Accuracy or Beauty?

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by CottonJJ, Mar 15, 2009.

1. CottonJJ

CottonJJ Ancient

If one were to make a remake and was faced with a choice of having to use a wood bridge or a ramp to make a walkable bridge on the skybubble, which would you choose? The Wood Bridge, which doesn't take anything away from the overall original map, but looks terrible if you were to place it. Or would you place the ramp, wich takes alot away from the accuracy of the recreation, yet a little more functional.

This may be a bad analogy, but would you rather choose recreating a map with accuracy or with beauty?

2. Wood Wonk

Wood Wonk Ancient

in my opinion, accuracy. most will probably agree.

3. SpeedDemon

SpeedDemon Ancient

For forging remakes i always go with accuracy first, and when i've made it as accurate as possible, i would go with little things that make it look better, but don't affect the map

4. HaterSkater15

HaterSkater15 Ancient

I would have to say accuracy because there is a lot of good maps that use the wooden bridge.

5. ForgeGod117

ForgeGod117 Ancient

In theory, everything should be as aesthetically pleasing as possible as long as it doesn't take away from the gameplay experience. A better understanding of the situation might help. Sometimes aesthetics are more important than gameplay.

6. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

I'd say accuracy, but a picture of the two different setups would make it easier for me to judge.

7. philthyphillup

philthyphillup Ancient

For me it would be beauty because it almost impossible to get
    an exact remake, so you should always do your best to make
    it look good.

8. BIGGnelson

BIGGnelson Ancient

agreed a remake does not neccesarily have to be the exact same map it just has to function well look nice and be as close to the original as possible but must maintain functionality as well as asthetics

9. Sarge525

Sarge525 Ancient

Accuracy always comes first, but aesthetic quality is important. The key is to balance the two, with accuracy taking the foreground.

10. Blaze

Blaze Sustain Designer
    Forge Critic Creative Force Senior Member

I think it should be accurate but with the changes needed to make it playable on halo 3... because a lot of maps are just made and look like the original but they play like balls.

So what I'm trying to say is... enjoyable Gameplay would be the first thing you need to perfect, but of course while keeping the original features of the map. then aesthetics.

Which ever is best for gameplay I would choose.

#10 Blaze, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
  11. Transhuman Plus

Transhuman Plus Ancient

The most important thing is choosing whatever suits gameplay the most, then how good it looks in the map, then how similar it is to the original.

12. EpicFishFingers

EpicFishFingers Ancient

Accuracy > Beauty. Do you think that any of the Foundry/Sandbox maps so far look pretty? If we could edit textures, I would say Beauty, but forge doesn't swing that way I'm afraid...

13. Shock Theta

Shock Theta Father of 4chub
    Forge Critic Senior Member

1. Gameplay
    2. Reliability/Durability
    3. Aesthetics/Accurate recreation of the original

In that order. I can't think of any logical reason to change the order unless you were going for a solely aesthetic map.

Good remakes are in some ways harder than an original map, because you have to nail the gameplay so that people actually want to play again and again. Luckily, old maps are usually well laid out, so this isn't overly difficult. Recreating it in forge, can be.

On top of all that you have to stay faithful to the original, or, as most people are seemingly frightened of doing, create a spiritual successor and have the confidence to rework parts of the map for the better. I'd love to see more of that - it's a great way to learn good map design and then challenge yourself within a supportive framework.