Advanced Guide to Respawns

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Matty, Jun 11, 2008.

1. siberian w0lf

siberian w0lf Ancient

I actually got all of them right on my first try! Of course, it's all thanks to your great information.

2. ToxikPandaKoi

ToxikPandaKoi Ancient

I used to always try to do this without knowing really how. Thanks for posting this. It is truely amazing.

3. Chilledyou

Chilledyou Ancient

Thank you for this. I have been wondering how they work for a while. very helpful.

4. Runic Aries

Runic Aries Ancient

I have a question i really need help with.

In a map I have been working on for a while now, Durring CTF and Assualt games i noticed how teams will sometimes spawn at the other teams base, I'm not sure why this is happpening, i have designated respawn areas at each base just the way they are set up in matchmaking, could you help explain this to me?

5. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

You probably need more respawn points. If the game doesn't have enough safe points for the teams to spawn in the influence will override the team designation. I would say that any less than 5 per person you want on the map is WAY too little.

6. wi1lywonka

wi1lywonka Ancient

that guide helped, thanks a lot (W00t! I got the last one right!!! XDXDD)

7. CyberKiDxBRnM

CyberKiDxBRnM Ancient

jesus! and i thought guessing the spawn of the enemy in mlg was hard!

good thing im not special

8. Tillery

Tillery Ancient

this is my first post eva''''''''''''''''''''

9. Matty

Matty Ancient

awwwwhh <3

10. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

Well you picked an excellent place to put it. You might want to make sure your posts contain some useful sort of information from now on though. The moderators around here are loose cannons, and they are all corrupt.

11. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night
    Forge Critic Senior Member

What an incredible guide. I knew most of the physics of respawn points, but maybe now I can use respawn areas for more effeciency. Excellent job.

12. Aranore

Aranore Ancient

Ok. So i took this and played with it for hours, Ive noticed one main thing.

Height.

height is affected with spawns same way as distance is inside a spawning area. I had a double box end-on-end spawn with a low priority span order and a ground level spawn with a high priority or spawn zone. I was IN the double box one with a gauss hog, and my spawn dummy always went to the highest. I made them the same, and then it was more random.

any tips?

13. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

I'm not sure if it's because I'm drunk, or I don't understand you, or both, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

14. Aranore

Aranore Ancient

I have a map set up with a main room and roof with a ton of spawn points on one of my maps. there is a hole in the roof, at the top of this hole is a smaller "extra spawn room" but for some reason it ONLY spawns there. I have 3 spots and all three are continually used.

Like.. I have a spawning area throughout the whole thing, and i only want people going up there if there are enemies in the main section, but they only spawn there. even at the beginning of the game.

I cant figure out why >_<

#114 Aranore, Oct 17, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  15. ubercow229

ubercow229 Forerunner

TY for this thread. I finally get it :)

16. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

Ah I see. Well, the game is going to want to spawn them as far away from the enemy as possible, and if that happens to be in the safety of that attic you described, then that's where it will be. What you need to do is set a spawn area up specifically for each group of points, top and bottom, set the top spawn area to Spawn order 2 and the bottom to spawn order 1. See how that works for you.

Also, you're welcome ubercow.

#116 Devinish, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  17. belwrath

belwrath Forerunner

HALP!!

i have every only really used respawn and starting points and am deeply confuzzled :surprise:mg: about all the area stuff, heres meh dellema.

Me and my friend 'decided lets make this map more beasty'(a H3 version of L4D rooftop Finale) so we went out to the edge of the sky lvl (on sandbox) and built a lil base where after 3 min a hornet pass. spawns(the hilocopter) and a starting point. we are now stuck because no one ever spawns there either. weve tried just a spawn area but that wont work. so plz give some insight and if you want teh map ill give it to ya.

18. Devinish

Devinish Ancient

If you would like me to help you, you are going to have to post in a coherent manner so i can understand what you are trying to accomplish.

19. belwrath

belwrath Forerunner

Re: Halp!!

I'm trying to edit a map so its more like L4D rooftop finale, the whole map was built by someone else.

so theres a big base in the sky level and i made a double wall on the edge of the map(wont go into detail on how it looks) and theres a passenger hornet and a starting point on it. i want one human to spawn there but they wont they just spawn over with the rest of the humans. i got a suggestion from a friend to put a spawn area on it so i did, went into a costom and try'd it, it still didnt work. cant figure out why. and ive already checked the obvious(ie: team, gametype)

so if thats too cunfuzzling, i want a single human to spawn away from the rest so they can pick up two in a passenger hornet.

#119 belwrath, Oct 20, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  20. The EAKLE

The EAKLE Ancient

Very detailed and usefull. Thanks!

Out of curiosity, are the "points" of friendlies, enemies, and dead players estimates? If not, how did you find that a dead player is worth 5 times as much as a live enemy?

Anyway, thanks again!