Aggression / The Wall

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by robbie2705, Nov 16, 2010.

1. robbie2705

robbie2705 Forerunner

Presenting: "Aggression", developed over several months as "The Wall." It was developed for open symmetrical game play and objectives, as well a such as Asymmetric assaults including One Bomb, One Flag, and Invasion. It uses the Island section of Forgeworld, and was inspired by reversing the Interior / Exterior volumes of Sidewinder. For Invasion it makes limited use of the Coastline section of the map.

Initial Beta Testing

I'll be testing the map with larger groups on Sunday, November 20th in the afternoon. Expected time of 2:00 PM Mountain (3 Pacific and 12 Atlantic, GMT -7). ANYONE IS WELCOME. The map has already been soft tested for compatibility and function, and playing on the map this weekend just be for balance and fun. Credit will be given to all whom help, especially those with comments and suggestions.

You can find me by my Screen Name or Gamertag on XBL, "Robbie2705". Hope to see you this weekend!

Summary and Tour:

[​IMG]

Orange Base gives the map it's development namesake. It models a massive Forerunner facility used to teleports large strike groups into combat. Though long inactive, the facility still sports a smaller teleportation grid that can be used to access the primary objective of the map, or to gain stronger weapons for attacking the opposing team. Along with a smaller base accessed through the Island's tunnel, the base divides the map between the Red and Blue bases that are perpendicular to the Wall's spine.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Wall is divided into two section, with a ramp bisecting the middle to allow for vehicles to traverse the symmetrical halves of the map. A network of tunnels and ramps also allows the offensive team to crawl towards the objective from below n asymmetric objective games. Power weapons like shotguns, a missile launcher, and a focus rifle can be well used in symmetrical game types.

[​IMG]

A smaller structure serves as the base for the attacking team in asymmetrical objective games, as well as the objective in the first phase of Invasion. Multiple natural paths around the structure keep the action interesting and fast paced, but one wrong jump or unlucky grenade can lead to one drowning in the channel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Blood Gulch / Hemorrhage bases that everyone knows and loves are present for symmetrical games. Familiar vehicles and weapons add to the fun, but shorter distance than those present in the canyon change up the gameplay. It's easy to become focused on killing the enemy in one part of the map, only to have another group slip right by the carnage.

Game Types:

The map was designed for the following gametypes: Symmetrical and Asymmetrical Capture The Flag, Assault, Slayer, Headhunter and King of the Hill. Using the Beachead and several additional objects and vehicles, the map supports Invasion. Stockpile or Territories is a possibility, but I only have the resources for one without deleting spawns, and I am currently undecided.

Depending on the mode, the map has the Missile Launcher, Shotgun, Focus Rifle, Grenade Launcher, and Sniper Rifle available as Power Weapons. Numerous small arms, assault weapons, grenades and scoped rifles are scattered across the map. Each base as access to a pair of Mongeese, a Warthog, and a Ghost. In Invasion, a pair of Ghosts, Warthogs (1 Gauss), and Mongeese are present, in addition to a single Banshee.

2. cluto

cluto Forerunner

I don't know why no one has commented on your map yet, because I honestly think it looks awesome. I'm probably bias though because the Wall structure isn't too different in shape from the main structure in my map. Your forge work looks really solid though; structures are both interesting and clean. Really nice job.

From your description and pictures it looks like the only way up to the Wall is by tunnel access or by teleporter (?), and I would imagine most traffic would funnel in the same direction into a dead end. The rampway covers sticking out from the sides of the Wall look like they could be used as ramps up to the structure, but they're blocked at the top. I would highly recommend either using those existing pieces as alternate ways up, or forge a few additional ways up to the Wall--preferably places near the ending dish where rocket spawns.

I can't tell from the pictures, but do those barricades between the mancannons break the line of site between players standing on either side of them? I would hope not, because compartmentalization is never a good characteristic to have in a map. I would recommend long lines of site throughout the Wall with plenty of cover for players to move in between.

Overall though, really nice job. I wouldn't have commented unless I was really interested.

3. Dizzyman572

Dizzyman572 Forerunner

I agree with cluto, this map looks great. The only problem I could percieve is the shallow bridge that connects the island to the cave in the final picture.

I'm just worried about little kids taking the warthog and going off into the canyon. You probably already fixed this with a soft safe zone, in which case great job.

4. robbie2705

robbie2705 Forerunner

Thank you for the comments gentlemen! I was afraid that the map had gone unnoticed! And thanks especially for the detailed responses, always good food for thought.

@ Dizzy: I anticipated the same problem. There is a combination of hard and soft kill zone in the cave, and the coastline is only used for the attacking Spartans in Invasion. Extra rocks are added for cover then, but beyond that, soft kill zones cover both of the beach paths off the island that are partially submerged. You're stuck there.

@ Cluto: Thanks for the suggestions, it is something I've messed with a bit, and may mess with further depending how it plays with a larger group.

Unfortunately... tunnels don't photograph well. The tunnel leading up to the first half has three ramps leading to the top, and a larger room down below that does have a teleporter to the second half of the wall, just below a perch for the DMR or other rifles. Since the area was designed for one way objective games, there are enough chokepoints to keep it interesting, but not game breaking. An MLG map though, this is not, I don't have the intuition for that style of play. My maps tend to have too many explosions anyways.

The area between the mancannons is a ramp for vehicles to bounce between the bases. It's the idea that got map got started, and is a lot of fun to drive a warthog through when people are dying just above.

Thanks again,