$1.ºº on The Arcade

Discussion in 'Halo 3 Mini Game Maps' started by Dirt Jockey, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Dirt Jockey

Dirt Jockey Forerunner

[​IMG]

Author: DIRT JOCKEY
    Players: 1
    Download Map:
    THE ARCADE
    Download Gametypes:
    $1.ºº
    Territory Capture Time: Instant
    Time Limit: 10 minutes
    Lives: 1
    Base Player Traits: Unchanged
    **This Mode makes the map The Arcade UNBREAKABLE
    Practice Mode
    Territory Capture Time: Instant
    Time Limit: 60 Minutes
    Lives: Unlimited
    Infinite Ammo: Enabled
    Regenerating Grenades: Enabled
    Forced Color: Pink

Inspired by the most addictive single player games, I set out to recreate the traditional Arcade Experience.

In this Map you will be faced with 7 Unique and Challenging Objectives, each challenge was originally designed to help improve your basic skills.

The first 3 challenges can all be fatal, and the last 4 challenges are all time based. I did this to reduce frustration as nothing pisses a guy off quicker than dieing at the Final Stage, instead you will find yourself racing the Clock.

The challenges on the left were designed to improve your vehicle handling skills, and the challenges on the right are aimed at Accuracy and Timing.

Challenges:
    [​IMG]
    #1 Mongoose Challenge
    #2 Tactical Jump Challenge
    #3 Chopper Challenge
    #4 Sniper Challenge
    #5 Warthog Challenge
    #6 Fuel Rod Ricochet Challenge
    #7 Wraith Challenge

This animation illustrates the level progression as time advances.

[​IMG]

Game Walk-through:**I highly recommend you skip this section to preserve the integrity of the challenges**
    [​IMG]

1: Mongoose Challenge[​IMG]

Challenge Tips: Throttle control is very important in this challenge, simply gunning the gas will get you killed fast, Feathering the Acceleration is Key.

Overview
    [​IMG]

2: Tactical Jump Challenge [​IMG]

Challenge Tips: You have only enough Brute Shots and Grenades to complete this Challenge, don't throw them away recklessly.

Careful Timing
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3: Chopper Challenge [​IMG]

Challenge Tips: It looks like you have alot of room but you would be mistaken, Slow is the new 'Fast', so take your time and keep your arms and legs inside ride at all times. Proper Thruster Boost timing is very important at the end, so use it wisely.

Overview
    [​IMG]

Wall ride for the Win
    [​IMG]

4: Sniper Challenge
    [​IMG]

Challenge Tips: You have 4 Targets and only 4 Bullets, so basically you only get 1 shot at this. Remember to Exhale between shots and fire between Heartbeats.

Overview
    [​IMG]

Trigger Mechanism
    [​IMG]

5: Warthog Challenge[​IMG]

Challenge Tips: This Challenge also relies heavily on Throttle Control. During the Hill Climb it is wise to use a Lower Gear, but there is a jump ahead so Timely Acceleration is equally important.

Overview
    [​IMG]

6: Fuel Rod Ricochet Challenge[​IMG]

Challenge Tips: Ricochets are twice as hard as hitting the target directly, so attention to detail is critical, line yourself up and fire sparingly.

Ricochet
    [​IMG]

Target in the Sky
    [​IMG]

7: Wraith Challenge
    [​IMG]
    Challenge Tips: You MUST use the curved trajectory of the Wraiths Main Cannon, simply firing out the Turret will get you nowhere fast. You have unlimited ammo but at this point you are short on time so Line your Sights up carefully.

Wraith Challenge Teleporter Location
    Are you sure you wanna spoil it?
    Are you REALLY sure?
    [​IMG]

Beginning
    [​IMG]

Direct Hit
    [​IMG]

Success!
    [​IMG]

Side Notes:
    The time I spent testing this map is enormous, and the screenshots I took dont do a justice on the Countermeasures I took to prevent Cheating. This map is 100% Unbreakable if you use the right Gamemode. Please play the game before commenting on possible exploits, as you would be sorely embarrassed otherwise.

