MLG Amalgam

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by SecretSchnitzel, Dec 8, 2010.

1. SecretSchnitzel

SecretSchnitzel Donald Trump
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Amalgam is currently in it's polished and simplified state for submission to MLG and Bungie. Much of the maps geometry has been simplified in order to cut down on possible frame rate lag in split screen, and fortunately this has no impacted the map's aesthetics in a noticeable manner. It anything, Amalgam now looks much cleaner and far more professional. Mad thanks to Col Keller for setting the flooring for me.

[​IMG][/url]

Gametypes:
    Oddball
    Territories
    Slayer

Weapons and Equipment:
    Sniper x1 (118s Drop Spawn)
    Needle Rifle x4 (60s)
    DMR x4 (10s)
    Magnum x2 (60s)
    Shot Gun x1 (90s)*
    Plasma Pistol x2 (90s)
    Frags x4 (30s)
    Stickies x4 (30s)
    Health Packs x2 (30s)**
    Evade x1 (1s)
    * Shotty spawns in all game types except Ball.
    ** Medpacks located near Ball Spawn ramp(wall of middle structure) and on the Gold strut opposite side of the map.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Amalgam is an asymmetrical arena map designed specifically with MLG Ball and MLG Territories in mind. It was built for MLG's second map submission contest. The map features a dynamic spawn system as well as brutal and fast paced game play. The finely crafter lines of sight force players to always keep their head on a swivel lest they be taken by surprise from cross map. Amalgam also features a finely tuned balance of hard cover as well as line of sight breaking geometry.
    Amalgam has several jump ups that are vary from relative ease to moderately difficult. The easiest of the Jumps is the Jump Pad found at bottom mid. While not the best choice at time, mastery of it can prove deadly. Use this jump sparingly, however, as you may be leaping from the pan and into the fire.
    There are two jumps at the front door of Gold Side. These are simple crouch jumps and should prove no problem for the casual player. There is also a small shield door lift that the player needs to jump into to use at the bottom of red side.
    The moderate jumps are the Gold Strut slide jump and the Shotty Hall slide jump. These may prove challenging to players unacquainted with basic skill jumps. The Gold Strut Jump leads to the Gold Window overlooking Red Side while the Shotty Jump leads from Shotty Hall to Blue Hall.
    The most difficult of the jumps is the S1 to Elbow jump. This jump can catch the opposing team off guard when executed correctly.

YouTube - Amalgam - Halo Reach Forged Map

Download Amalgam

#1 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  2. Nyte

Nyte Forerunner

thanks for the special recognition lol

i like this map because it feels like guardian but it feels like its better than guardian. you listened to feedback and you improved upon your design and made it a lot cleaner.

I love you =)

P.S. 4 frenzy's, 2 running riots, 1 overkill exterm, countless good times

3. Bleuprint

Bleuprint Forerunner

Huge fan of this one. We just finished up a ball game on here, I sorta got layed out a bit but love the map. Just like Nyte said, It has a Guardian feel and I think it plays better for reach.

4. CzIz

CzIz Forerunner

I really enjoyed this map.. a lot more than i expected to. My first impression when I saw this map was that it looked way too open, and i can't usually stand MLG, so my hopes weren't high. But this map really took me by surprise, because everything just worked perfectly. I could tell you had refined every single last detail of the map to get the layout just right, and you did that so well. Above everything else, it was fun.. not something I can normally say about an MLG map.

Conclusion: Needs moar interlox 2/5.

5. Erupt

Erupt Forerunner

Like everyone said. It looks like Guardian, but better for Reach. It looks a little gray at first glance, but turns out not to be. It looks like it plays very well as well. For FFA and Teams. I will dl and try it out later. Also, is it symmetrical? I can't exactly tell.

Having that said, I think this is a potential feature. And I rarely say that, I have only said that for Sequence.

6. CzIz

CzIz Forerunner

It's assymetrical, but it has a couple of symmetrical features..
    To be honest, I do find it a little too gray. There's sections that have colour, but there is also a large portion of the map that is rather gray and dull. I don't really know what you can do to change that though. Overall though, each section of the map looks unique, so there isn't any problems with orientation

7. SecretSchnitzel

Wow, thanks a ton man. Thats a massive complement to give.
    As far as FFA goes, it gets a bit wild with a party of 8, but then again, so was Midship/Heretic as well as every other MLG FFA map.

Its solid asymmetrical. The closes thing to normal symmetry on it is the center piece.
    The color options are vary limited with the palette we have ATM, and to throw in anything else for the sake of color I think would clash with the over all aesthetic of it. Fortunately we have natural lighting as its an open map, and that does a lot for it.
    Aside from that, I do have ample cover for map orientation. No matter where you look (discluding your feet), you can tell where you are and spot all the call outs.

#7 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2011
  8. Bleuprint

Bleuprint Forerunner

Good luck man, I really hope to see this in the MLG playlist. I'm already tired of the 4 maps they have up.

9. Stevo

Stevo Drunken Bantersaurus Rex

I've played this a couple of times before and through gameplay there were only 3 things I didn't like:
    • The Sniper Lift requires too much concentration to drop down the back.
    • You can't sprint to the jump pad and get through the hole in the roof, you always hit your head and land back down bottom so you HAVE to stand still on the pad which you shouldn't have to do in any game.
    • You haven't included a picture of it except in the overview, but I didn't really like Red I think... It didn't really have any use except to get up top, but the jump pad was a few seconds away anyway so it kinda made the area irrelevant. Only thing you'd need to do is essentially create a pathway (not just a jump) up to gold, so less experienced players can still get to gold quickly from red.

