Alkaline

Discussion in 'Reach Competitive Maps' started by Eightball, May 2, 2011.

1. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner
    Forge Critic Senior Member

ALKALINE

Hello and welcome to another map of mine called, Alkaline. I finshed this map awhile ago, but never got around to posting it. This map is symmetrical and has a very unique layout design. The unique hole in the center of this map give it more color and makes it brighter. I spent a lot of time testing and trying to improve the gameplay while also improving aesthetic appeal and framerate lag.

At first, there was quite a bit of framrate lag in the middle due to all of the stairs I had put in, then I realized that it had to be changed in order to have good gameplay. Sometimes sacrifices are necessary. While this sacrifice took away some aesthetic appeal it greatly heightened gamplay. Soon after making this map I met a fellow named Tom. Tom came into my map and gave me such great ideas to improve gamplay and aesthetic appeal that I was greatly appreciative of.

So I say, thank you Tom for your teriffic waterfall/fountain design, it makes this map even more unique.

That's a wrap, please download comment and be sure to leave feedback if you get a chance to play on this beast.

Thanks to all of the testers:
    TOMisHIGH
    JGarb
    Manicks
    Matty The IV
    Relaxin Guy
    Zeke
    timmypanic

And many more...Thanks again.
    WEAPONS:
    x4 Plasma Grenades
    x2 DMR
    x1 Energy Sword (Respawn: 115)
    x2 Needler
    x2 Needle Rifle
    x2 Health Packs
    SCREENSHOTS:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Red Spawn.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Blue Spawn.
    [​IMG]
    The middle of the map.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Top Middle.

#1 Eightball, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011
  2. TitanC005

TitanC005 Forerunner

This is definitely one of the better indoor arena maps I've seen. Great layout, and great aesthetic cohesion throughout the map. There's also something to be said about your minimalist weapon selection. A lot of people will throw weapons onto their maps for the sake of having weapons. Limiting it to simply DMRs, Needle Rifles, Needlers, and a Sword was an interesting choice. I'm particularly interested in your decision to include the Needler. It often goes neglected, so I'm glad it's featured here on a map where it will be useful.

Beautiful open roof, too. Great job, Eightball!

3. Matty the IV

Matty the IV Forerunner

Another work of art by Eightball. Yet again you have captured an amazing courtyard style. I especially love the centrepieces that you constantly come up with, how do you do it mate?

Overall i will have to say that Alkaline was a blast to test and the sword has the right amount of power on the map. No place in the map seemed too overpowered and the weapon choice was great.

9/10 - Phenomenal map but too small for 4v4 =[

P.S "I'm not gay!!"

YouTube - Your gay!

4. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Thanks man. I really tried to minimize the weapons, because I feel it balances maps out better. Too many weapons can make things complicated. Open roof-closed roof, it's a mix. thanks for the comment.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

I also think that this map has the right weapons and they aren't overpowered. As for the centerpiece, it's simple but yet elegant, I usually just throw things together and see what looks good. Thanks for the comment, I'm glad you like it.

#4 Eightball, May 2, 2011
  5. Arctic Hunter

Arctic Hunter Forerunner

Ey babe! Wow all I can say is another great creation by Eightball. The map looks so smooth and the aesthetics looks great. I could imagen playing on this map in the future and I hope it will be enjoyable as I think itll be. Oh wait, I know itll be fun. Just looking at all of the detail, the layout and just every minute you put into this makes it look amazing. My only concern is the middle of the map where the sword is located. I imagen that you could have made the piece it is standing on a little more creative but hey it wont effect the gameplay. Great map Eightball and well done!

6. raptororieon

raptororieon Forerunner

Eightball :) You have done it again! This map is amazing just like the other maps you have made! I really like the pool in the middle and the waterfall :D Can't really get a view where everything is and how the areas in the pictures connect :S but hey! Screw that i'm downloading it and i have to find out! Great job again Eightball!!

7. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Thanks rapt, I'm glad you like it. I didn't post an overview of the map because it's kind of complicated so I din't want to confuse people with it. The layout is simple to understand, just the way I like it. Anyways, thanks for the comment, let me know how it plays.

8. Minister Muffin

Minister Muffin Forerunner

I could tell it was your map when I had a first glance at all the pictures because you have an even and simple gameplay like you do in all your maps, which is really cool, and it has great aesthetics, which makes it even more awesome! Just one question: Are there kill boundaries just above the center area? If there aren't, you might want to put one up there just in case a person tries to fly up there to get out of the map. Even if it is too high for the jet pack, you still might want to put one there just in case someone finds out how to get out. I really do think it's amazing how you make your stairs with the 3 by 3 short blocks. I'd never thought of that! I noticed in your other maps you have it, as well. You must really like that trick! I do think it would be a little small for 4v4, but 3v3 or 2v2 could probably work, even though it may be cramped to have 6 people running around trying to shoot each other like maniacs. Great map, as always!

