Air Raid: Gunship vs. Carrier

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Competitive Maps' started by JackalAnubis, May 17, 2008.

1. d3adly ninja

d3adly ninja Ancient

ill deff dl and try looks very good. like the ships the best.

#21 d3adly ninja, May 17, 2008
    Last edited: May 17, 2008
  2. rynplng

rynplng Ancient

great job looks amazing
    especially like the airstrip

3. De5troy999

De5troy999 Ancient

Nice map dude!!!

4. LXV Grizzly

LXV Grizzly Ancient

looks really fun, id love to play it sometime!

5. Dark Minja

Dark Minja Ancient

wow, looks really cool, i would DL if i had the new maps :p, i'll give it a good rating and a bump on the bungie forums though

6. Tex

Tex Ancient

this looks really fun, im sure you had a hard time deciding whether or not putting this in aesthetic or competitive, or even casual, but ya, this was a good choice, it looks like a semi-serious, but completely fun game for competitive play-styles, just curious, how much play testing did you do? because something like this is a completely different concept of halo, that takes halo to a new level, and so should be play-tested thoroughly, GREAT job, and keep up the good work

7. JackalAnubis

JackalAnubis Ancient

Lol, well I feel like I definately did not test it enough. The problem I have is that my connection is so bad, it makes it VERY difficult for me to convince anyone to play my custom game. No one wants to play if your bars are dipping in the red and your voice is choppy.

I think I played it a few times on territories. During one of my largest games it felt like it was working in the manner I wanted. Which was a big focus on strafing runs of the gunship, relentless bombardment on the dig site, and some crazy close combat in the ship itself.

I envisioned this map to be played with a full 16. That means in theory you could have 4 people working the wraiths, 2 on the prowlers, and 2 more working the small turrents (or some other combination since there's about 11 turrent positions not even included personal weapons. Basically I wanted the people flying into the gunship to feel like they were attacking a star destroyer or something with all the bullets flying at them.

So I was hoping the people that download would be able to give me a heads up if things were wonky, but I haven't gotten many bug reports yet.

8. ImI METAL ImI

ImI METAL ImI Ancient

Dude, sick! This looks like an amazingly well-put together map you have there. Also looks like it would be crazy fun. Awesome job man!

9. Tex

Tex Ancient

i see, i feel bad that u made a map for 16 and had like no chance to test due to lag issues, that is really disappointing, it's not even about the testing, i am sure you simply would've liked one game with 16 people on there, it looks like it could be a hell of alot of fun...and good luck with all future maps...

10. David 118

David 118 Ancient

This is sweet i mean ive seen some good ship maps on avalanche but this has two!!! The wraiths on the gunship are also really cool especially because thet can swivel!

11. JackalAnubis

JackalAnubis Ancient

yah it's pretty frustrating. I figureed I could either wait a month until I moved out to test it better online, or just release it with what I had and let people enjoy the map for better or worse.

I was really hoping someone would send a pic in or something of a crazy battle with 16 people, but I've barely gotten any feedback at all, which is weird because over 600 people have downloaded the map since yesterday.

12. Citizen Snips

Citizen Snips Ancient

This looks great
    It must have taken a fantastic amount of patience and skill.
    Well done.

13. Chaotic Wade

Chaotic Wade Ancient

Great

I liked testing this with u JackalAnubis, another great map!

14. Chaotic Wade

Chaotic Wade Ancient

Just use normal territories. That is wut it is used for

15. JackalAnubis

JackalAnubis Ancient

thanks for helping to me test chaotic, despite all my laggy shenanigans

oh and yah, I didn't make a specific custom gametype for this. I just tried to make it work with standard rules. feel free to come up with something custom though if you think it will be fun

16. overthehodge

overthehodge Ancient

this is the best map ever made, screw that kentucky tango this beats that, IMMENSE!

17. duff himself

duff himself Ancient

Very cool map. I only did a quick forge through but it seemed like it would be a lot of fun. I saw a lot of spawns on the ground which I'm guessing is for territories. I haven't tested it out yet but that might not be as fun on a flag game. I have a few more questions but prob only playing a game will answer them. I will try to get a game going and see how it turns out. Nice job!

18. TheGreatHibiki

TheGreatHibiki Ancient

I played at first a large game 8v8 CTF but as time progressed people got bored due to the gunship has TOO many weapons and the carrier not enough. Not to mention the strength of the aircraft compared to everything but a boosting chopper and the warthog.

The game went on 2 hours, hense why I will not give a link to any video, both sides locked in constant combat, flags getting ten feet from the goal then getting stopped by the enemy. teams arming up and running full mill just to have the flag respwn as they got to it and killed the enemy gaurding it.

Nearly constantly the carrier team was sending banshee's and hornets as quickly as they respawned, most destroyed or taken over. No one really payed any mind to the human base between them unless it was to pick up a quick ride then charge the carrier. The carrier only had shotguns a few BRs and a rocket launcher to defend and as we quickly found out if you don't blow up the banshees as you run over to get the flag you'll quickly be swarmed by attacking forces that will pin you down or ditch the banshee's to get the now unprotected flag.

Possible ways to make better:
    A missle pod on the carrier side would be nice along with SMGs and other close range weapons. Also the fuel rod is just way too damn strong inside the gunship. anything else was okay but two shot kills at medium range from a camping fuel rod killed any of the (would-be) flag carriers. I suppose this off sets the twin shotguns but frankly the amount of weapons on the gunship compared to carrier are insane, not to mention there are both a hammer and a sword that compare to the damage the shotguns delivers.

perhaps if you put the choppers where they can launch off the top of the gunship and increase the guns on the carrier it would be more fair.

As it was most players bitched then left till only a sad 4v4 game was left. That still took another hour.

However I have always liked this map. gameplay was sadly 2/5, looks 5/5, easily reached bases 2.5/5 (On foot was nearly impossible to get back in either ships, grav lifts worked half the time you usually fell short) creativity 5/5, backstory 5/5, weapons layout 2/5. Overall 3.5/5.

19. DxHydra

DxHydra Ancient

this looks like the BEST ships i have ever seen and the enterior looks sooo smooth im DL'n for sure

20. ManRayX

ManRayX Ancient

jackal thanks for the hook up to dl this map. i guess i know why the other guy is banned. thanks again