343 announces Reach Title Update in September (Updated OP)

Discussion in 'Halo and Forge Discussion' started by Pegasi, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

I honestly don't see how this is true. The NR was more forgiving to spam anyway, so removing bloom will affect it less than the DMR, and much less than the Pistol. If they mean being able to hold the trigger then facepalm ...

#281 Pegasi, Sep 10, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2011
  2. Audienceofone

Audienceofone Forerunner

A hang 'em high remake? awww, lame. I never did like that map. Maybe I'll change my mind in Anniversary. Anyway when is this TU supposed to come out?

3. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

TU is due late September, nothing more specific than that, with beta playlists coming early October and finally CEA (ie. the maps) coming out on the 15th of November.

4. I Black I Eye I

I Black I Eye I Ancient

It'll affect it a bit less, might be true.
    I guess they mean: DMR takes quite some time to fire the following shot. NR itself is able to shoot way faster than the DMR.
    With no bloom, like they said, this weapon would become very good ;)

I have to agree to the "hold-the-trigger = facepalm" thing though ~.~

5. SargeantSarcasm

SargeantSarcasm In Loving Memory

truth. I've preferred the Needle Rifle on laggy games solely because you could spam the trigger if you were accurate enough. Though I do love the DMR.

6. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

But the DMR makes up for that by only taking 5 shots to kill rather than 7. Even with bloom in place, and it being less forgiving on the DMR, it has a shorter kill time than the NR. Removing bloom will only increase this difference in favour of the DMR.

7. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled
    Forge Critic Senior Member

Doesn't the NR have a much higher RoF?

8. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

It's not that much higher tbh, not enough to offset two extra shots in terms of kill times at most ranges.

Think about it like this: in the current, bloom enabled game, who considers the NR more powerful than the DMR? Very few people, quite simply because it isn't.

Most people would also agree that the NR is less affected by bloom (ie. that pacing is less essential, partly because of less extreme bloom and partly because of higher bullet magnetism) than the DMR.

So how, with these two points in mind, is removing bloom going to affect the NR more than it affects the DMR? DMR is already more powerful, and bloom affects it more, thus removing bloom will only accentuate this difference, putting the DMR further in front.

EDIT: And once again, the Pistol has an incredibly high RoF and still kills in 5 shots. The nerf on the Pistol is the heavy bloom, thus removing bloom is going to affect the Pistol more than either the DMR or the NR, even without the alternative 3sk Pistol that they're implementing for classic modes. Why 343 are harping on about the NR, the gun that will be least affected by this change, is beyond me. This is why I can only assume that their reasoning is that it can be a precision, fully automatic weapon, which I maintain is a stupid reason to call it more powerful.

#288 Pegasi, Sep 10, 2011
  9. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled

I'm not entirely sure why you're even arguing about this. You haven't had any experience with any bloomless weapons.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but let's judge after we've actually used the weapons.

#289 Overdoziz, Sep 10, 2011
  10. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

I know what the RoF caps are, because these aren't changing. I don't see how it's difficult to extrapolate what kill times are going to be like without bloom. If they were changing the RoF caps along with removing bloom (like they are for the 3sk Classic Pistol) then yes, saying what they'd be like in terms of kill times would be more conjecture, but they're not. We already have all the relevant information, it's not difficult to connect the dots. Hell I've gotten 5sk and 7sk kills with the DMR and NR respectively at full RoF, exactly because bloom is inconsistent, so effectively I've already experienced what it's like in terms of kill times.

11. WWWilliam

WWWilliam Forerunner

I just want to add that you can pull the trigger after each DMR shot and hold it until it shoots and repeat to have perfect Rof with the DMR.

Which eliminates human error and essentially gives it automatic properties. (only disadvantage is you have to let go of the trigger every so often)

Automatic DMR>Automatic NR.

12. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled

Some guy I know who played with the bloomless NR over at HaloFest said that apparently the NR gave automatic headshots if you shot someone in the chest. I'm not entirely sure how reliable that guy is as a source since he's been opposed to the TU from the beginning, but that still doesn't sound very great.

13. Skisma

Skisma Creative Force

Yea i doubt it. He was probably joking. There's no way 343 would do something like this.

14. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled

If it was true it would probably be a glitch anyway.

15. Pegasi

Pegasi Ancient

The NR does have slightly more bullet magnetism than the DMR, as was proven during the ongoing 110% damage NR movement at MLG. There's a video of a guy putting his DMR reticle just slightly to the right of an enemy's head and firing, scoring no hits, he then switches to the NR without moving the reticle and this time scores hits, killing with a head shot. It's not a massive difference in how forgiving the bullet magnetism is, but it's still there. I don't see how this could result in what he's talking about, though, since I'm pretty sure bullet magnetism only acts in drawing bullets towards the target, and if they were already going to hit the chest then I don't think it has priority to draw them towards the head.

16. Rorak Kuroda

Rorak Kuroda Up All Night

I've been telling people the same exact thing, Pegasi, and for whatever reason, so many people are extraordinarily excited about the NR without bloom.

Also, on that last note:

My experience with bullet magnetism in the past usually leans towards the idea that bullets are drawn towards a single point, usually the head. I'd have to do experiments, but I think that aiming at the chest of an opponent from a medium-to-far range with the NR can result in headshots on occasion.

I guess to test it, you'd aim for a certain point at spartan, kill him with the DMR and find the area just below his head to get body shots, then try the exact same thing with the NR. I might try that out later today.

17. Titmar

Titmar Le Mar du Teet

its alien technology. they are head-seeking needles.

18. Overdoziz

Overdoziz Untitled

The needles have their own gravity and can choose where to go.

19. Shanon

Shanon Loves His Sex Fruits

The needles drive little hover cars and then ram them into heads.

20. Jex Yoyo

Jex Yoyo POETRY, bitch.

For an already prevalent example of how your theory is correct, pop on into a Revanant, passenger. The epi-sniper-hax glitch is little more than an increase in magnetism to make up for the difficulty in aiming from a moving vehicle, and it pulls nearly everything you shoot to the head. In fact, you can be aiming at a spartan's feet from no less than 10 or so yards away and score a headshot.