9. SquidMan33

SquidMan33 Forerunner

You really just continue to whip this maps out like nothing! I'll keep it short; Small and neat and a smooth courtyard. I would have to say that this is not your most creative, but it is forged great. I look forward to viewing more of your maps.

You got a DL.

#9 SquidMan33, May 2, 2011
  10. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Thanks a lot dude. I'm pretty sure there's a kill zone up there, but if not, it doesn't really matter seeing as you download the map to actually play on it. Going outside of it would be pointless and no fun. Also, this map seems kind of small from the pics, but when you play on it you will realize it's actually not as small as it appears. Thanks for the comments.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

Yeahhh, it's not my MOST creative map, but I feel I've added quite a few unique touches to this map that give it a nice aesthetic feel. Thanks for the comments; I've a few more maps coming out sometime soon, so keep an eye out.

#10 Eightball, May 2, 2011
  11. anime halo

anime halo Forerunner

Looks like a good map from the center for aesthetics with the map featuring a nice look up at the sky and a nice little foutain to add. I might be wrong but it seems as if the map has influence from the Halo 3 maps for I similarities in the map that would match that of the Halo 3 maps. Even with these nice aesthetic features you have it does not elimante the fact that the map is very small and for that reason has less gameplay avaible to the map compared to other maps. With that figured out I would suggest using the remaining budget to add to the map a little but if you cant do it and keep the aesthetics in the map constant I would suggest that you just keep the map the same to ensure the map looks proffesional and keeps its good gameplay constant. Overall nice map as always with nice aesthetics but you might be able to add to it to increase the gameplay of the map.

12. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Well, I like forging smaller maps for more intense gameplay. For some odd reason, the map had slight framerate problems and adding anything else would only make it impossible to play on. When I tested this map the gameplay was constant and the action was intense, so I don't think gameplay would be a problem. I appreciate the comment though, you make a good point.

13. Ociee

Ociee Forerunner

I really like the simple aesthetics of this map - simple yet extremely beautiful.
    I know I've played a betrayal-fest game of this and even that was fun so an actual slayer game on the finished map must be completely awesome! Your really establishing a reputation here on FH for making such beautiful and solid maps, keep em' comin'

:D

14. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Thanks man, I really try to make good maps, even though this one isn't that popular I'm hoping my next ones will be better. You should add me on XBL, so I can show you my projects. I could also use some testers on my new maps. Gamertag is iTz EightBall.

15. Noble T0M

Noble T0M Forerunner

This map is off tha chain! I realy think you should submit this for mlg. It has a great feel to it : ) props

i give it 5/5

16. AtlasIsShruggin

AtlasIsShruggin Forerunner

This is easily your best yet. The roof reminds me of faith a lot and I love it! I also like the call to keep the weapons limited your maps have a lot of detail and the less explosions going off helps with lag but also makes the smaller maps you excel at a lot more skill based. Excellent job, and you've created yet another map that won't ever lead my harddrive!

-Atlas

17. DukesQuietMan

DukesQuietMan Forerunner

Wow, i really like this map. The circular nature of it is something you don't see much of in the game and there should be a whole lot more of. I really like the roof and the water below it. But most of all I like the simplicity of it.

Great Job!

18. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Thanks guys I'm glad you like it. I tried not to make this at all similar to Faith with the roof, but if I took out the aesthetic design, it would look plain and boring. If anyone gets a chance to play on it please let me know how it plays. Thanks again.

19. timmypanic

timmypanic Forerunner

Hello, awesome map man, appreciate the sneak peek before post, we had a blast testing, had a good lay out, plenty of cover, more suited to close quarter combat that I prefer in competitive maps. You are always making nice competitive maps with a fine balance of aesthetics, inclines and competitive lay out. I like the center piece and it can get you out of trouble adding to gameplay. I liked the weapon selection and placement, also plenty of health in useful places, great work!

20. Eightball

Eightball Forerunner

Thanks Timmy. I usually try to go with a simple, effective weapon layout. I personally don't like when there are too many weapons on a map. I also like making maps with simple to understand layouts. Thanks for help with the testing and I'm glad you enjoyed the map. Thanks for the feedback.