$5000 Budget Contest: Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Frozenlynx, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

It was mentioned. Early, often, and repeatedly, including in this thread.

[br][/br]
    Edited by merge:

The below quotes both date to June 22, and the first post with the rules in it was updated that same day. This has been clear for over two months, folks.

#361 Nutduster, Sep 1, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  2. pyro

pyro The Joker

I would have finished my map for the contest if I knew you would at least try to test them with the correct number of players.

It doesn't seem like this is too well run.

Just to beat a dead horse, every time I play customs we have to boot people to keep lobbies down anywhere below 16.

#362 pyro, Sep 1, 2011
  3. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

I agree that things could have been more polished, but considering this is the first time I've ever done anything like this (and to my knowledge, the first successfully ran user-made Forge contest (for Reach at least)), there were guaranteed to be bumps in the road. I should not have said it was going to "be annoying" separate the 2v2 and 4v4 maps. I only meant that constantly opening the party up to 2 more people every few maps and having to find people to fill those slots would get old. With an 8 player max (very specifically stated in the rules), it means we only have to do this a maximum of twice rather than six times.

I take some offense to you saying it doesn't seem well run, considering how much time and effort I've put into making this go as smoothly as possible. I made the rules clear in the very beginning that maps were to support no more than 8 players, but people decided to make larger maps anyways and submit them. That's their own fault, and they'll have to deal with it. Playing them at all is doing them a favor, as they ought to be disqualified right off the bat.

So instead of creating a map that follows the rules, you ***** about how you would have made one if you could have, well, not had to follow the rules. To further make a fool of yourself, you submit a troll map to the submission thread. Please take the time to think before you speak.

#363 Frozenlynx, Sep 1, 2011
  4. n3rdness

n3rdness Forerunner

So do you guys have some projected date as to when the judging will be done / when the winners will be announced?

5. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

Not yet. I was going to give them a once over, but the judge I was going to do it with didn't show. I want to get it done in the next couple weeks and will be making a post in the custom's lobby calling out a need for players who want to help us play through them.

6. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Just letting you know that I wont be able to judge/play until next weekend due to my yearly exams.

7. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

ah, i just messaged you with some info.

8. Xun

Xun The Joker

Doesn't it suck when you submit a map to a contest, only to realise you could have done something a lot more creative with it? There were a couple of things I could have done with mine, so I might edit the map and post it in the customs forum later. Not sure yet, I'll see how it fares in the contest first. Anyone else encounter this as well?

9. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

Not quite the case with me but I had one layout change that would have made my map more complex and interesting, but I could never quite make it work out - physically it was just too difficult to figure out how to fit it in, at least without changing some other parts pretty substantially. I quite like the map as it is, it's just very simple and straightforward; this would have weirded it up a bit.

edit - As soon as I said that I was inspired to go back and try it again, and I finally was able to make it work. Go fuggin' figure, right after the contest ends. It even stayed under 5000 budget after I swapped out a couple pieces for less expensive replacements. Anyway you'll probably be seeing an evolved version of Curvature pretty soon.

#369 Nutduster, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. Dizzyman572

Dizzyman572 Forerunner

Yeah, I hear you loud and clear. This is probably how game developers feel whenever they are about to release a new game into the world, but on a much smaller scale.

At the last minute, I decided to add little touches to help weapons stand out alot more from the enviroment, along with a little trick jump that'll help you flank enemies.

BTW, this competetion certainly does have a lot of worthy submissions that makes me quiver in fright. Good luck to everyone and I hope you had as much fun, with this competetion, as I have.

#370 Dizzyman572, Sep 4, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  11. MythicFritz

MythicFritz Halo 3 Era
    Creative Force

One thing I've seen work well in the past is preordering the maps in ascending player size requirements so that you only have to add players to your party as you test.

12. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

I'm likely going to try and do it backwards actually, going from highest player count to lowest. There are fewer large maps, and getting them done with first would be best.

13. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

I've gone through a third of the maps so far. I'll try and have the remainder tested by the end of the weekend.

14. Xun

Xun The Joker

Wowzers, very thorough, Mr. DTL.

Oh, I've reneged on my previous comment about just participating for the challenge, and am now participating for (possible) prizes, as I have recently created a Steam account. So bring it on. If you please. ;)

15. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

I think this might just be the best grey-user created contest ever. Like legit, no joke, honest to whoever cares. Its awesome! Just a pity I cant help with the judging due to exams. :(

16. Xun

Xun The Joker

I've checked out a few of the maps and they're pretty good, so I agree with you on that on, Cryp. Challenges bring out the best in people, I think, and this contest is a fine example of it. We need more creative contests like this, though not so soon. I've noticed contests popping up everywhere now that this one is finished. We should have a contest discussion thread where we talk about ideas and instigate proper, user-voted contests, hosted by ForgeHub.com, with proper prizes from affiliates and such. Not trying to put down those people who have taken it upon themselves to create their own mini-contests, but I think a community voted contest would be a much better approach to generate interest.

Also, Lynx should get his own little CT for starting this contest, as he has done extremely well to get it going and keep it going, in my opinion. And no, this is not bribery, as Lynx is not a judge. :p

17. Scobra

Scobra Ancient

Just a small bump to ask how far along judging is for everyone so far?

I know it's only been a week, but an update every now and again is always helpful.

18. Frozenlynx

Frozenlynx Forerunner

Yeah, I have been extremely busy with school and wont' have a spare minute until at least Wednesday next week. Draw the Line was downloading the maps, but he hasn't gotten back to me in a while and I don't know what's going on.

Not being able to download maps myself has made this process difficult to say the least. Sorry to everyone waiting on results; it may be a little while before the results are up. Rest assured, they will get done...I just can't guarantee the timeliness of it.

To say the least, this judging process has not gone very smoothly due to various complications that keep popping up. I promise there will be results and prizes though. Again, I apologize for the wait.

19. Xun

Xun The Joker

When life gets in the way, man, don't sweat it. Besides, I'd rather the judging be done properly than rushed and muddied up.

20. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Agreed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.