Other than those few minors points, I enjoyed each of the games we played. Ball was occasionally an epic nade spam fest when players took it into shotgun spawn (Why people do that I never know ¬_¬) but that's down to bad player judgement and not the map itself. The games played smoothly, the lines of sight weren't too epic and it also managed to support a hefty 5v5 on one of the occasions.

I don't recommend MLG FFA on the map, but that's just preference. I feel MLG should always be in a team environment.

Good job anyway schnitz, an all round solid map (Y)

#9 Stevo, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  10. SecretSchnitzel

Thanks Stevo!
    You'll be pleasantly surprised to find that the first two issues have been resolved in the version I released here btw. The shield doors have been pushed back slightly and the hole top center widened by two clicks in all directions. Sprinting into it will still be a challenge, but you can now run in normally without issue.
    Also the Gold Strut by the Red Side has been adjusted as a moderately easy jump up to Gold Window.
    Red Car in itself is a "moderate" power position. Its a key element for map control however has it gives advantage over the the immediate area while having line of sight modestly obscured from blue side and snipe side. And there is a health pack under it... Which tends to draw players (that know of it) to the Red Side.
    Maybe in a later release I'll have it elevated a bit.

#10 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  11. ManRayX

ManRayX Ancient

Super tight. Forgehubfavoritelicious.

Loved this map esp for oddball and mlg slayer. Thought the lifts were fine. Definete keeper. True competitive combat.

10/10

MRX

#11 ManRayX, Dec 9, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2010
  12. Antares777x

Antares777x Forerunner

This is a really good map, definitely should be a potential favorite. I can see Assembly and Guardian in this map, also with a bit of Zealot, but I think that's just me. The alternate paths allow for flanking and increase the RvR of traveling through the middle. The flow on this map and subtle height elevation changes are really thought out and impressed me. Guardian had little to no subtle height elevation changes; it had only entire elevation changes. In that way, this map resembles a nice blend of Guardian and Lockout, which had those subtle height alterations, but its design still remains mostly true to a mix of Assembly and Guardian. Really nice map in my opinion.

13. SecretSchnitzel

#13 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 9, 2010
  14. Antares777x

Antares777x Forerunner

Thanks, I try to know my stuff so that I can make good maps as well, even though my aesthetics are lacking at the moment.

I only really care about gameplay, unless the map is extremely ugly lol.

15. SecretSchnitzel

That's what I rant about all the time man. Gameplay > Aesthetics 100%. However, there are some great maps that play brilliantly, but just are ugly as hell.

#15 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 10, 2010
  16. Nyte

Nyte Forerunner

dude we need to get forging a v2 of this pretty soon, im down to help if you want some other forgers imput, and im sure most of the people who have played on it will be willing to help also.

But I NEED TO PLAY THIS MOAR! i love it <3 ha

17. 4shot

4shot Bloodgulch

This map is pretty good. Like a lot of the others, this map feels a lot like Guardian to me. But as for the sizing of the structures and the middle as well, it is more like Lockout. I have yet to find any true problems, even Z-fighting, with this map.

Definitely gonna give it an 8.6/10

18. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

had the pleasure of playing on this tonight.
    i felt like the map had a bit of a learning curve to it at first
    but it still played very well. sometimes things were a bit chaotic in the middle,
    but i dont believe that to be a fault of the map, it was just what people were doing in that particular game.

nice arena layout for sure, i liked it a lot. keepin it around.

19. SecretSchnitzel

While it captures some of the aura of Guardian and game play has some similarities, this of course is an entire new entity in itself.
    There is ZERO screen lag or Z-fighting in the map as I've made sure to avoid the use of pieces that contribute to frame rate issues such as bridge long and bridge extra long. I instead used upside down bridge mediums for the walkways extending from top center as they have no glass pieces. I also used the edit coordinates "glitch" to resolve all z-fighting prior to release.

Glad you liked it man. As with any map there will always be a learning curve for new players to it, however as this map is really easy on orientation, players learn their way around it relatively fast. I've utilized Platform XLs and Pyramids to add color to the map to help with orientation.
    As players learn the map they will start to find set ups that are crucial for map control and the game play will become less chaotic. Essentially any To4 wants to control at least two to three of the following, snipe side, blue two, red two and gold two. Once a team controls at least two of those, top center also becomes a more viable option to hold as the player has a lot more protection that is provided by their team mates.

On an off note, there have been players who upright hate this map for the most fickle or reasons. None from this forum (that I've met yet), but from the MLG Forge Forums. Its a bit of an annoyance as a few particular players refuse to look at the map as its own original entity and try to make it as either a "two base asym" or a "guardian remake". As this map is neither, such criticisms of it are unfounded and uncalled for. Just goes to show why I prefer the people of this forum over that of others I guess.

#19 SecretSchnitzel, Dec 11, 2010
  20. Bleuprint

Bleuprint Forerunner

Just finished a KOTH/Territories game on here and it played extremely well. The game was super tight all the way to the finish. Definitely recommend trying out this gametype on here. The more I play this map the more I like it, and so it goes when maps are properly made for competitive gameplay. It just doesn't get old.