$5000 Budget Contest: Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Frozenlynx, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xun

Xun The Joker

Just to sate those who say Im a procrastinator, Ive basically finished my entry and have submitted it to TG for testing. Based on their feedback, I will act accordingly; either changing it to reflect what was wrong with it, or leaving it because it may be (probably not, though) awesome how it is. So take that, you nay-saying gits. :p

2. Draw the Line

Draw the Line Ancient

From personal experience, I recommend testing from multiple sources. The testers guild is one of the best resources we have here. I would still suggest doing more testing with friends or other forgers, just to get another outside perspective.

I'd keep testing and tweaking until I got closer to the deadline to ensure my submission was the best it could be, but that's just me :p

3. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

I agree, I still want a test or two on my new 5000$ map, then it will be ready, In all my testing, I have found nothing as an issue, so that's nice, though I want to try a few suggestions made.

4. pyro

pyro The Joker

I get that it's difficult to get enough testers for BTB, but not many people are going to make a BTB map under 5000. I'm pretty sure I was the only one planning to do this and I can guarantee now that I've gotten pretty far through it that building a BTB map under 5000 is like trying to fit the pacific ocean into a thimble by creating a singularity. My older one with a 7000 turned out to be painfully difficult to remove 2000 of stuff from. I guess I'll just finish off my BTB map and say play with team snipers or something.

#224 pyro, Jul 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  5. Tallt66

Tallt66 The Joker

Well I just entered my submission called "Face to Face". I did a lot of testing with some of my friends and I think it's a pretty fun map on most game types.

I am right at $5,000 too. I started adding aesthetics and I hit the limit before I knew it. I'm excited! This is not only my first contest submission but it's also my first serious map that I have uploaded. :)

Good luck to all of the forgers entering and may the best design win!

6. Xun

Xun The Joker

I was planning to do my own testing sessions, as well as have the TG test it out for me. I dont have a lot of time to organise a bunch of people to get together for a game, though, so I may have to just go off what TG says. I might be having a LAN night with friends soon, though, so I could road-test it then.

7. Oli The G

Oli The G Forerunner

right. Ampersand is finished. Time for some play testing! I still have $7915 of the budget left :)

8. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Wait, I just re-read a portion of the rules, we have a player cap of 8?! Since when?

9. Xun

Xun The Joker

Since always, I think. Its been in effect since the competition started, Im pretty sure.
    Holy crap, minimalism much? How you managed to pull that off, I dont know. If it plays well, thou shall receive a doffing of my cap.

10. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Shoot... my map is 5v5... I dont know what I'll do now...

11. broccollipie

broccollipie Forerunner

Wow didn't know that.
    If I could enter, I'd be pissed.

#231 broccollipie, Jul 17, 2011
  12. pyro

pyro The Joker

They just added it while I was gone camping. Yesterday it said new next to it.
    With a 5v5 map it should play fine for 4v4, but people who were working on anything bigger are really hosed.

Edit:
    Getting 8 people to play a tempest map seems to be more difficult than getting 16 to play a normal map so I don't see why you can't just not allow maps requiring more than 8 players on tempest. If you just made a TGIF party to test the maps you'd have to boot people to keep the party at 8 players.

#232 pyro, Jul 17, 2011
  13. Nutduster

Nutduster TCOJ

That was one of the criteria before the official rules were even put up, I'm pretty sure, but I don't know when it was added to the actual rules list. I distinctly remember reading it though.

14. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

Yeah, there's a pretty good chance I wont be entering this now...
    EDIT: Eh, nevermind, I was convinced my 5v5 map works 4v4. Just need some testing WITHOUT people not playing and maybe a ghost or two...

#234 Audienceofone, Jul 17, 2011
  15. Xun

Xun The Joker

Should work fine as a 4v4, man. Just make things, I dunno, a little smaller to compensate for the lack of two extra people? *shrugs* Im sure you'll work it out.
    That mades me lull. :p

16. Spicy Forges

Spicy Forges Ancient

Uh oh... the new school term has started for me which means Im only going to be online weekends. Added with the fact that I may or may not have procrastinated for the past 2 weeks on my map and instead played battlefield the whole time, my map might not get finished in time... :/

17. broccollipie

broccollipie Forerunner

And we haven't gotten any practice in for the throwdown. -.-

18. Tallt66

Tallt66 The Joker

The map I entered is a smaller map that would probably play best with 4 vs 4, but I designed it with spawn support for the full 8 vs 8. Is this okay?

I guess I am confused as to what draws the distinction between a 4 vs 4 map and a map that is for more players.

Is it the number of initial spawns or just the map size in general?

19. DUCK NG

DUCK NG Forerunner

It is more the map size in general. A quick example the map I'm working on (Orbis) is at most a 4v4 and for many game types that is pushing it. If I added more initial spawns that wouldn't make it an 8v8 map, but rather a giant cluster-blam of people and grenades if 16 people were on it at once. Btb (8v8) is larger maps, think hemmorage, highlands, spire, breakpoint etc.

20. pyro

pyro The Joker

The difference is that big team maps are bigger because they need to fit more people in addition to vehicles so they require a ton of budget and it would be really impressive to pull off a good one under 5000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.