Debate 2012?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by xxAl Capwnagexx, Jun 25, 2008.

1. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

The Mayans had three calandars. I believe one was for crops, one was for religious purposes, and the last one (that ends on 2012) was just a timekeeping one. Something like that; regardless, they still had three.

So we're contemplating the world ending because the Mayans happened to have a calendar ending at 2012. The Mayans were some pretty smart folks, but I don't think they were that smart.

2. Azrius

Azrius Ancient

Many people believe the Mayan Calendar ended in 2012 because they simply considered that the end of a certain cycle of time. For all we know, they might have been planning out a calendar beyond that, which never came to fruition. I doubt we will actually know until 2012 actually rolls around.

3. RadiantRain

RadiantRain Ancient

They were smart enough to make the calendar accurate till this very day!?

4. EonsAgo

EonsAgo Ancient

I guess time can only differ so much even in different timekeeping systems. ?
    Actually, their Long Count calendar not only says when the world ends, but when they believe the world began. You still gonna trust it?

Here is some info on the three calendars.

5. Vinny

Vinny Ancient

Considering your viewpoint, I won't take your valley girl-esque comment too offensively. (Though, I do agree, there are some people in here coming up with some of the most random ****)[/QUOTE]
    I'm talking about posts like this:

6. Vinny

Vinny Ancient

7. Tex

Tex Ancient

Touché.

8. Wolverine

Wolverine Ancient

I somewhat believe it because my science teacher said most scientists believe Global warming will melt glaciers out in the arctic. Killing the penguins and making water warm leading to the death of small fish. With nothing for the bigger fish to eat they die off. With no fish at all left bears and other mammals that eat fish will die off. After that bigger animals die off. Then insects are gone. With no insects to pollinate flowers and plants vegetables cannot grow. No vegetables, fruits, or animals. We die.

If you figured this out yet...
    I LIED!
    Yea I really do sorta believe it though. I don't know how it'll happen though.

9. stickmanmeyhem

stickmanmeyhem Ancient

I would laugh my head off while I'm running from zombies if it happened the day after.
    EDIT: and also, maybe they all died off before they could put on a 22nd

#209 stickmanmeyhem, Mar 26, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2009
  10. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

wow what a debate, i cant beleive if it does happen its only 3 years away. If you think about it, it really sucks, especially since the 7 signs have to happen first. and the world has to agree on one money.

so think about that

11. makisupa007

makisupa007 Ancient

BS

Dude, you believe in human sacrifice too, if you believe in the story of Jesus Christ. Don't slam the poor Mayans calling bullshit on something you subscribe to as well.

12. Azrius

Azrius Ancient

So the Mayans were homosexuals who believed in human sacrifice? I'd say think before you speak, but since this is a web forum, I'm sure you did have plenty of time to think before you 'contributed' that viewpoint. Comments like that only make you look stupid.

13. abandoned heretic

i would have to know why they ended there if it was because of a meteor i wouldnt be suprised as the ancients for some reason were very good with astronomy but anyother reason i will not believe

14. stickmanmeyhem

stickmanmeyhem Ancient

I agree... I don't think they were so smart they contributed all the factors in to an equation that somehow lead them to believe that on december 21st 2012 the earth would end. The royal calendar maker probably just got lazy or quit his job to work at the local fast food joint. lol jkjk
    But seriously. How could mere humans predict the exact date the world would end?
    There are too many factors in that equation for a simple human mind to possibly comprehend.

15. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

What makes you think I believe in the story of Jesus Christ?

16. Cronato

Cronato Ancient

Evidence would show otherwise.

17. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

I argue whichever side I choose to argue.

18. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

what the hell does that mean?

19. aMoeba

aMoeba Ancient

Let's say there's an abortion debate. I choose to argue pro-life or pro-choice. I don't say what I am for, I simply argue for a side. Understand?

20. Yevah

Yevah Ancient

Well i know that but in the argument of 2012 you might wanna pick a side, i mean staying neutral in this argument is kinda pointless