SPECIAL THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED ME TEST

All Images are modified with Ms Paint and used WITHOUT Authors consent. Thanks Microsoft and Dummies.com for letting me hack your logos up.

READY, SET, GO!
    [​IMG]

#1 Dirt Jockey, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  2. Jrcane4455

Jrcane4455 Forerunner

Lol; not at the map but at the signature you have. As for the map looks pretty well thought out but i do think the forging could use some work in some spots

3. Ferocious Leaf

Ferocious Leaf Forerunner

Yes! you posted it!

Please note that after realizing that 1 death equals game over on the regular mode, i swotched over to practice mode in the hopes of actually ever finishing the map, so all this is based off the rules of the practice mode. any way, on to the review.

ARCADE
    "7 Brutal Challenges. Can you complete them all? Made for the game "$1.ºº" Single-Player"​

The Challenges:

Mongoose track: this took me a few tries, but i quickly masteres it. i like the tight u turn on the tin cup, and the course requires you to maintain a little speed while not forcing you to risk your precious life careening through the course at full speed. overall, there's really nothing that needs fixing with this part, its very nice.

Chopper Run: i could not, for the life of me, complete this challenge. i can think of this being exceedingly annoying when, time after time, you are forced to restart the whole challenge because you skimmed the edge of the kill ball and your chopper sploded'. maybe give a tiny bit more room to squezze through. original concept though, and i couldn't get up to the territory w/ a nade jump, so good job.

Warthog Bridge: I epicly failed at this, and thus resorted to cheating. i figured out that by parking the hog under the jump between the two platforms then sticking it, jumping over, and letting the splosion carry you, it's quite easy to get in range of and capture the territory.

Giant Stairs: I fail at nade jumps, so i had my brother do this. the only problem was that when, on the last step, he fired the brute shot at the deployabel cover to get up, the shots would knock the spare covers off the sides down to the wasteland below, making it so the challenge could not be completed. maybe some wood bridges on the sides of the final jump would help.

Sniper Station: this challenge was straightforward and easy enough to figure out, while still offering a challenge. i like it.

Fuel Rod Bounce: I must say, this is an awesome idea. at first I tried to shoot up, but i quickly realized what i had to do. it's not so much skill as careful observance of how the shots trajectory is affected by different placements on the bounce stone, and a lot of luck. really original idea though, and i liked it a lot.

What I Liked: the originality of the ideas, the symbols for that teleporters respective challenge that can be seen from the walkway, pretty much everything about this map.

What I Had Some Problems With: the extreme difficulty of the chopper run challenge, the fact that after one death you have to restart the game, (i guess that's why it's called $1.00 though), and the lack of "guardrails" on the final grenade jump.

I noticed in the description it said seven challenges, but either i'm forgetting one or it only unlocks after you complete the first 6. is that wha the giant gun you see is for? i dunno. other than that, this map is fun and engaging, and a very fun puzzle(?) map. Great job!
    bam. there it is.

#3 Ferocious Leaf, Mar 26, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2010
  4. Csquared

Csquared Forerunner

In my rush to complete it in under 10 minutes, I jumped off the top of the jumping challenge, landed in the teleporter and my momentum vaulted me off far edge of the hub. Perhaps a wall in front of the teleporter?

5. bunnyfromhell

bunnyfromhell Forerunner

Great Map, I loved the originality and the challenge that each level brought. The only level that I had any real trouble with was the chopper challenge, because of the limited space in which you could traverse. Also, It seemed like the challenges that weren't focused on driving were easier than the ones that were. Other than that, I think this map is a great mini game map, and I will keep trying to complete this in under ten minutes.

Oh, and I almost forgot, for some reason when I try to download the practice mode, it says that the file doesn't exist on bungie.net. Are you sure that you have the right link?

6. MattV01

MattV01 Forerunner

This map is incredible! Somehow it got to be one of my favourite maps to play. It is very well forged, all challenges are possible to complete (lol, I hate the chopper and warthog challenges)
    Nothing bad to say about this map at all. Hope you make a second one with a bunch of new challenges.
    (P.S. Love your signature. It's hilarious)

Until next time,

-MattV01

#6 MattV01, Sep 12, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2010