which solves your issue as well.
    I've also removed the shotgun from Oddball game play as apparently its too strong for a team with the ball to hold. :p

Not too sure what the Guardian "mid to bottom mid" concept your talking about btw...

Should have a V3 nearing release status within a couple weeks... Depends on feed back from Killa KC (if chosen by MLG) and feed back from The Lan Network as well.

#56 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 26, 2010
  17. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

Um, ok you know where you drop off from Sniper spawn into top mid? From the railing right below snipe spawn you can drop to the walkway between bottom mid to the sniper tower, it's a very hard drop, for me at least.

#57 Erupt, Dec 27, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  18. SecretSchnitzel

Oh! That drop. Dude, that's even harder than the top mid to S1 catwalk jump. I've never seen it even done in a game... It's really not a useful jump I think.
    Anyhow, with the addition of railings, S3 now catches grenades easier and the player has to "jump" to take the drop down now.

#58 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 28, 2010
  19. SpecterCody

SpecterCody Ancient

Very nice layout, it would work well for a 2v2 or a 3v3 I would think. Just fyi I found a tiny instance of z-fighting, stand in the center of the map and look up through the hole facing south and you will see it.

20. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

Meh, I always did that drop at the beginning of the game and manslaughtered everyone, lol. It was good to come up behind people or, in normal Guardian, get the sniper if you were Blue.

And hopefully those railings do help gameplay. I'd hate to see the map get worse because some MLG guy said to put more cover up there...

#60 Erupt, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010